• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Overclocking a E8400 on P5W-DH-Deluxe.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You're SURE you have a 400Mhz FSB hole?

400x10 1:1 would be your ideal setting.

UPDATE your bios! :). Not sure if your board supports it but if it has EZFlash you can just put the bios on a USB key, enter bios, and tell it to run the new bios off the USB key. Remember that if you have a system powerdown for whatever reason during bios update, your computer will become a paperweight.

SET ALL SETTINGS TO AUTO FOR BIOS UPDATE. DO NOT UPDATE BIOS OVERCLOCKED.

Also update your MB chipset driver in windows from ASUS website to the latest available.

Take a stick of ram out, look at the timings and voltage. (it's on a little sticker on the RAM) Make sure to match in bios.

(ie, 4-4-4-12 in all likelihood. If it's cheaper stuff could be 5-5-5-15 or 18.) Double check your electrical connections and CPU heatsink seating while you're in there.

Your RAM is not limiting your overclock, you're just misunderstanding how the RAM:FSB ratio works.

The guides about various architechtures and how to overclock them (ie, Core 2) are really well written. I had to read the one for my new system (in sig) several times to wrap my head around the very different architechture of i7 vs C2 but eventually I got it.

C2, tweak wise, is very simple comparatively IMO. I think you pretty much get it. If you read up on RAM timings and FSB:RAM ratio I think you're good.

According to the short lived Terminator TV series the CPU for a T-800 runs at 5V so pretty soon you won't have to worry about overvolting if that's any comfort (your avatar made me think of this). Hehehehe.
Your computer will also be mobile, robust, look like a dude, and be looking for a kid named John Connor but when you can manage to get it to stay home it'll probably run Crysis wicked good.

Funny guy.. lol

Hi, my multiplier is locked to 9 therfore its not 1:1, its something like 4:3 or something with 611mhz at 1.8 v. I can put the ram mhz to 811 or so but with 1.95v, its still unstable though and blue screens etc, the ram is crap so I dont want to stress it with 2.0V or over. anyway, your right about the fsb:ram ratio, i dont know how it works. there are no timings on the ram sticker, in fact I just set the timings to manual in the bios and left it there as all the timings come up automatically and I dont want to mess with something I dont know much about.

Now for the "1.37 is nothing", oh ok, when I go home, ill try 1.4v with 410mhz cpu frequency.

I have updated the bios to that of 3001. there is only one update which is 3002, Ill update it to that one when I go home too.
And I use Driver genius Pro to update the drivers for the NB, they seem all updated.
With a settings of 1.31v Vcore set at 407mhz x 9, ther cores do not reach above 59.C and Cpu never seems to go over 31.C, this is why I am eager to overclock it to even MORE!!!! Muwahahahaha.

I just need you guys to carry on helping my poor little soul..

Last edited:
My experience with this board is that in many cases 400MHz fsb is good result. I couldn't make it stable above ~405MHz with 3-4 cpus but with E8200 was running up to 440MHz in tests and stable at about 420MHz. With last E8500 I couldn't make it run above 3.6GHz ( cpu that on P45 boards was making 600+MHz ).
If I'm right then max in bios was 1.65V mch and to make stable 400+ with memory 1:1 you have to set max but then chipset is overheating so or change heatspreader or add fan. This board doesn't like memory above 800 and with some multis it won't work.
Now about bios ... there are about 30 versions with betas etc and latest aren't best but will add some cpu compatibility ( that changes almost nothing except that you won't see sign unknown cpu bla, bla ... ). 3.6GHz on E8400 is good result 24/7 and you can try more but you will see wall at about 410 and or constant crashing or blue screens from time to time under higher load. If you wish to oc this cpu more then better get some newer P45 board that will make 550fsb+ and will be cheap.

Yeah strap change is at 399fsb I think, if its like p965, tho I havent used a 975 chipset before.

Useing my e8600 on x48, then useing it on a p35 board, I needed to use more vcore for the oc I was used to. For instance on my x48 I needed to use 1.2875v with llc on and the highest setting, cant remember what it was offhand. On p35 I need to use 1.3v with llc on and x.64 I think it is for the highest setting, could be wrong. I use 1.55v on the nb and that 975 board is older then my p5k, so I would assume 1.6-1.65v would be ok, even 1.7v if the fsb and ram clocks are higher then 1:1 My current settings on my p5k minus the actual mobo voltage details are in my sig. Also, I know my p5k is good for 535fsb on a conroe, but I have a hard time running 500fsb with my wolfedale, at least I did the last time I tried. I <3 x10 multi heheh.

I can put the cpu fsb to 411 but then have to increase my MCH and my vcore to 1.4volts to get it running, so now I think my topps for this overclock would have to be a nice and easy 3.66ghz dual core running at 9x407mhz @ 1.32v.

However, why is my multiplyer locked? and how do I unlock it because everytime I change the multiplier, then it wont POST at all.

You know, I ran that chip @ 4Ghz in a P5Q-E... took about ten seconds.

Your voltage doesn't need to be anywhere NEAR 1.4V vcore to get an E8400 stable @4GHZ.

You sure you're locked @9? 3.9Ghz then :p. I could have sworn they were a 10 multi chip... Can't remember everything about everything though.

Your MULTI has no bearing on your CPU/RAM ratio/divider. Your BUS speed and then your ratio determines that. The multi is independant of the BUS, RAM, and DIVIDER.

BUS speed x 4 = your FSB (front side bus. IE, 4x400=1600MHZ FSB)

BUS SPEED X Multi = your CPU speed (3.9Ghz = 400X9)

RAM speed = BUS speed x 2 (on DDR 2 RAM by default) so, by default you'd get 800Mhz on a 400 Bus speed using a 1:1 divider. This doesn't mean you can't go ahead and use 1066 or 1200Mhz DDR2 if your board supports it, you would simply set a different ratio. See what I'm saying?

I doubt your're gonna get that board happy above 800MHZ RAM though.

UPDATE YOUR BIOS AND INTEL CHIPSET DRIVER!!! :)

I'd be shocked if you couldn't achieve what you're after if you have the proper driver support and bios support. I've run a P5QE @ 450 BUS for like 2 years with not very good cooling. It even posts at 500 and uses windows. I just can't use P95 or IBT or I bSOD. 400 should be a cakewalk.

Make sure to use load line calibration, disable all onboard devices (IE, a second hard drive controller that's not in your southbridge and you don't need) in your bios. Disable spread spectrums. Disable EIST, C1, and other CPU power saving features.

Last edited:
Please start little at a time! It was likely the Vcore bump to 1.3 V that solved it. I would start with everything at default, except for the Vcore.

Start with Vcore at 1.3 V and you may be able to hit 3.9 with that.

Please start little at a time! It was likely the Vcore bump to 1.3 V that solved it. I would start with everything at default, except for the Vcore.

Start with Vcore at 1.3 V and you may be able to hit 3.9 with that.

I think unless the power phasing is insufficient or there is no bios support officially for the CPU you can guarantee 3.9 on 1.3V. I did it on 1.2ish and was fairly shocked at the time in 2008. I got the thing stable at 3.33 with like freakin <1.10 it was crazy.

Have you tried a stupid high FSB and a lower multi? Try 450x8. If you can get that stable it's not a big leap into just over 4Ghz.

400x9 is 3.6GHz and not 3.9GHz like you've described in your post.

I just dont understand why my cpu take fricken loads of vcore to be at 3.66 (it's taking 1.31 at the moment) but when i fsb it to 410 then it will want 1.4. crazy. I'm going to mess with it now again.

And my multi is definately locked as when i Change it, it just doesnt boot up or even P.O.S.T......

Also my fsb:ram is 4:3 and is running at 305.3 MHZ and my cpu is running at 407mhz but 1.288vcore
on cpu id but is set to 1.31v in my bios...

any more suggestions becasue I cannot change my multi. Im going to selet highest NB and SB voltages then higher the fsb..

Thanks.

Last edited:
This is soo frustrating.

I cannot even get it to post when the fsb is set to 408 unless I bump the vcore to 1.4v. Ive heard people getting it upto 4.2 ghz with this cpu and I can't even get it to post at say 3.67ghz. I think its my mobo, it's turned out to be crap for this cpu.

or unless I'm doing something totally wrong.
It wont make any changes if I even put the nb upto 1.75v !!!! I just cant get it to post correctly.

I wish someone had the same mobo and same cpu so I could just inset the settings in the bios But i understand the every chip is differant, anyway, this is sooo frustrating, especially since I bought the hyper 212 plus cooler and therfore is capable of having higher temps.

Any more help would be appreciated.

Thing is, its an ancient chipset not made for Wolfdales. You may just straight up be stuck and need to get a more up to date motherboard (P45 based, like P5Q-Pro).

yeah, I know what you mean. Well, I have got the chip to 3.71 ghz BUT it has to be at 1.41v core (and fails prime test). I know, it's alot of vcore.

I think I'm just going to experiment a bit more on this board :) and wait until something goes BANG! I have another cpu which is 3.06ghz, I think its a p4, Should I overclock that? if so, what do you reckon the ghz would be on that when its overclocked??

if my mobo blows up, I can get Cheap Gigabyte ones from work, are gigabyte generally good?

thanks boss.

Last edited:
This is soo frustrating.

I cannot even get it to post when the fsb is set to 408 unless I bump the vcore to 1.4v. Ive heard people getting it upto 4.2 ghz with this cpu and I can't even get it to post at say 3.67ghz. I think its my mobo, it's turned out to be crap for this cpu.

or unless I'm doing something totally wrong.
It wont make any changes if I even put the nb upto 1.75v !!!! I just cant get it to post correctly.

I wish someone had the same mobo and same cpu so I could just inset the settings in the bios But i understand the every chip is differant, anyway, this is sooo frustrating, especially since I bought the hyper 212 plus cooler and therfore is capable of having higher temps.

Any more help would be appreciated.

1.75V NB = BOOM

Don't set damaging voltages. You have a much older chipset but on a P35 or P45, IMO, going anything significantly over 1.4V is bonkers. Older chipsets would want 1.5 or so but 1.75 is scary high.

yeah, I understand now.

I think Im going to leave the system as it is now becasue It's at it's sweet spot with these settings:

1.31v core ( set in bios )
1.55 NB
1.25 SB
407 fequency
4:3 Ram divider (so ram running at 611 mhz or something)

Its at 3.66ghz, I am pretty happy with that at the moment after realizing that this board is not really made for this cpu especially 45nm chips.

My dads got a asus P5N-MX, I might just ask him to swap ;) lol.
If he does then its my luck or I can buy a gigabyte motherboard from work, they are pretty cheap at work, are gigabyte boards good for overclocking??

Thanks.

If he does then its my luck or I can buy a gigabyte motherboard from work, they are pretty cheap at work, are gigabyte boards good for overclocking??

Gigabyte has some great overclocking boards, however, they make a bunch of different boards, so you need to be more specific. Your best bet, for that 8400 is an Intel P45 or X38 / X48 chipset based motherboard.

Why don't you list the models of the boards available to you at work, then you can get some better feedback.

Gigabyte has some great overclocking boards, however, they make a bunch of different boards, so you need to be more specific. Your best bet, for that 8400 is an Intel P45 or X38 / X48 chipset based motherboard.

Why don't you list the models of the boards available to you at work, then you can get some better feedback.

Ok I know it's been a while now BUT I have found a spare motherboard in my house for some reason, I have linked it all up and its called ASROCK model name:penryn1600SLI-110dB

I don't know what this means, can someone help me over clock this one aswell?

Thanks. I think its got 1600 FSB support which is good as far as I know.

ASROCK mobo

WOW . I have just had a go at overclocking my cpu and guess what!

MY MULTIPYER IS UNLOCKED!!!

For some reason, it just didnt post when i had changed it in the asus p5w dh deluxe. now I have the settings to change it from 6-9 multi.

Also, there are a few other settings such VTT voltage and some voltage called something like GLREF voltage???? whats this? I can set it on normal or high.

thanks.

Back