• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Ryzen 1700 overclock settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bimbongr

Hi guys,

I am new here and would like to thank you all upfront for your help and patience!

I have my new configuration built around the Ryzen 1700 for half an year now. I don't have any previous experience in overclocking but watched videos and read around the web and managed to get it stable around 3.8 but that's on almost anything at Auto. I would like to explore my options for optimal performance with custom settings. I am using water cooling as I know that matters. Here is my configuration:
Fractal Design Define C, AMD Ryzen 1700, ASUS PRIME B350M-A, 250GB Samsung 960 EVO NVME, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200MHZ, NVIDIA GTX 970, CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120, Windows 10 Professional

I will appreciate all advice on the matter. If someone has similar RAM, processor and motherboard and can share their experience that would be great. I will provide any information necessary.

Thank you again!

Your motherboard, the Asus Prime B350M-A, has no heatsinks at all on the power VRMs. So I'm not sure the motherboard can provide the 1.4V volts or so needed to get much further without the VRMs overheating. The power section of motherboards is very important for overclocking and the lack of any heatsinks in that area means it wasn't designed with overclocking in mind. But a Ryzen 7 1700 running at 3.8 GHz makes for a powerful system, and getting another 100 to 200 MHz is only going to increase performance by 2.5% to 5% anyway.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply! That's really helpful information for me. Do you think any customized settings for the RAM would do any better?

Regards

I have the same mobo, and when I got it early on I did try it with a 1700. My memory is rusty, but below is the link if you want to read around it some more as I took a thermal image of it while running, and the consensus at the time was it was ok hot.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...umor-Thread)?p=7998105&viewfull=1#post7998105

I don't recall if that was stock or OC though... I think stock, as that was early on and I was still testing it.

I also don't recall what mobo I was using when I did first OC the 1700, either that or the X370-Pro. Either way, I recall 3.6 on all cores was easy at low voltage (I think I rounded stock up to 1.20), then you hit the wall for every 0.1 above that power and heat goes up rapidly.

I am using a 1700 @ 3.7 all cores on i believe stock volts, 1.188v is what HWinfo says but i have a different mobo and cooler. (x370 Taichi and Noctua C14S). Been running stable for 6 months games and occasional prime.

I found that just going to 3.8 and beyond needed a pretty hefty bump in voltage that didn't seem necessary for heat and longevity unless you are really wanting those extra 200-300mhz.

Anyways the only setting I changed for a quick overclock was manually set my cpu voltage and ram xmp profile and then raise the multiplier.

Im sure someone on here will be able to provide much more help and assistance but the 1700 is an awesome cpu.

Back