• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High temprature on x2 3600+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joki

Hey, i recently bought a X2 3600+ and it works fine. But im a little worried about the temprature. it idles around 37-43C. Is this bad? Full load is about 55C.

Under the condition that you are not overclocking, that is probably within the normal limits of the chips thermal limit specificatiosn. There are a number of factors that can contribute to high temperatures, such as the heatsink, the thermal interface, the chip itself, and the settings, such as voltage and clock speed settings. Also the cpu fan and case airflow will play a role in the idle and load temps.

Ah ok. I'm not overclocking with stock cooler, got one 120mm intake, one 80mm intake, one 120mm exhaust.

So what you'r saying is that this is normal ?

Joki said:
Ah ok. I'm not overclocking with stock cooler, got one 120mm intake, one 80mm intake, one 120mm exhaust.

So what you'r saying is that this is normal ?
maybe not normal but acceptable. the temps seem a bit high for a stock system but nothing harmful. also room temp plays a big role on your computers temps.

Are you using Artic Silver thermal paste or white Goo?

Is it on an Asus mobo? (they read higher temps)

Stock cooler, maybe try lapping it a bit to help. - can't hurt.

Yes he said stock cooler so that means the thermal pad is in use. The temps are a little high as I would expect around 45-49 on stock with good airflow from those 120s and a 90. I run these on modified stock Aluminum coolers oced and oved with temps only in the upper 40s. I reversed HSF to updraft, drilled 4mm holes 12mm in from each corner and have on 80mm blowing across the mobo at the cpu in a rack tower.

:welcome: Joki, check that the exhaust fan is pulling air from the case or try with the left door off to see if it is a airflow problem. Only pull the sink off if you have thermal paste to replace the pad. They are onetime use only though I've managed to reuse one once but it was less effective.

Molester said:
is this a 3600+ Windsor or Brisbane?

Either way, it should not be this high. 55C under load? That is not good. My X2 3600+ idled at 19-21C on stock, and it still does so at 2.8 GHz with 1.325V. Although, I'm running a Freezer64 Pro, but that isn't an extremely amazing cooler. It just has very good price:performance.

What is your Vcore setting? If it is at auto, then you might be giving it too much voltage? Again, I've given mine 1.4V and it still hasn't gone into the 50s under load, so I'm not sure what is going on. I suggest you get Core Temp, install that, and report those temperatures to us. I think your sensor might be screwing up.

AlabamaCajun said:
These 3600X2s are Brisbanes, there is a 3600X2 windsor with 256K L2 like a DC Sempron.

I understand that, but 55C is still not a good temperature for a Windsor core CPU. If I had to say something I didn't want to say, then I'd say it is at the border.

How are you monitoring the temperatures? Relying on sensor or are you using a probe? Is this bios or something like MBM telling you the temp? Have you reseated the heatsink?

Don't freak out over temperatures unless you're having problems with stability.

Hello, thanks for all the answers i have been monitoring the temp with bios and speedfan. Everything is fine and the computer is running stable exept when i was installing netscape the computer restarted. :S.

i dont think its an airflow problem either. I have one 120mm intake in the front, one 80mm intake on the side, 120mm exhaust in the back.

Hey again, i bought some arctic silver 5 instead of the old goo. no it idles around 37.

tux08902 said:
Either way, it should not be this high. 55C under load? That is not good. My X2 3600+ idled at 19-21C on stock, and it still does so at 2.8 GHz with 1.325V. Although, I'm running a Freezer64 Pro, but that isn't an extremely amazing cooler. It just has very good price:performance.

What is your Vcore setting? If it is at auto, then you might be giving it too much voltage? Again, I've given mine 1.4V and it still hasn't gone into the 50s under load, so I'm not sure what is going on. I suggest you get Core Temp, install that, and report those temperatures to us. I think your sensor might be screwing up.

Your 19-21 degree idle is very low, and Im guessing its indicative of a low case temperature as well, which is usually due to a very low ambient. What does Speedfan report as your Case temperature, ie, temperature 2 in the speedfan config? In speedfan, My cpu temps (temperature3) and my case temperature are usually within a degree of each other At Idle. My Fully loaded CPU temperature is usually 20 degrees above my Case temperature, which is decent. Once youve established the delta between case and cpu temps at idle, its fairly easy to influence your fully loaded temps, to a degree, by controlling your case temps, which you can do by such measures as lowering the room temps, removing the pc front or side panel, increasing air flow through the case from a cooled room, etc, etc.

>>Hey again, i bought some arctic silver 5 instead of the old goo. no it idles around 37.<<

Joki, i have a 3600+ brisbane too, with a low cost masscool HSF applied with Arctic Silver 5. AT highest load of both cores Orthos testing, I ran an 8 hour test the other day with case temps at 30 degrees and idle temps at 30 degrees. With my 2809 mhz overclock, I produced a peak temp avg over the test of 50-51 degrees.. IOW, I run a pretty consistant Idle temp plus 20 degrees.. Since my idle and my case temps are the same in most situations, that allows me to have a direct impact on the loaded cpu temps by lowering the case temps.. I can accomplish this most easily by cooling the room a couple of degrees.. Normally, my case temp is around 30. I think a 20 degree temp delta between case and loaded CPU temps is very reasonable.. In your case, Im most interested in what your case temp is when you are idling at 37 degrees. If your peak load temp is 55, Im pretty sure you can bring that down to the acceptable 50-55 degree range by simply lowering your room temp by a few degrees.. Try opening a window if its cooler out, or turn on the ac a little. The main point is, you are well within reach of very acceptable peak loaded temps..

Last edited:
I just bought a Thermaltake CL-P0047 with heatpipes. I was fine with a copper sink until I kicked in both cores for hours on end. No reboots but the temps were getting into the 50s. My other 3600 under a FX 4 pipe sink, has been in the 40s.

Give the Artic Silver a few days to settle, the temps will drop another 2-3 degs.

AlabamaCajun said:
I just bought a Thermaltake CL-P0047 with heatpipes. I was fine with a copper sink until I kicked in both cores for hours on end. No reboots but the temps were getting into the 50s. My other 3600 under a FX 4 pipe sink, has been in the 40s.

Give the Artic Silver a few days to settle, the temps will drop another 2-3 degs.

Low 50s is ok if youre seeing it under Orthos 'small ffts' cpu stressor. Under 50 is ideal.. 55 would be the limit though. When you were seeing 50s vs 40s, were your Case temps the same in both situations?

Case temps are in the upper 20s to low 30s as this is an open shelf. I am resolving some stagnating air problems but I have pusher fans forcing in cool air but the pusher may be recirculating some warm air. The non-pipe current sink is ok for non-oc chips but is a not pulling heat fast enough for higher chips.

AlabamaCajun said:
Case temps are in the upper 20s to low 30s as this is an open shelf. I am resolving some stagnating air problems but I have pusher fans forcing in cool air but the pusher may be recirculating some warm air. The non-pipe current sink is ok for non-oc chips but is a not pulling heat fast enough for higher chips.

Yea.. Ive got a non pipe, masscool heat sink that looks like a stock type unit with a copper base. But it doesnt do too badly. Im satisfied with mine in that with a 30 degree case temp, my peak loaded temps avg 50 degrees at the highest. Id rather 40s, of course, I but i think im low enough to not worry. If I had to push more voltage, that would be different. But im reaching 2.8 ghz on stock voltage, allowing my temps to stay peaked around 50. Also, I could open the window to suck in some cooler air. For each degree I lower the case temp, I can lower the peak cpu temp. 30 is the normal case temps without turning up the ac or opening windows.

Back