• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hissing sound coming from mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bjorn

Hi Guys

I purchased a motherboard off trademe for my mediacenter however it is making a weird hissing sound.
it seems to be coming from the chips that have little heatsinks on them around the CPU. (VRM's?) The heatsinks on them are getting very hot to touch which as far as I know is a bad thing.

I haven't wanted to keep the mobo on for any extended amount of time as it's getting very got around that area. The bios was reporting 72c and rising in the PWM area. I didn't let get any hotter as I didn't want anything cooking and that was just after 4mins sitting the BIOS doing nothing. I also burnt myself lol on the tiny heatsinks covering the area while testing for heat with my fingers.

I first thought it was a voltage issue and perhaps a faulty PSU so I put in a new one which didn't fix the issue. I've also tried different ram and a different CPU all with the same result.

I've only ran it for about 2 - 3mins because I don't want to damage anything. Here's a video of the issue - any help would be great.

The motherboard is a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert

I also stopped each fan on the mobo to show the sound wasn't coming from them.

are any of your voltages crazy high?

Here are the voltages in the bios:

r3syln4c.jt5.jpg

Remove the heatsinks and post semi-decent res pics of the area.

The heatsinks are not removeable I think they're soldered/glued on

zsv42jzc.ehc.jpg

Are any of the tops of the capacitors bulging? The mosfets on the motherboard (that regulate CPU power) could be culprit as well.

Otherwise look for smoke. As anyone knows, everything electric runs on magic smoke. If the magic smoke escapes the device it won't work anymore.

If you have any warranty on that board with the seller, I would be using it.

I have seen people pull the top of the mosfet off when trying to remove those sinks.

Back