• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Troubleshooting, motherboard and/or powersupply!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

feliximo

Registered
I've had a problem where my computer restarts, epecially from heavy load like craving games. I first suspected temps and checked them and dusted of. Then I suspected the GPU but test ran it with furmark on another computer and it ran flawless on Xtremeburn-in in windowed mode. On my computer the restarts happen while windowed mode is on. So now I am thinking of the power supply. Great thing is that my warranty will bring new parts but I need to know what is wrong.

However I am not sure if it really is the powersupply or maybe the motherboard. Is it possible to monitor the voltage with HWmonitor, SpeedFan or other software and compare it to something to see if it is correct? And if that is the case how can I find the correct voltage on each slot (VIN1, CPU VCORE, AVCC, etc)?

My specs:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Corsair CX 600M, 600W Modular PSU

Intel® LGA1150 Core i7-4790

ASUS LGA1150 B85M-G

Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600Mhz 8GB KIT

Gainward GeForce GTX970 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E

Crucial® BX100 250GB 2.5” SSD

Note; I've also done memory checks, sfc scans, reinstalled windows and cleared the computer of infected files.

Thank you!

feliximo, welcome to the forum.

The Gpu running fine on another Pc rules out it being an issue.
I suggest if it's possible, swapping power supplies to see if that is the root of the problem. If that isn't possible, you may want to get a Digital Multi Meter and test the Psu.

I was afraid I had to do that. But is it safe to say that the GPU is okey? And if the computer still hacks up with other PSU should I assume it is the motherboard or should I test and seek some more?

Thank you!

Yes, as mentioned, if it is ok in another PC, its ok.

Have you tried to run a stress test like in AIDA64 and run something against the GPU like Unigine Valley, at the same time? Does it restart there? If so, I would point to the PSU, yep. I would look to see if the 12v rail is in check with a multi-meter at that point.

EDIT: Felix, you have a $50 motherboard with weak power phasing (3 phases) running a quad core with HT and none of power phasing has a heatsink on it. Does the area around the socket (to the left of it, by those 3 black cubes) get hot to the touch? I would bet its the dirt cheap motherboard that is causing you issues...perhaps get some cooling on around the socket area is my first suggestion.

EDIT2: Do you have BIOS 0904 or newer? It needs that BIOS or newer to work properly with your CPU.

You have 3 different threads on the same problem though... please keep it to this one thread (I closed your other one you created after this one).

Last edited:
Sorry, I am stressed as Iäve worked on the computer for every free hour the past few days. Thought my thread my have drowned, thank you!

Well, slow down, and take a deep breath... answer our questions... :)

I suggest if it's possible, swapping power supplies to see if that is the root of the problem. If that isn't possible, you may want to get a Digital Multi Meter and test the Psu.

Felix, you have a $50 motherboard with weak power phasing (3 phases) running a quad core with HT and none of power phasing has a heatsink on it. Does the area around the socket (to the left of it, by those 3 black cubes) get hot to the touch? I would bet its the dirt cheap motherboard that is causing you issues...perhaps get some cooling on around the socket area is my first suggestion.

EDIT2: Do you have BIOS 0904 or newer? It needs that BIOS or newer to work properly with your CPU.

I really think its going to be the cheap motherboard. Either it can't handle the CPU, or your bios version doesn't support it and is causing problems.

I have not tried to see if it is hot and I have a proper fan on it's way for my CPU. I have no idea about the BIOS.
I have had the computer for about 1 year and 1 month now and everything have gone smooth ever since the problem appeared 4-5 days ago. I've play very craving games and never had problems on. So I think my BIOD should be okey.
I stress tested the GPU with FurMark, it went fine on fullscreen and reached a temp of 65 C. Computer crash when I try to stress test in windowed mode with FurMark.

I would still check the BIOS version (will show you in the BIOS). If you are not on 0904 or newer, update it.

If it worked fine for that long, I would almost be willing to bet its the motherboard crapping out on you because of its weak power delivery area just can't handle the CPU

Stop using Furmark please...it is considered a power virus and it only tests the GPU... we know that the GPU is good.

Run a CPU stress test like Prime 95 -> Torture test -> Small FFT and see if it craps out on you. While it is running, feel around the left side of the socket area and see if it is getting hot.

Okey I will check the BIOS version. I have tried Prime95 and nothing really(That be trying all the presets, including Small FFT). Temps were stable but I will see if the motherboard gets hot.

Edit: So while stresstesting with Prime95 with Small FFT the temp for the motherboard was around 33-35C except TMPIN3 which reached 81 quite fast. Computer did not act up while doing the stress test. I turned off and felt left of the socket, and it was warm, wouldn't say hot as I did not burn myself and could hold my finger against the cpu fan on the motherboard for a 8-10 seconds untill I felt a slight burning sensation.

BIOS version was 10.4.

Last edited:
If you were able to run prime and it didn't restart it's likely not the motherboard. Time to check the Psu.

If you were able to run prime and it didn't restart it's likely not the motherboard. Time to check the Psu.
:thup:

Run both P95 and Unigine Heaven at the same time... :)

Edit: So while stresstesting with Prime95 with Small FFT the temp for the motherboard was around 33-35C except TMPIN3 which reached 81 quite fast. Computer did not act up while doing the stress test. I turned off and felt left of the socket, and it was warm, wouldn't say hot as I did not burn myself and could hold my finger against the cpu fan on the motherboard for a 8-10 seconds untill I felt a slight burning sensation.
Touch it WHILE its stress testing, those components cool off quick after you stop the test...But you still felt it was HOT... that is a concern. You should be able to hold your finger there indefinitely.

BIOS version was 10.4.
What? That isn't their format. It appears to be a four digit number as I listed earlier... like 0904... https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/B85MG/HelpDesk_Download/. I would download and install the latest one (2501) from that link...

Please post picture of CPUz with the Mainboard tab opened so we can see the bios version please. :)

Last edited:
I know I can try another PSU or do some readings with green and black. However don't got the tools. And to get another PSU is gonna be slight troublesome. That's why I earlier wondered if there is a way to check the PSU with software.

Software is not reliable. You need a multi meter (they are like $20) to confirm readings from software.

It's a PIA but if you can take the PSU from the other computer you tested the Gpu in, it would help rule out whether it's the Psu or not.

I will try find the time to do so!

Thank you very much!

If there is anything else you want to inform me please do!

Back