• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with OC 550BE Gigabyte MA785GT-UD3H

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrmonk7663

Registered
Hello. Can someone walk me through an OC on my system. I have Supertalent CL9 memory (1600mhz)...4gb.

I want to first try to unlock the latent cores, and if that works, overclock to 3.4ghz on quad core.

If unlocking doesn't work, then I want to OC to around 3.9ghz. Can someone please tell me the settings I should try for the memory and CPU?

Finally, people have OCed the GPU 900mhz faster....how do I do this with the onboard graphics?

Thanks for the help. I have read the OC guide...but it confused me lol. I have appropriate cooling for the proposed OCs.

Thank you,
Michael

(Windows 7 Ultimate)

Ok, I enabled hybrid bios and allowed all 4 cores to run and when I rebooted I got a blue screen with a technical error saying windows won't work....so i'm assuming that means that my latent cores are bad so I can only run this thing dual core....so how to I get 3.9ghz out of this 550BE?

Thanks.

did you try raising your v core?
also update bios
another thing try only running 3 cores..thats how mine is 3 was fine 4 was unstable

Right now I set my value core to 19.5 and left the FSB at 200....this gives me 3.9ghz. I set my cpu voltage to 1.50v What I need to know is about my voltage. Does it need to be at 1.50v or does it need to be higher or lower?

The GPU I raised from 500mhz to 725mhz. I have NOT touched the ram settings, I need help with that.

Thanks,
Mike

Ok, I did some testing and lower than 1.50V it got shaky....so I will stick with 1.5V. I am leaving GPU at 725mhz. So now all I have left to do is my RAM....I managed to figure out the OCing lol by a small miracle, but the RAM I need help with.

RAM-Super Talent CL9 DDR3 Dual channel 1600mhz (2x2GB) What can I do in the BIOS to make the ram speeds better.

FYI-I am not a gamer (obviously since im worried about OCing an internal GPU lol) Thanks!!!!

Did you increase the cpuNB speed? I'd go for at least 2200 if not 2400 MHz or higher. You'll see a bigger performance boost out of a higher cpuNB speed than you will from OC'ing the RAM. Not only does the cpuNB pass RAM data back and forth to the CPU it also determines the speed of the L3 cache.

You can't overclock the RAM using any kind of multiplier and, quite frankly, I wouldn't worry about OC'ing it either. But ...

If that's what you want to do you'll need to lower the CPU multiplier to 18.5, set the cpuNB multiplier to 10X, lower the HT Link multiplier to 9X, and set the stock RAM timings, voltage, and speed for 800 MHz (DDR3-1600). Reboot to make sure everything is working right then start increasing the HTRef above it's default 200 MHz speed. As you increase the HTRef the speeds of all components listed will start climbing as well - including the RAM ...

What cooler have you got on your CPU and what are your temps looking like? You really need to keep an eye on that as you try to up your O.C. Also are you testing for stability as you increase your clockspeed? OCCT is a good program for stress testing, You can also track your load temps.

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

Core temp is a very handy program for keeping an eye on your CPU's temps.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

No, I did not touch the cpuNB. All I did was up the cpu multiplier to 19.5 and upped the GPU to 725. Yes I have tested for stability using prime95....everything works great. Temps are from 27-31 and holding throughout the day like this. I feel these are good temps. I have the thermalight 120 rev C with a push/pull fan setup...fans are set at 133cfm. Heat is not a problem. The computer has been running well over 24 hours now with the simple tweaks I did. But this cpuNB sounds fun....so if i'm reading you right I can leave my ram alone how it is (currently stock timing and 800mhz..giving me 1600) and up my cpuNB for a gain?

Thanks
mike

Yep! Increasing the cpuNB will definitely show gains in RAM bandwidth and L3 performance - and probably latency, depending on your RAM timings.

Once you've OC'ed the cpuNB and got everything stable again you might try playing around with RAM timings. Unless you're already at CAS 7 you're much better off with tighter timings than more speed. An exception would be huge number crunching like encoding big video files or big Photoshop files, etc. If that's your primary goal speed is better but tight timings are better for games, office, browsing, etc - even SETI ... ;)

Ok, I put my NB mult to 12x giving me 2400mhz. So currently this is where I am at

cpuNB 2400mhz
cpu mult 19.5
Core V-1.50
GPU-725

HT is at stock 2000. Should I raise this as well or is there no benefit? I have not messed with ram timings or anything else in the ram.

On a side note...why does AMD OVERDRIVE show my core V as 1.32 even though in the bios it is 1.5V and also in CPUZ it shos my 1.5V....is this a bug in Overdrive that only displays the stock Voltage?

Alright, did some testing with OCCT. Computer had error in every CPU category. I upped the voltage to 1.52 and still errors. I backed the multiplier off to 19 and the cpuNB to 2200...ran with the 1.52. All was good. I backed the voltage down to 1.5 and ran again....no errors. Temps hit 37C during the OCCT test.

So right now stable I am at

CPU Mult 19x (3.82 ghz)
CoreV 1.50
cpuNB 11x (2200mhz)

I tried cpuNB at 2400mhz but it gave me weird temp spikes in OCCT. I re-ran OCCT with the above settings 2 more times, and all is well. I'm wondering if I should try going lower on the Voltage. I'm also wondering why it is unstable at 19.5x and 1.52V

Last edited:
Under 100% load temps hover around 36C...moving a bit between 35 and 37 with 36 being the temp it stays at the majority of the time under 100% load. At minimal PC use, such as surfing the net, temps are between 24C and 28C. This is at [email protected] cpuNB is set currently to 2200mhz, 200 higher than the stock setting.

But what do you have the cpuNB voltage set at? If it's still on auto try using 1.225-1.25v, that might help.

If you can, increasing the cpuNB speed to 2400 MHz also might help ...

Ahh, ok. The CpuNB is on Auto. I will try later to increase it as you said along with the speed and see if I can get OCCT to run with no errors. Previously, setting to 2400mhz gave temp errors but this was on Auto voltage.

Hey I looked at the cpuNB. The voltage stock is 1.10 It can only be increased by .1, .2, etc. There is another setting called cpuNB vid which also has voltage adjusments but in different increments. Which one you talking about? the cpuNB is impossible to set on 1.225 or 1.25...only 1.2 1.3, etc.the cpuNB Vid can be though.

From what you're telling me it must be the cpuNB VID.

I don't know why they label it "cpuNB" with a stock voltage of 1.1v - that seems like it would have to be the NB chipset and it isn't on the CPU. BIOS writers - go figure ...! :rolleyes:

I think it was the Northbridge. Sorry about that haha. Anyway, I raised the cpuNB VID to 1.225. Then I set the cpuNb to 2400mhz (previously unstable) I ran OCCT and everything came back clean, so it seems raising the voltage allowed me to raise the frequency safely. Now the the frequency and voltage of the cpuNB has been increased, would this have any potential effects on upping the CPU? I am at 3.82 stable....3.9 was unstable per OCCT PRIOR to the changes I just made. What do you think.

Thanks,
Mike

Back