• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help OC'ing my system...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Could it possibly be that the Vcore is too much? I've lowered it to 1.5125 and am trying Prime95 again

Failed prime95 at 1 hour 40 some odd minutes at 1.5125 volts. Stepped down to 1.50 and trying again

Ok...it failed again slightly after 40 minutes. I am seeing a pattern though which doesn't make sense...

It's ALWAYS core 0 that is failing...not core 1 ever. Any idea what might be the prob? I tried prime95 for over 12 hours on stock speeds...worked fine!

On the verge of giving in and saying F this...I'm going at it the otter way and I'll be back to let you know how it goes <grabbing pen and paper>

Ok...it failed again! Here is what I got so far...

Max HTT:

312 mhz boot stable into windows
HDD is on SATA 3
CPU Multi is on 6
LDT on 2x
Memory settings were as follows:
Timing Mode - Manual
Memclock Index Value (mhz) - 200 (this is the lowest my board will do)
CAS# Latency (Tcl) - 2
Min RAS# Active Time (Tras) - 5T
RAS# to CAS# Delay (Trcd) - 2T
Row Precharge Time (Trp) - 2T
Row Cycle Time (Trc) - 22T
Row Refresh Cycle Time (Trfc) - 24T
Read-to-write Time (Trwt) - 6T
Write Recovery Time (Twr) - 2T
1T/2T Memory Timing - 1T
S/W DRAM Over 4G Remapping - Enabled
H/W DRAM Over 4G Remapping - Enabled

Max Chip Capable:

HDD is on SATA 3
CPU multi is on 12
LDT is at 3x
CPU Voltage is at 1.5

230 failed prime in 5 minutes

225 failed prime in 24 minutes

225 failed prime in 3 hours and 40 some minutes using a 4x LDT and 1.55 CPU volts

225 failed prime in 35 minutes using a 4x LDT and 1.55 CPU volts and the following memory settings:
Timing Mode - Manual
Memclock Index Value (mhz) - 200 (this is the lowest my board will do)
CAS# Latency (Tcl) - 2.5
RAS# to CAS# Delay (Trcd) - 3T
Row Cycle Time (Trc) - 22T
Row Refresh Cycle Time (Trfc) - 16T
Read-to-write Time (Trwt) - 6T
Write Recovery Time (Twr) - 2T
1T/2T Memory Timing - 1T

I'm seriously at the point I want to give up now...I'm highly aggrivated because Prime WILL pass stock on both cores...but when attempting to OC...it won't pass on core 0...core 1 keeps running.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ok...what are the odds...

I set my computer when I went to work (10:30am central, it's 7pm now) at I believe 220 htt, 4x LDT, 1.55 cpu volts...and it's still prime95'ing

Could it be my M/B is freaking out the CPU over 220htt? Or could it be like Guitar Daddy said...and I have one bum core for overclocking?

If it's a bum core for OC...how in GOD's name would I explain to AMD that I want it RMA'd? LOL

Here's something to think about...

A8N-SLI Deluxe people have having this SAME issue with certain bios'...what's the possibility that this is my problem too? Some people can't get over 220 on the Deluxe boards just like I can't on my Premium one...

People with A8N-SLI Premium boards...what bios are you running?

K, Prime95 just rolled into it's second pass...so I shut it off. It passed in 10 hours and 35 minutes at 220mhz. So I know it's stable there...but anything beyond it (starting at 225mhz) it won't pass...so the issues still remain...

Yes it could be a BIOS issue or something else with the mobo. It could also be that the CPU, RAM, or some of the chips and mosfets on the mobo are getting too hot. If you don't have a fan blowing on your RAM, that's definitely worth a try. Some RAM doesn't do very well at all without active cooling.

And yes, it's fairly common for one core to OC a bit better than the other. But I wouldn't give up on your weaker core just yet.

Maybe I missed a few steps, but it seems to me like you're going about this backwards. Usually, one starts at stock and raises the OC in small steps. You seem to be starting with something unstable and trying to work backwards.

Besides being easier on the hardware, working up to your max OC is more fun than working down. When you work up, there are many successes as you gradually work out the best settings. It's also easier to figure out where the problems are. Right now, you might have four things contributing to your machine's instability. If you work from a stable point and change one thing at a time, you'll be able to see where each one goes wrong.

When you work down, everything is a failure until you finally reach stability. And it's very hard to isolate the problems. No wonder you're getting discouraged. :bang head It's possible you're not going to get to 2.7GHz with the equipment you've got. But I'd be surprised if it didn't OC at all. Start with a very modest OC and work your way up. It might be that the things you learn along the way will allow you to OC beyond 2.7. :)

hehehe yeah...you did miss a few steps...I did go from 200mhz and up per 5mhz incriments...but for some reason...it never worked out right...it was totally wierd which is why I ended up hitting 230 and working my way down. sometimes lower setting would be fine for over 5 minutes but then from 230 on down it would fail within 5 minutes...so this is why I've been so confused the whole time.

As far as fans, I've got that Zallman on the CPU, the heat pipe on the chipset. 2 80mm fans up front, and 2 80mm fans in back (not including the one IN the PSU) and one in the side of the case blowing between the vid card (top pcie slot) and the CPU

Here is the most current CPUz validation...my memory is running 1:1 with the cpu currently...full specs in a second...

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=28784

Timing Mode - Auto
Memclock Index Value (mhz) - 400
CAS# Latency (Tcl) - 2.5
Row Precharge Time (Trp) - 3T
Row Cycle Time (Trc) - 11T
Row Refresh Cycle Time (Trfc) - 16T
1T/2T Memory Timing - 1T

Last edited:
Is that stable? A 20% OC isn't bad, especially when you've got the top of the line core.

Have you tested the memory to make sure that's not what's limiting you as you go higher?

Heat definitely limits the air OC of X2's. Have you tried running with the side of the case off?

Never went that far...mainly because in the 1st and 2nd steps of finding out what my max is...the memory is always out of the subject because it's set so low...

I've seen others get way higher OC's on the same chip...but unfortunately they are using DFI boards and are WAY more skilled at this then me. I know of one person on another forum that has his 4800+ on an Asus A8N-SLI Premium running 2700 stable at 300mhz @ 9X multi and a LDT @ 3x so I know it's possible...just don't know why I can't hit it

Well, with overclocking the luck of the draw is always a factor. Maybe the other guy just got lucky. Maybe his mobo has a different revision number. Maybe the room his computer is in is five degrees cooler. :shrug : The variables are nearly endless.

Don't sweat it too much. I doubt you'll actually notice the difference between 2.6 and 2.7 GHz. so enjoy what you've got. Even if it's 3% slower than a similar setup someone else has, it's still going to blow the doors off just about anything else out there. :burn:

:( I know...I was shooting for 2.8 though! LOL Thanks for the help Otter...I appreciate it

Here is what I have and the meathod I used lastnight...

1. Max HTT/FSB should be first ..*only works if motherboard has locks. Most A64 boards do today. Sata 1 and 2 are not locked on some nforce mobos use 3 and 4.
- set CPU multi to 6 or 7, this will take CPU out of equation
- set memory to SPD and 100, and set LDT x2 or x3 this will take memory out of equation
- Increase HTT/FSB up until you fail to boot or there abouts, back down 5%, (HTT * 0.95), this is your max safe HTT.

Here are my results with what it was running...

While in windows I hit 365mhz using Clockgen, tried to boot, wouldn't till I lowered to 354mhz
LDT was @ x2
Cpu multi was @ x6
Mem @ SPD and 100
Cpu volts was @ 1.55
HDD is on SATA port 3 non-raid

Here is the second step I did...

2. Max Chip capable
- Set multiplier to it's maxium
-Set vcore to 1.6 -1.65 for 130nm chips, 1.50-1.55 for 90nm chips
-Set mem to SPD and 100, this will take memory out of equation
-starting with HTT 200 raise in about 5Mhz increments up to boards max found earlier or until you start failing PRIME95 which will probably happen first..only give it 5 minutes max, that's good enough for now.
-At the point it starts failing within that 5 min time period, back down 5%, (CPU MHZ * 0.95), thats your max CPU speed, now test prime again at 95% for 12 hour for stable.

Here are my results with what it was running...

I could hit 225mhz and pass Prime for 5 minutes on both cores
230 failed prime within 5 minutes on core 0, core 1 passes as always, did not go higher
LDT was @ x3
Cpu multi was @ x12
Mem was @ Spd and 100
Cpu volts was @ 1.55
HDD is on SATA 3 non raid

My system will pass prime at 220 for over ten hours. I did not try to pass at 225 again since I am still having the same issues as before. I take it that it's possible that I have one bum core right? This is really aggrivating

Last edited:
Newest developments...but I don't think it would cause my problem...

Well...I tried to push my memory...but guess what happened...

Here is how I tested it..

LDT - 4x
HTT - 6x
CPU volts - 1.55v
CPU mhz - 220
Mem Volts - 2.8v

Memory settings are as follows:

Timing Mode - Manual
CAS# Latency (Tcl) - 2
Min RAS# Active Time (Tras) - 7T
RAS# to CAS# Delay (Trcd) - 2T
Row Refresh Cycle Time (Trfc) - 24T
Read-to-write Time (Trwt) - 4T
Write Recovery Time (Twr) - 3T
1T/2T Memory Timing - 1T

Well...I went into windows using the above config...and opened up clockgen. Each mhz I increased I set the value, when I hit 224 mhz and set it...computer freaked and rebooted! Guess my memory is a tad bit touchy! LOL So...can someone help me a bit to OC this damn system of mine higher then the 2.64 that I can hit stable prime???

Last edited:
Newest settings due to recomendations from some people...

Ok...bios now says the following...

Timing Mode - Manual
CAS# Latency (Tcl) - 2
Row Refresh Cycle Time (Trfc) - 14T
Read-to-write Time (Trwt) - 4T
Write Recovery Time (Twr) - 3T
1T/2T Memory Timing - 1T

CPUz says...(overclock stable)

freq - 220
FSB: DRAM - CPU/12
Cas# Latency - 2
RAS# to CAS# Delay - 3
RAS# Precharge - 2
Cycle Time (Tras) - 5
Bank Cycle Time (Trc) - 11
DRAM Idle Time - 16

Last edited:
Looks pretty good so far. What is your CPU temp with both cores loaded?

not sure...what program can I use? I tried finding something called ummm...

damn what was it...smartguardian...but I wasn't able to find it. Was that what I was looking for?

Back