• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Problem with my build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orkslayer

Registered
Hey guys hope you can help
i have built a few pc in the past with no problems.
i recently bought all new stuff to build a decent rig, that went all good.

then i thought why not make a crappy pc for muck around stuff so i scraped all my old part together and built one but when i turned it on no post beeps or any sounds (cpu fan spins perfectly dosent stop).

so i decided to bench test it out side of the case (was told it could be short from the metal)

all that was plugged in was cpu/fan, cmos battery, 24 pin atix and 4 pin atix
and the power switch from case, the same thing happens fan spins no sound/beeps.. :(

so i grab another motherboard i have and the same thing happens, i did this five times (yes i have 5 mobo they all have diff chips in it ) they all did the same thing, also reset the cmos battery, thought ok its must be the power supply got one that works (took it out of a working pc) the exact same thing happens.
so last thing i thought it must be the case (power switch cord) same thing happens!!!! with new case :mad:

I really dought that 5x mobos and 2x psu would just die when i was using em like month ago, (like i would be ok if something different happen to each one like beeps)

You didn't say you put ram in. I assume you did. Make sure the ram is seated well. Take all the sticks out but one. Are you using onboard video or a video card? If a card does it need a dedicated power cable from the PSU? What about the Hard drive? If its an old PATA drive make sure the jumper is set to Master if it is the only IDE device on the system.

Try plugging your PSU into a different power outlet?
first when i read this i thought troll, but i tried in case faulty cord or outlet didnt work :(

You didn't say you put ram in. I assume you did. Make sure the ram is seated well. Take all the sticks out but one. Are you using onboard video or a video card? If a card does it need a dedicated power cable from the PSU? What about the Hard drive? If its an old PATA drive make sure the jumper is set to Master if it is the only IDE device on the system.

you read right i had no ram or hdd or video card, i was bench testing looking hearing for beeps to tell me the pc is working, i used onboard to see picture

I would think that even without ram installed or hdd you should still get some sort of beep or lights coming on.

If you could I would still try to run with some ram/hdd installed.

Back