• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with water loop-- first timer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nursingZombie

Registered
So Im setting up my water loop for the first time-- and have an ocd question. The pump i have is an mcp655 swiftech, which has both 3 pin power and also molex to power the pump. Im currently running a TX750 corsair psu, Crosshair4 mobo, 1100T amd, 16gb vengeance ram 1600mhz, 2x 6870's crossfired-- the pump is out of the ultima kit from swiftech. cpu is seated// ceramique applied to block...etc.

just having ocd about the power management--// do i connect it to the power fan on the mobo? use the molex? OPT fan on mobo...etc--// I need a bit of guidance from the experts as I dont want to fry anything. case is a Haf X.

Also, on the beginners guide it doesnt really mention any cable/power options. And just to clarify... loop is res to pump, pump to rad, rad to cpu, cpu to res? the guide states it really doesnt matter...

thanks in advance :chair:

I think I would post this question in the water cooling section since they actually should be on top of such situations more so than in the 'cpu section' of the forum.

You only need to connect the 4-pin molex to the PSU for the pump.

I've always sequenced my loops as such:

CPU-->Rad-->Res-->Pump-->CPU

Rgone... i did originally post this in water cooling --- i dont know why it put it into this forum for cpu?

thanks King! the reason you go pump to cpu is why though ultimately? to have the flow rate highest at cpu?
Ive read that people do pump to rad for the cooler rad temp to cpu...
just wondering your methodology on ur loop setup as i have no reference of my own.

you use the four pin molex plug for power and the three pin plugs into cpu opt for rpm signal i think.

no big deal, you tranfer the most heat when you tranfer the heat when the media(water) is hottest, you heat the pump and other things if you pump the hottest water through them.
but at the btus we are taking about it really not much of an issue.

I did as you said as it makes sense-- i was thinking pump to rad as it would be the coldest water for the hottest component. But as you stated, why heat everything just to keep 1 part down when the cpu heat is *mostly* dissapated by the rad first. BTW-- Ill be showing my pics, thanks guys-- had to tear the loop down once, but learned from it and my 2nd loop Im happy with as I had the induct/exit on my pump switched around. but it posted on the first boot with #2 loop!!

When the loop has been running for some time, it will eventually reach equilibrium and have a difference in temperature between two different points of about 1-2 Kelvin. It won't actually matter how you install it as soon as you follow this rule. Reservoir outlet goes to pump inlet ALWAYS. You don't want your pump to be thirsty. Or it'll die.

Sorry for the late response but as tuxs mentioned over time the average temperature of the water in the loop will only be a few degrees different pre radiator and post radiator. I like to have the pump being fed by the reservoir so it has ample water source with little resistance and to have the more flow-restrictive items like the cpu block and radiator infront of the pump. I also want the radiator after the cpu block so it can cool the water off before returning it to the reservoir.

Back