• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holy crap!! Copper water block wonky

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DIY.com said:
If copper is tarnished, boil article in a pot of water with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 cup white vinegar for several hours. Wash with soap in hot water. Rinse and dry.
Actually works...

First off, UBERCOOL, I'm not so worried about the tarnished copper. I'm worried about the flatness of it because when it "was" tarnished it "had" goosebumps. To answer some people's questions. When I left it in the vinegar before, the vinegar turned baby blue. Is this the worst sign? I always use a toothbrush to brush the block while it's in vinegar but it doesn't help. I tried the suggestions you guys posted. Lemonjuice, Sprite (didn't have Coke in the cupboards). Nah, it didn't work. The lemon juice worked a bit but it was not great. What did work though was the vinegar + salt + boiling water. I left the blocks in the boiling solution. After about 30 minutes the goosebumps dissapeared and it wasn't tarnished. It's a weird colour now, not like when it was brand new, that's for sure. I rinsed with tap water (no soap) and then flushed it with distilled water.

I'm just wondering whether I should have rinsed it with soap.

Thanks guys.

The light blue signals that only a little bit of copper dissolved. So I would not worry too much. And nope- if you rinsed it well, you don't need any soap.

The vinegar contains Acetic acid which should etch away the copper oxide. Was the vineagar that you used very old or did you dilute it with water?

Here is what I would do. Get a stronger version of acetic acid. You can probably pick it up at a university chem lab shop. Or you can boil the vinegar to make it stronger (evaporates water). Soak parts in strong acetic acid until oxide is removed. Remove parts from acetic acid and immediately rinse with isopropyl alcohol blow air dry. Mix up a 30% Ammonia (household) 30%Hydrogen Peroxide(household), 30% distilled water solution to slightly etch the copper on your blocks to get them very clean (only takes about 3 seconds). Follow this with an Alcohol rinse and blow dry. Lastly lap the bottom side of the blocks to get them flat again.

-dave

No aluminium in my loop - no. MCW60, Apogee, BIP, MCP pump. On a side note, when I rinsed he blocks in lemon juice the colour of the juice turned green.

Sorry I don't smoke so I really don't know where to find ciggarette ashes. Will keep this in mind though.

Was the vinegar old? Errm 2 months old. I don't remember mixing the vinegar with water the first time round. It was pure vinegar. So you're saying that after the acetic acid soak, I should make that 30-30-30 solution? What's it for if the acetic acid can remove tarnish? Would going straight into that 30-30-30 solution and leave the acetic acid aside be better?

No aluminium in my loop - no. MCW60, Apogee, BIP, MCP pump. On a side note, when I rinsed he blocks in lemon juice the colour of the juice turned green.

Sorry I don't smoke so I really don't know where to find ciggarette ashes. Will keep this in mind though.

Was the vinegar old? Errm 2 months old. I don't remember mixing the vinegar with water the first time round. It was pure vinegar. So you're saying that after the acetic acid soak, I should make that 30-30-30 solution? What's it for if the acetic acid can remove tarnish? Would going straight into that 30-30-30 solution and leave the acetic acid aside be better?

The 30-30-30 solution is a weak copper etch and should make the copper bright and shiny like new. It will however slightly etch it so thats why I recommended to lap the blocks after. I just noticed that you already removed the oxidation with the vinegar and salt plus boiling water. If it looks OK to you now then I would just go with it. If it is still a little off looking you can try the 30-30-30 solution to make it that bright copper color again.

I just soaked it in vinegar for a night and in the morning I woke up, the vinegar turned blue, the copper parts were rough, when I wiped them it gave off a yellowish-brown colour and now its stuck with this greyish copper colour. And I was so stupid that after giving them a wash I forgot to dry them it started looking like the statue of liberty.

Any suggestions how to clean this up and remove the roughness? Why did this happen?

You soaked it for too long or the mixture was too strong. Probably both.

I think he knows that :rolleyes: And to answer the question:
Sand paper ( 400 grit - 800 grit )

And why did it happen? When copper gets wet it corrodes. This is why the statue of liberty is green, because it is outdoors and gets wet.

No, it gets corroded by salt water. Distilled won't cause this because there's nothing in it to cause a galvanic reaction.

I just opened my apogee and found grass... like from outside lol

Thats a new one.

bah, you guys don't watch enough infomercials.... CLR it!

That works on Calcium, Lime, and Rust (which is oxidation of iron and not copper), and not because it reverses a Red/Ox reaction (won't put the metal back), it just removes those types of stains. It will remove any lime or calcium deposits from hard water or the radiator if tap water had ever been used on any of the parts.

The light blue signals that only a little bit of copper dissolved. So I would not worry too much. And nope- if you rinsed it well, you don't need any soap.

Indeed, he performed a simple chem lab project to make Copper Acetate.

The vinegar contains Acetic acid which should etch away the copper oxide. Was the vineagar that you used very old or did you dilute it with water?

Here is what I would do. Get a stronger version of acetic acid....

The problem I have with this is that it sounds like we're running in circles around the same tree just to get hit in the face with a low lying branch... again.

Skip the acid, go to your hardware store and pick up Never Dull. It's acting agent is Kerosene which will not further corrode metal.

This is what I use because it's also used by people who restore museum pieces, and you'd think they'd know something about preserving things ;). At work we use it to remove oxidation from swords, knives, axes, etc and their fittings... i.e. the Copper or Brass habaki on Katanas and it works great. It's cheap (like $4), doesn't oxidize the metal further, takes a few moments to remove the oxidation (as opposed to hours soaking), and will free you from the same cycle of madness that got you in this spot ;)

Then lap the base and all will be well. I'd suggest "flossing" the block with the Never Dull (you can twist the cotton into a "thread").

Moto - yes, I think you are very right about soaking it too long. I remember once I soaked my northbridge block the first time I got it overnight. The problem appeared but not very drastic. Vinegar wasn't blue though. That never dull product sounds good. I'm just hoping I can find it here. If I can't, you said that the agent is of kerosene. Would kerosene do the job? I'm just worried with using vinegar for prolong periods. The word "corroding" doesn't sound good on the blocks.

I wouldn't want to use products like brasso and such, it leaves residue behind, = not good for copper to heat source contact.

Back