• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Windows98 .dll problem plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ge|atinousFury

My roommate has an older Dell system (500mhz Celeron cpu, GeForce4 MX440 PCI video card, 512mb SDRAM) and today we installed Battlefield 1942 on it. His system meets the minimum system requirements as listed on the game box. The OS is Windows98 2nd ed.
The game installed perfectly, upgrading his system from DirectX 7.0 to 8.1, and we are prompted to restart the computer. Once Win98 2nd ed. has restarted, we double click the icon to play the game and get this message:

"The DINPUT8.DLL file is linked to missing export ADVAPI32.DLL:AddAccessAllowedAceEx"

Needless to say, the game won't start up. After you click the ok button, another box is revealed to you that was behind the one I just listed. It says this:

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe

A device attached to the system is not functioning
"

His computer runs other games such as QuakeIII, Half-Life (and counterstrike), and DiabloII without any problems. He says his computer has never displayed any message like this.

Please help!!!
Any and all suggestions welcomed and appreciated!!!

Try reinstalling Direct X 8 (download it maybe, to make sure it's the full thing) DINPUT8 sound like a direct x thingy, but don't take my word for it.

I just downloaded the directx 8.1 program from Microsoft's website and installed it, rebooted the computer, and got the exact same error message.

Also, I stumbled across a program....I think it was sfc.exe (system file checker [type sfc.exe under run]. Anyways, I ran the program and checked for file corruptions and it found nothing wrong. Just to be safe, I used sfc.exe's option to replace my current ADVAPI32.DLL file with a fresh one off the Win98 2nd ed.'s CD-ROM. Then I restarted the computer, and I still get the EXACT same error message!!

Any more suggestions\comments out there?

hmmm did you try to do a search on your comp to see if you have these files??

"The DINPUT8.DLL file is linked to missing export ADVAPI32.DLL:AddAccessAllowedAceEx

if not, u gonna have to reinstall win98 buddy... all else fail, a 45 mins reinstall of 98 might do you good, real good, it needs to be reinstall once in a while anyways since it got so messed up with ppl loading and unloading stuff.....hope your friends backs up. :D

Yes, and both the DINPUT8.DLL and the ADVAPI32.DLL files exist in the C:\windows\system folder

*EDIT: I forgot to mention that we just reformatted the hard drive about 2 months ago so everything is fresh.....hardly any programs are on the computer at all

Last edited:
Hey that worked.....even after I had already overwritten the file with the new file from the windows 98 cd. Anyways, thanks a ton for all the help!!

Have one on me:beer:

Back