• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with frame rate/system upgrade please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FuPaKiLLeR

Registered
Hey all,
I am looking to upgrade my current system (in sig below) to pull some better frame rates to make my new Acer Predator monitor shine. My current system/GPU's will not allow me to go over 120HZ . I would like to also get some future proofing done as well.
What do you guys think I will need to upgrade? I'm guessing I will be replacing the CPU, MOBO, Memory and GPU cards. I use this system to game on, currently playing RE7, WoW, D3 and would like to get BF1 soon. I also use it to stream Kodi to my home theater.
Budget,,,, hmm,, $800 ish.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

2x GTX 1080 or wait for the GTX 1080Ti to come out soon if you want a one card solution for 4k. AMD is also soon coming out with a killer one card solution code named Vega.

i7-7700k

16gb of DDR4 3200

Motherboard: many good choices here but you want a Z270 chipset. You currently are using an ASRock motherboard and they make great products now and many of our forum regulars prefer them on the Intel side.

Do you have a budget?

Last edited:
He said 800 trents. :)

You don't really have the budget to do what you want to meet your needs bud.. sorry. Your best bet with that budget is to wait and get a 1080ti, or get a 1080 now. Make sure you overclock the cpu to get the most out of what you have.

yes, thanks it is $800.
Also, i'm not looking for 4K, i am looking for 2K if i am correct. I may be confused.

You want 2560x1440, not 2k. 2k is technically 2048x1080. ;)

Clearly a gpu upgrade will get you the most fps increase. Go 1080 and overclock that cpu...then save up for a cpu/mobo/ram upgrade in summer or something.

I see what you mean about 2k/4k. Thanks.
If I did have a larger budget, say $1400 what parts would you recommend? The items Trents recommended? Could you throw together a best bang for the buck list please?
Thanks for your input.

Wait for the 1080ti launch. Should be around the 10th of March.

And overclock your CPU to 4.5GHz. Should be no problem with the 212.

Throw a couple of 4GB G skill sticks in the pan, and you have a meal that should feed your 1440p 144Hz hunger!

And overclock your CPU to 4.5GHz. Should be no problem with the 212.

Agreed. Pulled that off with a block @ the same performance level as the 212 without issue.

The difference between 4.0 and 4.5 is surprisingly big. :)

You MAY have to bump the voltage up for it, but in my case, stock voltage was plenty.

Back