• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with i5 2500K or Upgrade to i7 3770K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoobModder

Registered
Currently I have an I5 2500K not overclocked. A GTX 760 2GB and a Asus Z77 Sabertooth. I recently bought Assassin's Creed Unity and my CPU/GPU are having a hard time running it at high settings. I turned shadows down and it helped some but it still freezes for about 10 seconds every so often then comes back. Would getting a I7 3770k do me any good with the game and also future games or should I stick with the I52500K and figure out how to overclock it (very little experience with overclocking). I have the CPU water cooled right now so it runs pretty cool. Future plans are also to purchase a graphics card with 3-4gbs of ram on it. I have a GTX 560 2gb as well from when I upgraded to the 760 so I'm not sure if I'd have any performance boost from running that as the physx.

From what I have read on here, its the game, not your hardware... that said, I will step aside and let those that are in the know reply...

As far as overclocking, we have guides here for that! :)

You may be able to get better FPS out of the game by having a dedicated PhysX card... that is kind of how things work in that respect.

That's what I had read too was that the game isn't built really well so its not exactly the hardware but I wanted to get more opinions to see. Thanks for the response and I'll check out the guides.

You have a good cpu cooler and a very easy CPU to overclock. Get it to at least 4.5Ghz and get yourself a powerful GPU like a GTX 970. AC Unity runs badly on even the top end hardware, it is badly coded quite honestly. Ubisoft keeps dropping the ball... But that's another thread. Basically, overclock your CPU, get a 970 G1 windforce (Gigabyte) and overclock that too and youll have a much better experience across all games I promise.

You do not need a CPU upgrade yet. That 2500K has another couple of fightin' years left in it I promise.

BTW if you are in the USA and want a cheaper option to the 970 with similar graphical performance (*but higher heat, power draw, and no DX12 support) look at the R9 290. It is $250 vs about $350 for the 970.

Back