• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with windows media player

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MechE

My WMP decided to start this new thing where the frames seem to skip. Then today I was watching a movie and fell asleep. I woke up to a screen of... I don't know what. It was like the screen was trying to render a single frame one pixel at a time. From top left to bottom right. What do I do? Graphics check ok.

Which OS are you running, and what's the version of WMP? And what does "Graphics check ok" mean? Is the CPU and / or GPU overclocked, and if so have you tried setting one or both to their default clocks? Basically, what have you done up to this point as far as troubleshooting?

Windows 7. WMP ver 12. Graphics ok means I can run graphic intensive programs without any issues. Except for WMP. I downloaded VLC media player and it works, it was a last resort. I did not want more programs on my machine. I uninstalled WMP according to a Windows 7 post and reinstalled, now it won't even try to run a DVD. It will freeze at the main menu and then after a few moments it will go to a screen that says "play movie" and something else. I was sleepy. As far as I can tell from what I have read online is that WMP is flawed and I also read that it is an issue for machines with more than 4GB of ram. But those are just opinions, nothing definite. I was hoping someone here had some luck in getting WMP to work with DVD's and with RAM greater than 4GB.

Back