• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Higher voltage = Lower clock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roller6902

Registered
So, recently I bought the A10-5800k and also bought the Cooler Master TX3 with it to keep it's temp in check.
It keeps it in too good of check, I decided to overclock.

Now, I installed this cooler and CPU on an OEM motherboard, so the BIOS was locked from OC'ing. My only resort was to use the Vision Control Center and activate Overdrive.

When it raised the voltage from 1.3 to 1.4v, it ran the auto-test in those clocks. However, when I try to run the clocks (higher than 4.2, because 4.2 does not cause a higher voltage output. If I go beyond 4.2 without raising the voltage, my computer will lock, and I have to force reboot), the CPU clocks back to 3.4, instead of the target speed.

Can anybody explain the reason for this? Does this have to do with the motherboard?

if you need the motherboard info, it's right here:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03343058&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

COULD YOU GIVE US A SCREENSHOT OF HARDWARE MONITOR PLEASE.

2MeSN.png

[the temp that is 66 C (which is the very top) is the A10-5800k, but it's the whole package and not the cpu alone.]
I know it says 66 C, but hardware monitor seems to add up the cpu and gpu temps together.
cause, if I open Coretemp:

2MeVt.png

so, I just always assume the gpu and cpu temps are combined together

UNLESS it has been changed in AOD, the software cannot DO something that the bios does not allow to be done. So if you have a locked bios in an area, then AOD cannot work around it.

Board hard locks with an error >> Certainly when rebooted it will be back at the default speed and most especially so when trying to overclock with a piece of software.

Get a motherboard built for overclocking or settle for a lower speed as that is all you are likely to attain.
RGone...

That's what I was thinking really, but I was thinking of a workaround around it.
What really grinds my gears is that if the auto-tune portion of Overdrive can exceed the clock above 4.2, yet if i try to active it, it just shoots back down to 3.4

Thanks anyways. It was kinda rattling my brain.

AutoTune plays its own game for a time...then when it comes time to activate or use the setting, the bios does not allow for such and bingo back to lower clock.

If we stop and think about it; AMD is not going to allow their software to go end around on their OEMs. They would not sell cpus to the OEMs for long if they did. OEMs don't want users dorking around overclocking their OEM stuff unless purchased from the OEM as being adjustable. I really don't blame the OEMs on that point. Too many get in the bios and make trouble for themselves and then want warranty.
RGone...

AutoTune plays its own game for a time...then when it comes time to activate or use the setting, the bios does not allow for such and bingo back to lower clock.

If we stop and think about it; AMD is not going to allow their software to go end around on their OEMs. They would not sell cpus to the OEMs for long if they did. OEMs don't want users dorking around overclocking their OEM stuff unless purchased from the OEM as being adjustable. I really don't blame the OEMs on that point. Too many get in the bios and make trouble for themselves and then want warranty.
RGone...

True enough most likely.
That's why I kept check of every nook and cranny so my computer would not bite the dust.
The only variable i can really change is the iGPU clock speed. However, I went from 800 to 1000 Mhz, played during cs go, I got really really nice fps (better than what 800 gives) but eventually the game locked up.

I didn't really think about it, but I don't raise the iGPU that high again xD

Go buy a decent non-OEM motherboard that allows you to manipulate all the variables necessary to successful overclocking. You are otherwise wasting our time and yours.

Back