• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help spend my birthday money for new comp!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Moen, you should post lots and lots of pictures. I want to see all the action :)

BTW, are you putting this in your stacker?

Absolutely it is going in the stacker. Give me a bit of room for the future raid 5 plus the fact that my other comp case is meant to be a htpc. Which it doesn't do very well at considering it is a full size case but it is certainly smaller than the stacker.

Moen, how are you going to cool the Phenom II 720? Going to use the old Tuniq Tower?

I was thinking of trying to use it. I am wondering if I am going to need a different bracket for it though...

When Patriot first came out. It was when OCZ started to make it's move. More along the lines of change it's reputation. Since OCZ used to be known as total crap and liars. They did do well changing that rep though.
Now, during that time. Patriot had some good overclocking results, I don't recall anything fantastic from the brand, but nice and respectable.. Sadly the brand got lost in the OCZ media hype and them being all over what seems every review site and forums.

I would expect good results with that brand. I never really heard anything bad about them. Just an oddball respectable brand that never really made a huge move on publicity. Same as Mushkin.

I remember back when I thought gskill was a noname brand along with mushkin and patriot. I wouldn't buy something just based on brand. At all. I remember I had a set of 2gb corsair ddr500 ram that I was using with my amd 3500 single core back a few years ago. Great company. Biggest headache of ram (I think it was the board and the memory not liking each other) but as soon as I got the gskill the problems were gone.

I checked a few reviews on all the ram I was looking at and it looks like the patriot at the very least held its own against everyone else and the price was fairly decent. I will let you guys know how the combo works.

Patriot is ok stuff. Just the timings are a little loose and cost a bit more than other pickings.

As much as I used to like OCZ. They are mundane now. Plus I have had issues with DOA sticks, I also know a few others who had the same issue. RMA was painless though.. They are not the awesome possum they used to be sadly.
My pick instead of OCZ now, is GSkill. I got some sticks that were pretty inexpensive, yet allowed me to overclock the snot out of them. One set I own is rated at 800 and runs 1066! Not a bad investment. While having ok timings.

My corsair xms2 ddr2 800 runs at 1000mhz easy and I know it can go higher too. That is with a .2 voltage increase and stock cas 5 timings, so I beg to differ whether or not it isn't AMAZING quality. And NOTE:I am not bashing gskill and I am sure they are great ram as I have seen a couple sticks in action as well. Simply stating my love for corsair.

Chancecoats I am assuming you meant to quote me and not enablingwolf as he didn't say anything about corsair brand memory. I did.

That being said I am just sharing an experience that is all. I am just saying it did not play well with my motherboard. Whether or not they would have overclocked like crazy is a moot point for my situation. On the MSI board I had back then they simply wouldn't do DDR500 as advertised even when the tech support said it was doable on my board. That being said the MSI Neo2 Platinum was not a pleasant board to work with overclocking-wize. You can go talk to Rseven if you want to discuss that board (and get an earful).

I consider brands to be a guideline but not law. There are modules from all companies that suck, its just some companies seem to be very skilled at putting out more crap than others.

I chose my patriot ram on the reviews I saw, not necessarily the brand name.

My Corsair XMS DDR 400 RAM was nice back in the day, but I switched to GSkill when I bought DDR2 and I never looked back. GSkill will be my first choice next time I build, but I would definitely consider Corsair again if the price was right. I would consider Patriot, Crucial, Mushkin or others as well. Only one that really scares me is OCZ. They seem to have gone down and up and down again in quality and I don't know that I would trust them.

I chose my patriot ram on the reviews I saw, not necessarily the brand name.

I agree.

There is nothing wrong with brand loyalties unless it leads to bias and arrogance. At least in my opinion.

The person who buys only one brand of computer components is like the old stubborn farmer who only buys Ford F-150s. People like to stick with what they've had good experiences with. I'm the same! But... I think it's contrary to common sense to just buy the Ford without even looking at a Honda, Toyota, Chevy, or Dodge. Competition is a good thing, so take advantage of it!

Edit: Oops sorry for the double post :)

Chancecoats I am assuming you meant to quote me and not enablingwolf as he didn't say anything about corsair brand memory. I did.

It does seem like a misquote huh? I was doing an OCZ thing..
Though Corsair used to be the brand that was compatible with just about every board known to man.. If you could get it in your toaster. It would run easy at stock settings. Some of the modules did really good overclocked.

Now they shifted more towards the nice power supplies. More than RAM products it seems. A lot of us use Corsair products. :D I know I dig my Corsair power supply.

Now they shifted more towards the nice power supplies. More than RAM products it seems. A lot of us use Corsair products. :D I know I dig my Corsair power supply.

I would have a tendency to agree with this. Their power supplies are definitely top notch. Its funny I have an OCZ psu running in my comp :)

OCZ and Corsair have both been branching out. Both are making PSUs and SSDs nowadays. SSDs make sense for a company that makes memory modules, but where did PSUs come from? OCZ makes all sorts of cooling stuff now as well.

I guess the RAM market is just too competitive to stay profitable.

Back