• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Overclocking a E8400 on P5W-DH-Deluxe.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intel-igence

Registered
Hi, This is my very first post.

Problem: 3.6GHZ boots ok but Blue Screens after about 30 mins. Not stable??
2nd problem, I'm not good at this overclocking business.

Ok, so now what I've done is i have put the FSB to 400mhz, it works ok but like I have said, it blue screens later after 30-45 mins.
I wanted to know firstly, does anyone have this setup in terms of same mobo and same CPU? if so, I would be delighted to know their voltages etc.

Now you will probably ask whats inside my computer.
it involves:

ASUS-DH-DELUXE motherboard (Bios Revision 3001)
Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @3.0ghz
2 x 2GB A-data DDr2 Ram 800mhz
Coolermaster hyper 212 plus heatsink (oooh yeah)
Coolermaster 430 Elite case Black.
120mm thermaltake 1225 exhaust fan,
1 X 80GB IDE Seagate HDD
1 X 500GB Maxtor SATA Hard drive.
Also most of the stuff on the bios is set to Auto as I don't understand what it means.

When I installed firstly my E8400 on this mobo for the first time, it was showing low speed, not booting up, crashing.. so i updated BIOS and now still plays up but not as much.

The Reason I posted here was that I am not an expert on this stuff but I thought that you people may be able to help me get a stable build thjat is over 3.6ghz.

Sometimes I just feel like banging my head against the wall like this :bang head when it blue screens.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Problem with cookie cutter settings are two-fold...

1. Not all systems are the same even with the same components. So while my system may be the same, my settings may not work...
2. You dont learn anything tjat way.

With that in mind, take a look at the C2D/C2Q overclocking guide linked in my signature. That should explain a lot and get you going the right way (off Auto).

Some other points...

Your HS/F (Hyper212) should get that dual core to 4Ghz no problems. What are your LOAD temperatures at 3.6Ghz (and what I mean by load is Prime95 Torture test, Small FFT).

Last and certainly not least... WELCOMe!!! :)

http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj423/ibrahimsacc/test.png

This is a screen shot of whats happened. A fatal error on worker #2. that doesnt sound good. Also I have not seen the temps go above 29.C on the "CPU" temperature and not seen any of the cores go above 60.C..

I hope you can help me fix the error. I have also put the voltage up to 1.23 something and it blue screens less frequently than when it was on auto.

I hope you can help me get it to 4ghz. that would be such a delight. :)

I think you are well on your way, and need to read that guide...

What is the VID(stock voltage) of that chip? You can see that by using Realtemp to monitor temps, its in the settings page somewhere I believe. Or DL Coretemp and its on the main screen.

60C is a good temp and you have plenty to go (keep it around 80C or less while stress testing).

You really need to take the major voltages (described in the article) off auto and move on from there...

also might want to check what your ram is running at and set it somewhere close to stock.

I have en e8400 and it's currently at 3.6, stays in the low 50s under load, current voltage is 1.28 according to cpu-z.

ran prime 4-5 hours and had no issues jsut to check, but this isn't the first time I have it up at 3.6. To be sure of your stability you should run it at least 12, if not 24 hours once you get to your desired speed, just to make sure.

And read the sticky, it's a bit long but it's worth the read

Hi, the VID is 1.2250 but I think I have it to 1.23 something right now on the bios. I'm going to read that guide now. :) thanks. Also Why is it that when I increase the Mhz of the cpu the ram sems to be also the same? I believe i have ddr2 which means 400mhz (my set cpu mhz) X 2?? does it double? my ram is 800mhz so I dont think ill beable to go over 400mhz cpu speed.

Please explain. I really appreciate help.

The guide explains that too... BUT, the memory is 'attached' to your FSB in whats called memory ratio or multiplier. At this point, you will want it set to 1:1 with your FSB so your FSB matches your memory ratio.

DL an application called CPUz and click through the tabs, specifically the first one and memory and you will see a divider/multi in there for the memory.

As far as going over 400Mhz/FSB, it depends on the sticks. Just like CPU's Memory can be overclocked to!!

OK i have some experience with the P5W-DH... had it for 4 years with my E6600. I must say its an awesome board... to of been around for almost 6 years now and supporting every 775 chip ever made pretty much is quite a feat.

One thing your going to need to do is get the bios to the latest (or at least the one that supports changing of vcore on 45nm stuff) which was bios 3001, which you have (there is a 3002 beta bios which fixes some S3 sleep state stuff) So your set there.

My first suggestion with that board is to see what your max fsb is. The 975x chipset is not one that lends it self to massive fsb overclocks. Most boards topped out round 420, i had a lucky board that would do 445fsb but it took alotta pushing.

So start by setting the multi on the cpu low, as well as the ram multiplier to rule those out as whats limiting your oc to only your fsb mhz. You are going to most likely need to raise the NB voltage, and i would recommend better cooling (take off the P5WDH cover on the stock NB hs and stick on a 40mm low speed fan... this will drop temps easily 30+*F). Next if you need more stability and or fsb out of the northbridge up the SOUTHBRIDGE VOLTAGE. This is not a joke, doing so netted me the extra 25fsb i needed to get to 445mhz on my board, again i would recommend taking off the little shroud cover on the SB hs and at least point a case fan at it or stick another 40mm fan there.

Also you might get some extra fsb stability by playing around with the strap FSB... im not sure if there is a setting in the bios (it might be under the ram multiplier options, where it will say such and such ram multi = such and such fsb strap)... what you want to do is try and make the mobo thing its at 400fsb strap default, this will loosen some timings on the NB and just like ram, might allow for some extra mhz. There are ways you can pad mod the cpu to fool the mobo into thinking its a 400mhz fsb cpu and thus 400mhz fsb strap... but if i remember things right there were at least a coupla options in the bios maybe.

After you figure out your max fsb, you can then go from there and oc the cpu then the ram like normal. Like i said 400mhz fsb is at the upper limit as to what the P5W-DH can do, VERY VERY few were able to make 445mhz fsb like mine... so you may or may not be able to reach 400mhz fsb with that cpu on that board unfortunately.

Ok, my divider is 1:1 . Also prime 95 failed. (i want to cry)

see pic, also cpu temp is somewhat 15.C (now I want to laugh)

Please advise what I should do now to get it up to 4ghz with cpu. When I increase the fsb of cpu over 405 then it doesnt boot up and then I need to reset the cmos partition and have to go thruogh the BIOS agian to set everything up.

please help. thanks. alot.

So I want to get extra FSB on my CPU.

Which one is the setting to increase the Southbridge voltage to get more fsb.
is it MCH volage or ICH volage? Also How would I be able to find out its original voltage.

And also How can I remove these errors on my Prime95 tests. I upped the voltage on the cpu to 1.2500 and now its a completely differant error on worker #2. see picture. (i figured out how to post images :) )

Test3.jpg

So I want to get extra FSB on my CPU.

Which one is the setting to increase the Southbridge voltage to get more fsb.
is it MCH volage or ICH volage? Also How would I be able to find out its original voltage.

And also How can I remove these errors on my Prime95 tests. I upped the voltage on the cpu to 1.2500 and now its a completely differant error on worker #2. see picture. (i figured out how to post images :) )

Test3.jpg

you may need more than 1.25000v to get to 4ghz on the e8400.

ICH = Southbridge
MCH = Northbridge

you may also need to bump the fsb voltage up one or two notches as well.

Hi,

Ok, Is the FSB voltage the "FSB TERMINATION VOLTAGE" which is just above the MCG V and the ICH v on the BIOS settings?

Also if I go above 406 cpu frequency, the mobo boots at 600 odd mhz rather than 3+ghz. why is this?

Ok - I have a stable overclock - finally.

the settings are:

406mhz cpu frequency @ 1.3000 V
NB : 1.65v
SB: 1.20v
memory 2gb: 1.8v @ 305mhz x 2 (ddr2) = 610mhz (up to 800mhz compatible)

Now if I want to increase the fsb, it restarts but POST's at 600 odd mhz, which is very very slow.

Why is this?

NB voltage is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to high.... FOr a dual core with 4gb of ram you should be in the 1.35-1.4 range I would GUESS.

WAit thats an ancient chipset... can someone confirm that 1.6v is ok for his current settings?

NB voltage is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to high.... FOr a dual core with 4gb of ram you should be in the 1.35-1.4 range I would GUESS.

WAit thats an ancient chipset... can someone confirm that 1.6v is ok for his current settings?

well, I only get like options that are above 1.55volts on the bios screen for some reason. I have lowered the voltage to 1.55 on the nb voltage and the vcore: 1.3+ voltage, cpu frequency is 407mhz x9 = 3663 mhz. looks stable at the moment but need to extensive test it with prime95.

I think i did the nb voltage quite high actually. However, I have followed advice and put a 40mm fan on the southbridge after removing the cover and put a 40mm fan in the NB too. Therefore, Im not too concerned about the voltage in terms of creating heat. :chair: lol.

next step: 408 cpu frequncy.

ok - I have it stable at 3.66 ghz with the nb at 1.55 v (lowest settings) however, if i increase the cpu frequency to 408, and the voltage to even 1.3375 on the cpu, it still boots up at 600 odd mhz which is extremely slow, then I have to reset CMOS and start all over again..

Any ideas on how I can increase to 4ghz?

ya 1.6v on that NB is normal... its an older NB so it needs the volts. U might need to go higher on the cpu voltage, as well as increase the NB voltage to 1.6 or 1.65 as well as bumping the SB voltage up one or two notching... just make sure you keep the NB and SB cool.

I have a problem.

No matter what I do, when I set the CPU frequency at 408 (currently at 407), it boots at 680 odd mhz and then I have to reset Cmos. No matter how High I put the vcore voltage, even 1.37 will not do. is it my memory that is limiting the overclock?

I have a 800mhz ram but currently running at 611mhz due to it not working over 810mhz.
it A-Data ram. Crap, I know, if its the ram that is limiting the overclock then i will go ahead and buy a 1060mhz high speed ddr2 ram module.

Thanks.

1.37v is nothing. Try and break through and put FSB at 415 or something..

If you have 800Mhz mem and running it at 600 its doubtful its the ram.

You're SURE you have a 400Mhz FSB hole?

400x10 1:1 would be your ideal setting.

UPDATE your bios! :). Not sure if your board supports it but if it has EZFlash you can just put the bios on a USB key, enter bios, and tell it to run the new bios off the USB key. Remember that if you have a system powerdown for whatever reason during bios update, your computer will become a paperweight.

SET ALL SETTINGS TO AUTO FOR BIOS UPDATE. DO NOT UPDATE BIOS OVERCLOCKED.

Also update your MB chipset driver in windows from ASUS website to the latest available.

Take a stick of ram out, look at the timings and voltage. (it's on a little sticker on the RAM) Make sure to match in bios.

(ie, 4-4-4-12 in all likelihood. If it's cheaper stuff could be 5-5-5-15 or 18.) Double check your electrical connections and CPU heatsink seating while you're in there.

Your RAM is not limiting your overclock, you're just misunderstanding how the RAM:FSB ratio works.

The guides about various architechtures and how to overclock them (ie, Core 2) are really well written. I had to read the one for my new system (in sig) several times to wrap my head around the very different architechture of i7 vs C2 but eventually I got it.

C2, tweak wise, is very simple comparatively IMO. I think you pretty much get it. If you read up on RAM timings and FSB:RAM ratio I think you're good.

According to the short lived Terminator TV series the CPU for a T-800 runs at 5V so pretty soon you won't have to worry about overvolting if that's any comfort (your avatar made me think of this). Hehehehe.
Your computer will also be mobile, robust, look like a dude, and be looking for a kid named John Connor but when you can manage to get it to stay home it'll probably run Crysis wicked good.

Last edited:
Back