• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help prepping for first time on LN2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have done that before. I've found two things. If everything else is good it's not necessary and getting eraser out of the pins in the socket is nearly impossible. I have had it "squish" under the CPU before while clamping and that's when I decided I was further ahead without it. I haven't lost a board or CPU to water since my very first DICE attempt two years ago. So it does work.

That is what I was worried about with the pins in the socket. I destroyed one of these boards before and don't want to do it again. I will stick with the ring of eraser for now.

I need to order some more eraser as well as some armaflex and TIM. I'm just waiting for prime day on the 12th to see if I can get any good deals. Any recommendations on good TIM for LN2 use. I traditionally use cooler master ice fusion for my bulk needs and gelid gc extreme for my dellided chips, don't know how either of these will hold up at low temps though.

I did find another Stanley thermos at the local hock shop for a dollar so snatched that up quick. That gives me 2 - 1 liter thermoses and I found a cheap 2 liter thermos on Amazon I will probably get.

I've found with TIM the 2-3 degrees difference donen't add up. I just got a 65g tube of MX-2 from newegg. Seemed like the best deal. Not sure where you'll get the armaflex in the states. If you can find an art store that's where you can pick up some eraser if you need it quick.

I can get everything from Amazon and I get free 2 day delivery.

My concern with the TIM was it drying out or cracking under the cold of LN2 more so than the temp difference. I have read that some TIM's do not hold up well at the cold temps induced by LN2.

That gives me 2 - 1 liter thermoses and I found a cheap 2 liter thermos on Amazon I will probably get.
That's how I roll... I can't imagine needing 3 honestly. Save some money and buy a burger and fries. :)

That's how I roll... I can't imagine needing 3 honestly. Save some money and buy a burger and fries. :)

Will do, If I happen across another one that is only a dollar or 2 I will pick it up if for no other reason than to have a spare/loaner for the get together. Should be ordering most of the rest of what I need tomorrow so should have another update in a few days.

You have to watch the cheapies. Sometimes they don't work anymore. If it's full of LN2 and frosting on the outside then it's toast. I've had one of those

You have to watch the cheapies. Sometimes they don't work anymore. If it's full of LN2 and frosting on the outside then it's toast. I've had one of those

Good point I will have to test the one I brought. Figure I will fill it with boiling water and see how well it holds temp after 8 hours or so.

So most of my stuff that I ordered came in so I was able to finish prepping the board with only minor issues along the way.

So first of I finished getting the eraser around the socket. I decided to mount a temp probe to the cpu as well.
0717161612.jpg

I then got a shammie and gasket cut for around the socket.

0717161613.jpg
0717161613a.jpg

So I moved on to getting new foam cut for the pot and realized that the tubing I ordered fit the lower half of the pot but not the upper. Decided to use some of the frost king insulation that I bought for the back of the board to wrap the upper portion of the pot to make it the same OD as the lower portion.

0716162204a_2.jpg

Got everything mounted up on the board and am pretty happy with the results.

0717161626.jpg

So I have 3 things bothering me with the work I did that I would like some advice on.

1. Is the frost king insulation ok on the pot out should I invest in the correct size tube?

2. Should I remove the metal backing from the frost king insulation?

3. Does the shammy and gasket look ok or should I try again.

Thanks again
Lochekey

just make sure that the shammy doesnt keep the pot from setting all the way down to the cpu and allowing good pressure for mounting. I would remove the metal on the frostking just to make sure it doesnt have the ability to short something out, just as preventive measures. looks good to me. anxious to see how it goes

I wouldn't worry about the tinfoil where you have it TBH. I can't see it being a problem and it'll make taking the foam off easier. That frostking is pretty tacky. My only criticism is the foam gasket. Would have liked to seen it wider on the memory side. The seal between it and the foam around the pot is key to keeping the socket dry. IMO

Dejo,

I will double check but I think it was sitting ok I will drop some Tim on out and see how the mount looks.

Johan,

That is what I figured on the metal foil but wanted to see if anyone saw something I was overlooking. I will redo the socket gasket and make it wider. I was worried about that myself.

on the frostking I was thinking of him putting it underneath the mobo, as that also gets frosted up with condensate from the air- sealing it up will help with that- and in doing that with frostking I would definitely peel the alum layer off

Also check to make sure that temp probe doesn't affect mounting. Do you have a probe on the pot too?

Dejo,

Yes I put frost king on the back of the board and removed the metal backing.

Blaylock,

Yes there is one on the put as well. If I decide to keep it I intend to retire it for a better fit.

Johan,

I included it based on the work Funsoul did in the stickies for the extreme cooling section. I am not happy with it so far so am contemplating ditching it. From what I farther in the sticky, it allowed you to monitor the temp differential between the cpu and pot to help monitor If the Tim is ok.

I just do a test fit with the pot. I have had interference before so now if I have good TIM coverage I'm good to go. Personally I find it unnecessary and more likely to cause more grief then good. IMO

So I redid the gasket and trimmed the shammy away from the socket. I also ditched the probe.

0718161743.jpg

Back