• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with some parts :

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haturee

My rig:
Case: NZXT Phantom; Red Full tower
MoBo: Crosshair V Formula Z
Proc: AMD 8350 8 core
RAM: Ripjaw X 1866 2x4gb

I want to run liquid cooling, But the closest mounts would be a rear 120mm fan, then on top there are 2 x 200mm fan.
There is also a spot for 2 x 120mm, but they are on the case side, so i'm not sure if I could, or should mount it there.
Whats a good recommendation for me to do here? Or should I just stay air?

I have on the was a samsung EVO 850 250gm SSD for my hard drive.

I am having a really tough time choosing a video card. I dont know what I should be looking for or anything about
them really, I want one that will run almost any games on the best settings. But I also dont need the best of the best
would prefer one that could do 4k probably. Any suggestions?

Also I'm having a tough time choosing a power supply, I would prefer a fully modular for good cable management. Suggestions?

Right now the GPU is an msi gt 610, that was thrown in just to run stuff for now

If your going 4k, you will need the best of the best, 2 of them actually (which would warrant the PSU). EVGA Supernova G2 850w is cheaper, and the 750w is cheaper yet. You won't need that much though, unless you go with dual video, which is a pretty limited option on the AM3+ platform if I'm not mistaken. I would go with a quality 550w PSU, and stick with 1080p or 1440p with a single good card (970 or 980).

That's almost exactly what I wanted someone to tell me, so I knew the limits of what I have. I got this psu for two reasons, I know what I'm running now is no where near that wattage, but I want to have a bit more for future upgrades. And I chose this one specifically just because I like the way it looks.

I did not know that about the am3+ so that's a good thing that you pointed out. I know the i7 stuff is all the rage right now, but what would be the best amd processor to throw in here then? that best supports the 2 gpus, for future reference. What I have now is fine.

I plan on running a 980, but I don't know enough about each brand and specific little thing about them to make the choice on which I actually want to spend that much money on.

Haturee, what is the budget you're working with and have you purchased the parts you stated as "your rig" in the 1st post?

I don't have a budget. Price isn't a problem. That's reasonable any ways, under 1k a card for the gpu. I have purchased everything stated in my Sig

It's not so much the processor that's the limit for dual GPU, as the platform itself. You're limited to 16 lanes of PCIe 2 (if I'm not mistaken), which is split in half for SLI/CFX. I 'believe' that 8 lanes of PCIe 2 will bottleneck a 970/980. I don't believe that 16 will. Even still, if your board supports it (i think it does), SLI is still an option, so that PSU can still come in handy in the future.

As far as which 980, that is totally up to you. All of them are pretty quiet and cool, even the reference coolers from what I understand. Pick one that you like the looks of, or pick based on stock clock speed, or pick the based on the price-point you like the best. Outside of benching, I haven't heard the fans on my cards ever, they stay well below 80C when gaming, and I liked the way they looked (plus they were the most affordable ones at the time).

I will not comment on Sli/CFX due to my lack of knowledge on the subject. As far as a Psu with an 8350 if you're planning on overclocking with 1 gpu 650w is a minimum I would go with. Going with 2 gpu's and again overclocking play it safe and get a 850w. You will be surprised on how much wattage these Fx chips use when Oced!

I went with the NZXT HALE90 v2 850w PSU to be safe for future upgrades.
I ordered everything that is in my sig. The last thing I'm stuck on is the GPU
I know what I want, the gtx 980, now just trying to narrow it down to which.
And looking at the accesories and such now.

Back