• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help reaching Max OC for my Ph2 1090T-MSI 890FXA-GD65

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If it's for gaming, unless it's a cpu bound game, squeezing the last few stable mhz out of the chip probably isn't going to give you much more performance. I would just follow my advice above find a 2 hour prime stable point either 3.7 or 3.6 and then start pushing it again. Another option, since most games do not utilize multi core processors, you may try shutting down 2 of the cores, "if possible" and see if you can push higher. If you have indeed hit a wall, either temp or cpu then you next step may be pushing the OC on the 460.
I don't do any folding (except laundry and that's no fun).
Ummm yeah! FYI when I'm stable 2 hours prime I can fold 24/7 for days upon end which is pretty taxing on the stability.

That's good advice mandrake. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get much out of my N460 with it's stock cooler. She tends to hit about 85Cish during 3dMark at stock.

I can't say that I'm completely satisfied with my OC as I keep finding myself poking around with the FSB and voltages trying to find the 'sweet spot'. I don't know, maybe I just caught the OC bug.

That's good advice mandrake. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get much out of my N460 with it's stock cooler. She tends to hit about 85Cish during 3dMark at stock.
Thanks, also when was the last time you really cleaned the GPU? If you use it regularly maybe consider redoing the TIM on it!?!?

I can't say that I'm completely satisfied with my OC as I keep finding myself poking around with the FSB and voltages trying to find the 'sweet spot'. I don't know, maybe I just caught the OC bug.
The Oc'ing bug is a nasty on if it gets you so watch out. :D Furthermore, this statement you made is the best way to find out what your combination likes and doesn't. Every system has it's own personality, if I may, even people with the same exact setup as you may not be able to plug and play your overclocking setup and have it work. That is why we try to teach and not just do it for users. I have learned most of what I know from the "Rodeo Clowns" thanks C/D, in here. Applying it and experimenting has taught me more and more. Pushing my chips for benching has probably taught me the most. Just watch your temps and keep the voltages to a sane level and you'll be fine experimenting.

Back