• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with overclocking an AMD Athlon 64 3200+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AoiKunieda

Hello everyone,

New to the overclocking scene and wanted to try it out a relatively old computer as debut, I found this (splendid) thread from someone with the same computer, it helped me a lot, with it I did the temprature checks and and brought the PC in steps from 2.0 ghz to 2.2ghz, all while taking care of the HT link not getting too high.

However, there is a problem: I just can't change the voltage, unlike the guy in this thread who has problems with it at first as well, I can't even change it 'in crude steps' like he did.... Only place where I can find my Vcore voltage is under hardware monitor, in which I can not change it.
I don't know if it's due to this, but under advanced I got Jumperfree (''config system frequency/voltage'') of course. But I can only change AI overclocking, which is the only option in there, to 'manual', 'auto', or 'standard' (changed it to manual of course to change change the cpu bus frequency)
According to part of the manual of my PC, there should be two more options....

attachment.php

Long story short: is there anyway to make those options appear? Or should there be another way of changing the voltage without it? Also, is it dangerous to remain like this, with 0.2 ghz 'upgraded' and no voltage increase?

Sorry for my bad English and noobishness and thanks for answers beforehant ;)

EDIT: I just upped it to 2.25 GHZ for testing sake and it didn't boot anymore, I presume that 2.2 is indeed the limitation with my current voltage (unless I need to change something else which I don't know about yet). Really hope that someone can me solve this.

Last edited:
You'll want to go into the "Advanced" menu, then go into the "JumperFree Configuration" menu under that, then select "FID/VID Change." Once you get there hit Enter and change the option from Auto to Manual, this will enable the option of manual voltage control.

Then an option labeled "Processor Voltage" should appear on the JumperFree Configuration menu page.

I'm reading this directly from the A8N32-SLI User Guide.

Gonna need some system specs please.

AMD athlon 64 processor 3200+
2.0 Ghz single core (now listed as 2.21 ghz after the initial overclock)
1 GB Ram (now listed as 2 gb ram after I added some)
32bit windows vista
geforce 6150

If you need to know more please ask

You'll want to go into the "Advanced" menu, then go into the "JumperFree Configuration" menu under that, then select "FID/VID Change." Once you get there hit Enter and change the option from Auto to Manual, this will enable the option of manual voltage control.

Then an option labeled "Processor Voltage" should appear on the JumperFree Configuration menu page.

I'm reading this directly from the A8N32-SLI User Guide.

EDIT: I just saw that I have a a8n-VN CSM, Does that matter in any way?

and that's precisely the problem.... I don't have this '''fid/vid change'', or anything else that (seems) to be able to change it..... Not in Jumperfree, and unless I missed it after going through the BIOS multiple times, not anywhere else.
Listed under jumperfree configuration I only have ''AI overclocking'' which has only the three options which I described in my first post :(

Last edited:
I read through the Manual of the A9n-VM CSM and saw that the Vcore is indeed non changable.... That's a pity, I really wanted to use this PC to practice overclocking a bit more for the day when I'll do that on my 'yet to buy new PC'!
So unless someone knows a secret way of changing the Vcore anyway: no more help is needed!

finally: sorry for the triple post ;)

Hello Mammut,

Thank you for your reactions, the first option looks interesting to say the least, I'll try it out when I have a bit more time.
About the second option, I don't even have a performance tab on the control panel, only a 3d settings, display and video tab. I checked to see if my Geforce 6150 driver was up to date, and according to device manager it was (last update being from 01/2013). The graphical driver is version 307.83, and according to nvidia updater, no driver updates avaible either.
But is that all correct? I'm asking since you said: ''If you have loaded&installed the latest nvidia chipset driver for your motherboard, there is a Performance tab in the Nvidia Control Panel''

For the "performance tab" to display, need to accept some legal stuff/disclaimer in the panel.

I could not do that, and after some searching I found that I had to install a program like nTune to make it appear, after I did I could indeed agree to ''some legal stuff/disclaimer in the panel'' like you said, but when I did I got the same problem as this guy, DEP crashed the control panel:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...t-update-problems-control-panel/#entry1325373

After I unistalled ntune (later on I tried it with another ''tab adding program'' from Nvidea, but only to get the same results) everything was worked correct again, but only with those 3 tabs of course.
Seems it's even a Windows vista 32 bit only problem, pretty unlucky I guess.... Anyone know a fix? Without turning DEP off like someone in that topic suggests later on I mean?

aw yes, ntune, forgotten it, was a long time ago. Anyway I have performance tab running here. Control panel vers. 6.9.850.0 and nvidia system tools ver 6.08. Running Vista 32bit SP2, all updates.
(ntune is now replaced by nvidia system tools)

aw yes, ntune, forgotten it, was a long time ago. Anyway I have performance tab running here. Control panel vers. 6.9.850.0 and nvidia system tools ver 6.08. Running Vista 32bit SP2, all updates.
(ntune is now replaced by nvidia system tools)

Thank you! System tools somehow did the trick, got a working performance tab now.
Sadly though, the only changable options (vcore for example is blanked out) are the ones I could allready change in the BIOS.
That is HT-Bus and HT-multiplier.

Got 2 more questions now, they aren't related to the processor overclocking, but since my biggest goal of all this isn't overclocking itself, but learning things about it, I'm asking anyways.
1. Under the memory tab I see 'timings' (it's 7-3-3 in my case) what exactly is that?
2. Under the GPU/Geforce 6150 tab I'm able to change ''core clock'' and ''memory clock'', what does that do? and is it safe to change?

Thank you! System tools somehow did the trick, got a working performance tab now.
Sadly though, the only changable options (vcore for example is blanked out) are the ones I could allready change in the BIOS.
That is HT-Bus and HT-multiplier.

Got 2 more questions now, they aren't related to the processor overclocking, but since my biggest goal of all this isn't overclocking itself, but learning things about it, I'm asking anyways.
1. Under the memory tab I see 'timings' (it's 7-3-3 in my case) what exactly is that? Memory timings have to do with "latency" or the length of time the data flow is paused as it passes through various stations (as it were) on it's way through the memory module. Think of each latency as a gate in a cattle stock yard. As groups of the cattle are being herded through the stock yard they must pause at different gates before moving on and finally loaded into the railroad car. Bigger timing numbers mean longer pauses. If the timings are too "quick", i.e. numbers are too small, the data groups crash into each other and you get errors. Timings are one of the two parameters that determine memory performance. The other one is bandwidth which is the frequency. Higher frequency numbers mean better performance. Lower timing numbers also mean better performance.
2. Under the GPU/Geforce 6150 tab I'm able to change ''core clock'' and ''memory clock'', what does that do? and is it safe to change? The GPU does for the video card what the CPU does for the motherboard. It is the processing unit of the video card and has processing cores just like the CPU does. Overclocking it improves performance just like it does for the CPU. The basics of the process are much the same. to To overclock the GPU you start to increase the frequency of the "core clock" which needs to be supported by core voltage increase at some point to remain stable. It is usually safe to a point. Memory clock refers to the bandwidth or frequency (see explanantion above in 1. of the video card memory. Video cards have their own memroy which is separate from the main system memory. If you don't have a separate video card then the onboard GPU uses main system memory.

Back