• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with positioning case fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pavin

Hi guys, I have a Mercury ATX cabinet with the PSU on top.

Its a pretty basic one.

I wanted to reduce the temps a bit due to my high ambient room temps which are always above 30 C.

My current setup :

1.Rear exhaust - 90 mm fan @ 2500 RPM.

2.Side Intake (Blowing in on the processor) - 90 mm fan @ 2500 RPM.

I also have a side intake for blowing air onto the graphics card (which gets almost to 90 + C when gaming since its overclocked).So, will adding another of those 90 mm fans to blow into the GFX card reduce my temps.

My case only has these 3 fan installation sites.It doesn't even have a front intake.

So which is the best setup for me? Please help.

I spent a lot of time researching case design, fan CFM, positive versus negative pressure, intake/exhaust searching for better temps.

Based on what I've learned, you need a new case. There are plenty in the $50 range that would be an improvement. Watch the flow in this video. You're not going to get high flow with that case.

Agreed. Not much you can do except replace the case fans with high RPM/CFM/noise fans. And to compensate for only having the two fans, get really high CFM ones.

Other option is a better case.

I'm saving the money for whole new rig for now.So, spending money on a case now is not a viable option. Can you please help with what I need to do on the third intake for the GC. Should I make it all exhaust or should I keep my current config with a new intake for the GFX card.

My current config- 1.Rear exhaust (After seeing the video, I think thats the most important of all).Will keep it that way.

2. Side intake blowing air onto the cpu and heatsink as of now. Should I make this an exhaust?

3. Planning on adding another side fan positioned onto where the graphic card sits. Should I make this an intake or exhaust?

Please help. Thankyou for the video and inputs.

Ducts can help in some situations.

Post some pictures, let us help. :)

I'm saving the money for whole new rig for now.So, spending money on a case now is not a viable option. Can you please help with what I need to do on the third intake for the GC. Should I make it all exhaust or should I keep my current config with a new intake for the GFX card.

How often does case technology change? Get a new case now, and then just reuse it for your new rig. Good cases should last 7+ years.

If your saving up for a new rig in a few months, and have used the rig for 3 years, why not drop the OC till you buy a new one? No reason to buy all new fans etc when your gonna get a new case with your new rig.

bluezero5 - Will post soon.Thanks.
Conumdrum - I dont have a front intake :p . Only 2 side intakes and a rear exhaust.
Knufire - I might not be getting another rig until next June /July(Main reason to upgrade to a GT 630 in two weeks.9400 GT is killing me).

These are the images of my case (Sorry for the poor clarity,took it on a Nokia 5800)

1. Side ( One intake (up top) blowing into cpu and stock Intel HSF)

11062012620.jpg

2. Rear (Only space for 1 exhaust (down), PSU and its fan up top)

11062012619.jpg

What should I do with the side slot for the GFX card (intake or exhaust?). What would be the ideal setup in my case?
Thanks.

My temps when idling are :

CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 52 °C
Yorkfield 45nm Technology

Graphics
SyncMaster (1280x1024@60Hz)
512MB GeForce 9400 GT (XFX Pine Group) 63 °C

Hard Drives
313GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD322HJ ATA Device (SATA) 35 °C

My ambient room temp is around 30 C always.(27-33C)

Well, this casehasnt been cleaned for three years, and what about the wiring?

Clean the dust out of all the heatsinks.

Proper wire management helps airflow. So if its not tidy, cleaning that up with proper routing would help.

Can anyone please help with the positioning of the fans?

EarthDog -- I will certainly clean it while I'm free and about the wires, they are kept adequately tucked in at the sides,so no problem there.

Back