• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey guys, I need some help building a silent watercooling system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blake312

Hey guys, I am trying to build a silent watercooling system but I can't for life of me figure out what radiators to get, all I want to do is run my Noctua NF-12s in my Fractal Define R5 @ 400 - 500 rpm at all times, why @ 400 - 500 rpm? Because the fans are silent at that speed but I can't figure out what radiators to get to accomplish that. My case is Fractal Define R5, I am trying to cool my MSI GTX 1080 EK X @ stock speeds and my i7 6700k @ stock speeds. Nothing fancy! What radiators will have to get to accomplish this? I have seen EK 360 PE in a Youtuber's build but they don't seem to be built for such low rpm fan speeds, I have also seen black Ice Nemesis 360GTS / black Ice Nemesis 280GTS which sounds perfect but is it to thin? Will it work for 400 - 500 RPM? I have also seen black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, will it even fit? Anyways just tell me what radiators to buy guys before I go crazy.

Low speed ad low statc pressure, you eed rads with the lower possible FPI.

Good read here:
https://www.ekwb.com/blog/radiators-part-1-thickness-fpi/

Edit: if you don't want t go through the whole article:
The cooling process is basic physics. The bigger the surface area, the better the cooling. That is why thicker radiators and denser fins can bring more cooling performance. But! There is always a „but“. Thicker radiators and/or radiators with greater FPI value need adequate air flow so that their performance is properly exploited. High static pressure fans, and fans that are properly designed to be used on radiators, always have an advantage, as we already discussed in the “Fans for Liquid Cooling” blog post.

I would go with the nemesis 360 gts. You are going to need to get 2 of them though. Running the fans at that speed will cut the cooling capacity down to like 150 watts for that 360 rad. So you will need 2 of them to properly cool your set up at those fan speeds.

You can find a good radiator round up here that shows power dissipation at different fan speeds for various radiators.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/radiator-round-2015/

If you're looking at Blackice Rads, have a look at their SR-2 line as that is designed at low FPI for low RPM fans.

If you're aiming to run your rad fans really low, I would see if I would have room for push and pull. Also, make sure you look into PWM fans if you're looking for speeds lower than 800 RPM.

If you're looking at Blackice Rads, have a look at their SR-2 line as that is designed at low FPI for low RPM fans.

If you're aiming to run your rad fans really low, I would see if I would have room for push and pull. Also, make sure you look into PWM fans if you're looking for speeds lower than 800 RPM.

I forgot about the SR2 line. That would probably be better than the gts line as far as silence goes. You are still going to need multiple large rads to get the cooling capacity you are looking for though.

I don't care what brand rad, just that it fits in my case and works at those fans speeds. Basically anything it takes to make it happen :0

I would look at the Alfacool line ..... the UT60 or it's thinner brother if your tight for room. They work good with the slower fan speeds your talking about.

Back