• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with temp monitoring please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stormhawk

Hey everyone, I'm new here, and I am also new to owning a system that is primarily for gaming (with some video-rendering and Adobe application multitasking as well:D ). I've had this new desktop for about a week and a half now, and I'm loving it so far. My last system was an older Dell dual-core desktop with 1GB RAM and a Radeon 2400 series GPU. Definitely got myself an upgrade! Lol.

Before I get too into this, I want to point out that I'm not exactly overclocking, and I don't want to even attempt that until I'm sure there's a big green light giving me the right of way. I probably wouldn't do it myself either considering I've got a buddy who knows way more about this stuff than I do, lol. But I came here because I figured most of the folks here know their stuff when it comes to cooling and temperatures, and just about everything else too.

One thing I'm wanting to do is protect my new investment, so I've been keeping an eye on performance and temps. I'm not for sure if the parts configuration is solid yet, which is one reason why I have been monitoring it. Another reason is my room gets to be the hottest room in the house during this time of year (and it's only going to get worse), and I really don't want anything to fry if I can help it. But I don't watch them all the time, wish I was today. Earlier I had two games open at the same time, as well as Firefox (the games were WoW and GW2 if this helps any) and out of nowhere when I've got GW2 as the active game, the screen completely freezes and I was unable to do anything at all. After waiting for a couple minutes, I went ahead and manually restarted, then I immediately opened temp-monitoring programs. I know that my CPU is listed as having a max safe temp of 61C, and it seems to stay below that. In fact every temp seemed to be normal, and even the GPU temperature was below what I read it could handle...but then again, this was *after* I restarted the computer. While fiddling around with all this, I noticed that in my graphics driver software it listed the GPU's fan speed as only being set to run at 21%. I changed it to 60%, and I did see the temp drop a bit. I'll probably keep it running somewhere around that figure when it starts getting hot in here. I'm also working on making it so that it doesn't get so bad in here. I guess what I want to know is:

What do you know about the max safe temps for my hardware (in the screenshot attached)? I have found a lot of mixed responses for this.

Also can you tell me if you see anything wrong with the figures in the image? This was taken about an hour after the freezing happened and my room had been cooled considerably (I really should leave the door/window open more often lol). I opened both games back up again just to see what happens when both were running, and I minimized both games and quickly took this shot after about 10 minutes. I wanna be sure that this was just due to the heat in my room at the time of the freeze/crash and not something else.

And if there's any other pieces of advice you wanna throw in, feel free. I'm a noob to this stuff still.

One big thing in particular I am confused about in OpenHardwareMonitor is the "Temp #1, #2 & #3" listings under the motherboard. Does anyone know what each of those are reading? I assume one of those is the northbridge, but I can't tell which.

Thanks in advance!

tempsp.png

No more than 55 C on your CPU. To be safe.

If it reboots you could have a CPU mobo that can't handle the issues.
Think about buying a better cooler for the CPU. Or you have a software issue.

Back