• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help please....I'm being harassed!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myststix

Disabled
I LOVE Craigslist, it's been helping me make my long hard way though school.

However, I seem to have picked up a bully. He is using some automated program to flag my postings within 2 minutes of being posted.

I have tried not posting phone numbers and changing phone numbers. He will call EVERY posting and email EVERY posting looking to see if I respond.

He will even flag postings put up around the same time as mine, just to be sure he got mine.

He flags ANYONE's but HIS want ads.

His aim is to starve me out. It's starting to take it take it's toll. I'm not worried for now, because I have loans and grants coming in next month. But it does concern me.

Forget CL, all they have to do is ad a RECAPTCA for the flag routine to stop it, but they dont' seem to listen or care.

No, we have to use the MADD protocol.

I need an autoflagger tool. Anyone have any suggestion?

Are you saying you want to do the same thing this idiot is doing? You would be no better than him in that case..

It's MADD theory. He's flagging me because I can't stop him. If the same thing starts happening to him, he will stop flagging me, because he'll know I can do it to him. (Mutual AssureD Destruction)

This theory kept the peace for 40 years.

I may take what little funds I have and pay a programmer to make a flagging tool, and then release it on the Internet with the goal to encourage CL add a RECAPTCA to the flag routine. I've been asking nicely (has have 100's of others) but CL has turned a blind eye to this issue.

Sounds to me like you just want an auto flagger... :rolleyes: If someone REALLY is doing this to you and you fight back your just going to make him upset and he probobly won't stop. Let him call you and tell him that you want him to stop and if he doesn't your going to give his phone number to craigslist and report him for hacking.

The problem is that flagging is untraceable, since the flag will be valid without any response. For example.. I can flag posting ..../12345xx.htm with a single command

....flag/?flagCode=15&postingID=12345xx

So if I spoof the IP, one can instantly flag down any posting. Because you can send 100 flags per second or whatever until the posting is down. The problem is that you can program a search , for let's say, a name or phone number, even an image, and run a script on an RSS feed, so you can flag even before it hits the site, since RSS feeds are updated before the site is. It can run unattended.

CL could eliminate the problems with a RECAPTCA and a 2 step flagging processes. That would slow down anyone, since human input would be required on the RECAPTCA, making it unprofitable for a single person to flag someone continuously, since they would spend more time flagging than the other party posting, making it a losing proposition.

Even better would be the requirement to have an account, together with the RECAPTCA, since one could assign a certain amount of flags to an account within a certain amount of time (e.g. 2 per 10 minutes) This would make it very time consuming for a single individual to flag postings at will, but have little affect on valid community flaggings.

This wouldn't affect legitimate flagging because the work would be distributed.

The way it is now, a single person can take down ad's at will. As many as they want.

can the cops involved in anyway? since it is harrassment in some form and then perhaps they can contact CL ?

Well the members here are not going to help you write a script thats purpose is to disrupt another person's website and or postings. I think craigslist should only allow one flag per ad per IP. I don't think CL should require accounts or anything like that - not having an account is one of the big things I like about the site.

I think craigslist should only allow one flag per ad per IP..

It does, the problem is that IP's can be spoofed, since the flagging action takes place without any response requirement.

As for complaints to PD or whatever, there is no point. The person flagging could be sitting next to me at Starbucks and I wouldn't know. Flagging is completely anonymous.

I've had this problem for almost a year, I have a whole ream of insults and rants from this guy, from telling people to go and rob me, to all manner of slurs. But only in the last month has he gotten this automatic thing going.

Adding the recaptca would stop this. If only they'd listen!

Cyber Bully:
  • Repeated or excessive harassment with or without threats of harm.
  • Encouraging or suggesting that a person kill themselves. Threatening to harm to a person, a person’s property, a person’s pet or anybody else.
  • Threatening to kill a person, a person’s pet or anybody else.
  • Threatening to commit a crime.
  • Fraudulently posting private information in a public forum.
  • Posting private information such as names, addresses, phone numbers or email addresses in a public forum, chat room or on a web site when a reasonable person would know that doing so will put the target at risk or open them up to new harassment.
First thing. Do not respond to the bully in any way!! Do not acknowledge the person exists.
Now you need to contact or locate what law(s) you have available to you in your locale. That is the way to stop it. It will send a clear message and stop it. Law enforcement will have powers to locate and arrest the bully if need be. The internet is not anonymous as most think. Even with spoofing an IP, logs will show at some point. Where the jerkwad is from.

He, per se, is not the problem. He's exploiting a flaw in CL to harass me.

CL has been told repeatedly about this, via email, phone and fax. Yet it chooses to ignore the issue.

So, a tool must be made to force CL to plug that hole.

Now, he will still post harassing messages, but those can be traced quite easily.

Similar to the way Microsoft denies a problem exist until someone distributes and exploint. No security though obscurity.

CL has been told repeatedly about this, via email, phone and fax. Yet it chooses to ignore the issue.

Now, he will still post harassing messages, but those can be traced quite easily.

Similar to the way Microsoft denies a problem exist until someone distributes and exploint. No security though obscurity.

What can I say besides, "Welcome to Craigslist?"

That tool is law enforcement. If they as in Craig List allow illegal activities to go on knowingly. They might be held liable. You need to find out if your state has cyber bully laws or similar harassment/stalking protection stuff at your disposal. * Hint: It is an election year. An Attorney General might want to look good going after a high profile site. *

Not only will the web site be forced to fix the hole that allows harassment/stalking. The jerk could go to jail... Otherwise why put yourself in the bad side of the law. Hacking or exploiting a weakness in a site. Which could put you in jail.

Just gather up your documentation. Find out who in your locale you need to contact and let the law do it's job. Harassment/stalking is not something most cops take lightly, even online.

If you say, it won't do anything... Well have you even tried the legal route?

Last edited:
I just posted a 19" LCD on CL and it disappeard... I don't even see it in my listing history. Could this be a semi-related event? Can someone just flag a post and it disapears like nothing with no trace? I'm positive this thing was posted and now it's totally gone.

If you say, it won't do anything... Well have you even tried the legal route?

Yes, I filed a complaint last year, but I was told it was a civil matter. Yes, it's probably a violation of some law, but the police and DA have bigger fish to fry. They basically tell me they can't doing anything unless blatant violence or threat of violence is imminent. The DA can't do anything unless the police initiate it first. Catch-22.

"I just posted a 19" LCD on CL and it disappear..."

This exactly the type of situations that I am referring to.

I am going off what one of my buddies told me. I called him and asked what you should do... Not word for word, but close enough. Rather unusual your law would ignore stalking.. but if that's how they protect their citizens.. If you want to really push in that direction, which I would. Look up the definition of the word stalking (resentful) and your state laws..

Then again, I am in the city that banned Catch 22 :p And here it is the DA who files charges not the police. Coppers collect evidence.

Last edited:
You could take out a restraining order on the perpetrator and if they continue then they would have broken the order, then its a Police/criminal matter and a jail able offence, and then they/Police would also have the power to seize equipment used in committing such an offence
Also here Downunder its not just a Police matter it is actually a Federal Police matter, and penalties much steeper

I will, again, take my reams of printouts to my local police. I'm hoping someone there will take an interest.

trying to starve someone's livelihood is just too sick.

I hope you see that I hate douches like that guy. Stalking has no place in this world. I am not as concerned about how you make money. More about someone stalking you.

It is just creepy what the guy is doing. Just make sure the one's that detail threats and stuff like that are the basis for your side. Then for giggles (but take it serious) how long this has gone on. That is a very valid side to your case.

I do want to razz you and say you have that effect on guys.. And tell you don't bother and find another site. But I have to take this serious, as should you.
At what point will he no longer be a pest and get tired of the game... Hence why stalking is taken serious. I am sort of concerned for your safety and maybe others. Not so much where it is an emergency to call 911.
Even if it is misplaced concern. You never know how far a nut will go. He has shown he is crazy by keeping on you for over a year. I assume he is local to you also. So one day he might find out your personal contact info.. As he has shown he keeps trying to get. I would ask the question why... and what are his intentions.

Just remember each state has differing laws and such. If it makes you feel threatened.. Then you have the right to have him wear jewelry and a nice black and white taxi ride. Just follow through and then push for the patch on the exploit. Since it allowed the guy to get that far.

Last edited:
Just a comment here. It seems to me that there is more to this story. I think there is a reason this guy is 'stalking' you. Secondly, asking for someone to make a tool to retaliate to me is pointless. As you have stated it seems this guy already HAS a tool. Lastly This forum does not condone hacking. What you are suggesting is form of hacking IMHO. I suggest you heed the other offers and seek legal assistance. Starting perhaps with a good lawyer. Your current approach will likely land YOU on the defendant side of a courtroom.

Z

Can't you just tell him to meet you somewhere. You know... talk it out?

Friendly I mean... (Either that or call the cops and have them track this guy down and put him in the looney bin...)

Back