• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP OCing NF7-S V2.0 / XP-M 2600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eric003

This is my first thread, so bear with me... (hopefully this is detailed enough)

Specs: Abit NF7-S V2.0 (about 6 months old from ZipZoomFly)
AMD XP-MOBILE 2600+ IQHYA (I think that is the stepping, it is
whatever the really good stepping is...cant remember exactly)
1 GB (2x512) Corsair PC3200 XLPT(2-2-2-5 (SPD) platinum heatsinks)
SATA Diamondmax 10 300GB
EVGA Geforce 6800GT
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
ANTEC True Blue 480W
windows xp professional sp2, etc, etc
Cooling: SLK-948U (took me forever to track down like 6 months ago)
& Delta 92mm High speed fan 80 CFM 4000rpm
Arctic Cooling NV silencer 5
Arctic silver 5 thermal paste on CPU and GPU and GPU mem
coolermaster case with 2 x 80 intake fans - panaflo 40 cfm each
and vantec tornado 80mm exhaust, coolermaster generic 80mm top
OC: right now running at 210 x 12 at 1.825 Vcore and 2.8 Vdimm
at 2-2-2-11 timings (1T). cpu at 42.5C idle / 46ish under load
geforce OC'd using coolbits to 415 / 1.13 53C idle / 64 load

The issue I am having is that i cant seem to overclock the fsb any more that 210 because if I do, lets say for example i set the fsb to 215, it will freeze up on me during games, and i have to restart ("sound starts looping" type of crash). What i believe is the issue for this is that because i have the graphics card overclocked a lot it is sucking so much juice that there is not enough for the other components... I originally had my Geforce oc'd higher to like 425 / 1.15 and i couldn't set my FSB past like 206 or it would freeze in games and then blue screen and say something about the nv4_display.dll.. I googled this error and after some research it seemed that this was due to simultaneos overclocks on the fsb and the graphics card on an AGP system. I tried upping the agp voltage but that doesn't seem like it does anything. I would like to oc my computer farther as it appears I am not tapping into the potential of my system..I have seen people with like 260x11 and such. :eek: I would like to keep my graphics card oc'd though...it helps out a lot in CS:Source. Also, I am still using the default bios. I did see you guys' big NF7 bios vault...though there are like a 100 freaking ones, I dont have a clue what would work well...as there are no descriptions for each one that tells me what is different than the one above it. I also have not done any voltage modding, though I am in school studying Electrical and Computer Engineering, so if I need to do something like that, thats not a problem.
Anyway, I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice you guys might have... I know there are a lot of experienced overclockers in this forum especially with the type of system I have.
Thanks in advance,
Eric

Last edited:
eric003 said:
...This is my first thread, so bear with me... (hopefully this is detailed enough)

Yes. It is.

:welcome:

My guess would be (and I've just gotten an education on this) that it's an issue with your memory. Running at 2-2-2-11 is ideal for performance on an Nforce2 w/ 2x256. Might not be ideal with 2x512, apparently.

You could bump up your Vdimm to 2.9 but it might not do it. Bumping up the chipset voltage was a good guess and you might wanna' leave it up a bit. You can also try running at 2t and/or trying 2-3-2-11.

Check out the link in the second post in this thread. Seems to be right where you're at (me too, kinda').

What PSU?

Thanks for the advice man. I have an ANTEC True Blue 480W. I will fiddle with it tonight and see if I can coax the ram into submission. Also, when u said chipset voltage...you did mean agp voltage, right? I am going to assume you did... anyway, i think agp voltage is set on 1.7.. I will double check tonight and give you guys a full report on all the voltages..
Thanks again,
Eric

later that night..

okay, here are the voltages/etc before I messed with anything (per Flailboy's advice)
AGP freq: 66mhz (wtf is that anyway)
CPU interface: Enabled
Vcore: 1.825
Vdimm: 2.8 (max at 2.9)
chipset: 1.6 (max at 1.7)
AGP voltage: 1.6 (max at 1.8)
PCI latency: 32 (hmmm)

Okay, so I upped FSB to 214 and upped agp to 1.7V, and upped Vdimm to 2.9
booted into windows and i ran PCMark04 and it froze on the audio conversion test... hmm... audio card not getting enough power maybe? (lol, no PCI voltage setting, there is that PCI latency though) I was getting that crash in games that had to do with the sound looping and freaking out.. maybe the graphics card and cpu and ram are stealing all the juice away from the PCI sound card?? let me know what u guys think
Thanks,
Eric

Try getting a new BIOS such as Trats D27 619R2 1T. You'll have to google for a link to it. I can't seem to find it at the usual places.

Try lowering your Mult to 9 and upping your FSB slowly once you've got your FSB where you want it then up the mult. Set the chip 1.8v during this testing, it'll provide tonnes of voltage headroom. To get the chip to run at lower volts dig around for "Sentinal's Burn in worked for me" or something along those lines. Try all the chipset voltages from 1.4 to 1.7 to see which one your board responds best to and make sure to use Memtest to test. You don't wanna screw up your windows install. Set AGP voltage to 1.6(1.7 Beyond 230mhz.) There should be 0 errors in memtest.

Max the VDIMM to 2.9 and work from there. Set PCI latency to 255, this does more for the AGP than the name wants you to think. The AGP Frequency is the PCI lock you want it from 66mhz to 69mhz (The higher the more chance of corruption I run 67mhz myself my 9800 Likes it there).

OC one thing at a time don't do the video card, CPU and memory all at once start one place and work up.

It's a good idea to slap cooling on the southbridge and change the northbridge cooler to the Zalman ZM-47J. The stock cooler sucks.

Keep the RAM Timmings tight (2,2,2,11) is usually the best combo but it would only hold up to 220 max. Try (2,3,2,11), (2.5,2,2,11),( 2.5,3,2,11). You'll have to find the best trade off for latency and raw Mhz.

Tebore said:
Try getting a new BIOS such as Trats D27 619R2 1T. You'll have to google for a link to it. I can't seem to find it at the usual places.

Try lowering your Mult to 9 and upping your FSB slowly once you've got your FSB where you want it then up the mult. Set the chip 1.8v during this testing, it'll provide tonnes of voltage headroom. To get the chip to run at lower volts dig around for "Sentinal's Burn in worked for me" or something along those lines. Try all the chipset voltages from 1.4 to 1.7 to see which one your board responds best to and make sure to use Memtest to test. You don't wanna screw up your windows install. Set AGP voltage to 1.6(1.7 Beyond 230mhz.) There should be 0 errors in memtest.

Max the VDIMM to 2.9 and work from there. Set PCI latency to 255, this does more for the AGP than the name wants you to think. The AGP Frequency is the PCI lock you want it from 66mhz to 69mhz (The higher the more chance of corruption I run 67mhz myself my 9800 Likes it there).

OC one thing at a time don't do the video card, CPU and memory all at once start one place and work up.

It's a good idea to slap cooling on the southbridge and change the northbridge cooler to the Zalman ZM-47J. The stock cooler sucks.

Keep the RAM Timmings tight (2,2,2,11) is usually the best combo but it would only hold up to 220 max. Try (2,3,2,11), (2.5,2,2,11),( 2.5,3,2,11). You'll have to find the best trade off for latency and raw Mhz.

What ↑ he ↑ said :)

Seriously-that's all good advice and it comes from an experienced NF7 user. The bit about putting your vid card back to stock for now is also a very good idea. You can drive yourself bonkers trying to figure out what's going wrong when you've got four different things that could be messing up an OC. Start with the FSB.

Looks like this is the spot for BIOS updates . Later is usually better, but not always. Someone else is going to have to give you a recommendation on which to use.

Tebore??

Last edited:
Here is a good link to different bios flavors. I would start with the official D27 bios from Abit and see where that gets you. There is alot of good info in this thread. But the main thing to remember is OC one thing at a time. Start with your multi about 10.5 or 11 and your FSB at 200. Raise your FSB a little at a time, until you think you are at your max. Test for stability with Prime95 or PCMark. Save you vid card for last

well I just got finished typing up a long detailed reply and when I went to post it it wanted to log in AGAIN....so I did...and then it said it couldn't find the thread.... :bang head :temper: long story short... Upping my Vcore seemed to fix the problem..it looks like I need to do one of those voltage stabilization mods to decrease the amount by which my voltage varies. Also, the voltage that abit says in windows is less than what the bios setting is.
I currently have the Abit latest default bios. (Apparently D27) I will look into some of these other bios.. thanks for the links guys and advice. I will try and post again later (when I am less frustrated) the long detailed part.
Thanks,
Eric

Upping the VCore past 1.9 will require some Cooling on the PWMs. I have pictures which FETS to sink when you push high voltages through parts. The Stabilization Mods will help but you'll need to sink some FETs to keep the power clean.

They are the FETS near the back of the case between the cpu and case.

One thing you may also want to do is try the L12 mod
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=214364
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=161768

Look through Sen's Bios vault as well, Trats bios is very good, i am using the Mantasray i think dont even remember any more :)

The NF2 never did like tight timings with 2x512 so you will have some limitations with that, you could try running in single channel mode. On my board that helped out alot, and i was able to hit 260fsb, but runing dual channal i toped out at 220, wich is not uncommon for that board. Good luck, and there are plenty of us with NF7's who are still around and using them, so we will keep on helping until they like all things in the univers entropy.

Try Merlin's D27 TaiPan BIOS. With the original BIOS from Abit I wasn't able to go above 220 but with the Taipan I reached 245 on very tight timings (2-2-2-5).

Hey guys, sorry for the long delay between posts... This past w/e I got all the parts for my girlfriends comp that I am building her for xmas :santa:
So I spent the w/e doing that.
anyway, I did the two volt mods... I penciled the 1 & 2 resistor to help with the voltage drooping and variance. I then booted back into bios and the voltage was staying at about 1.86 and 1.85 in bios; when set on 1.9 in bios. I then penciled the 3rd resistor to help with the undervoltage. I booted back into bios: 2.13 Vcore!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I quickly shut it off and tried to blow some of the pencil off. I booted back in and quickly put Vcore in bios back down to 1.5, rebooted, and Vcore in bios said 1.80. So, I messed around with how much Vcore in bios gives how much measure Vcore and bios..and then how much in windows. I got it so my Vcore says 1.86 in windows. Unfortunately, I am still getting variances in Vcore down to 1.82 especially when priming. Do I need to pencil 1&2 resistors more? Also, when I came back into windows for the first time after 2.13V fiasco. It said that I had a bunch of newly installed apps in the start menu.. :confused: I looked and they weren't new..it was tellling me almost every app in the start menu was new... :-/ Also, I cant get msn messenger to work either...it wont connect. Besides those two issues, I haven't noticed anything else. I am afraid that maybe 10 secs of 2.13V messed up something? corrupt data?? :(
None of the temps got out of wack...I am in the basement..and it is cold down there. Also i had both sides of the case off...
Also, what is L12 mod...and will that help me? Do i need to do that to do the modded bios thing?
Thanks,
Eric

Help

okay, so now I cant get into windows :cry: I tried to pencil the 1 & 2 resistors more because the vcore was still going all over the place... Now no matter what settings i put in bois (overclocked or not) it wont get into windows.....it will bring up the windows loading screen and then go black...and then the monitor shuts off (as if its not getting a signal from the comp anymore) the computer stays on and seems like it is still loading and going through the normal boot-up procedure...but no visual... :( I tried to messs around with the bios settings...but no luck...I tried to "erase" some of the lead...but to no effect.. I could really use some help guys, I cant afford for my PC to DIE on me!! :mad:

-Eric

All right, well i tried to repair windows...but it had an error halfway through...said some file was missing or corrupt. So, I reformated and reinstalled, and it seemed to work succesfully... I was in windows...installing drivers and doing updates, etc. I left my comp on all night doing windows updates...came down in the morning and clicked restart. It restarted and then the monitor shut down right after the windows loading screen... DAMNIT, same problem as before! well now i am screwed i think.. does anyone had any ideas! or does anyone want to buy and of my aforementioned parts? :) may have to cut my losses and upgrade. One thing i did notice..in bios, under the PC status (where it lists my voltages) under the 5V rail. it says this: "4.:0" I dont understand that...what the heck is the colon doing there....

any help would be very appreciated
Thanks,
Eric

eric003 said:
thanks, man I will give that a try
eric i'm currently working with the same hardware as you are.

your you trying to do a fresh install of windows at your overclocked settings? if so, dont. reformat with your mobo's default settings.

i'm currently running 2.605ghz with 2x512 bh5 at 2-2-2-11 timings at 2t, 24/7 on air.

the first sticky in this section is "sens massive nf7 bios vault". when you need some info, do a search within that thread. there's so much info in there and you can post your questions in their as well. i'm still working on my board to see if i can get more mhz out of it :)

gl to you :)

Back