• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with choosing the operating system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the lynchanater

Registered
hi everyone i know that this sounds kinda dumb but i just fineshied building my first computer and still havent purchessed the operating system for it i want to get windows 7 64bit as windows 8 i have read a lot of bad reviews about how its made for tablets and all that
but i was just looking at pc case gear and there are two types of the same opperating system for sale one is 100 dollars and the other is 240 dollars the first is the
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM
and the second
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Retail Pack
as this is a whole new computer with new hard drives and all that do i need to get the Retail Pack or the SPI OEM operating system
p.s. i want to do a disc install as well and the hdd is a 240gb ssd

OEM versions of Win7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following...

1. OEM versions don't offer any free support from MS support personnel.
2. OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on.
3. OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard.
4. OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows OS.

You might also want to check this out...

Licensing FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx#fbid=kZdlNKcGRhW?faq3

Back