• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home built problems personified.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huneycutt

Hi gang. I was here before, 62 years old and built my first 'puter in Sept 02, ASUS A7N266E & Athalon XP 1700+. In January the CPU died and AMD replaced it. Middle of April the ASUS died and sent it RMA to ASUS. Yesterday I re'cd the replacement and they sent me a P4 board! WHOA! Called ASUS RMA dept and lady was nice, apoligized for their error, sending me the right board second day air. Hope it's the right one this time . . .

In the interim I ordered a Athalon XP 2100+ from newegg and got the B core, downgraded 2600. Ordered a Soltek SL75MRNL because it had such rave reviews. Installed it and worked like a charm for a week then died dead as a road kill Possum. Sent it back RMA to googlegear, maybe get the new one in two weeks or so. Never could get googleger to respond to my e mail rquests for an RMA so had to call them to get one, not a toll free call, I had to pay for it. Meantime my home built sits in the corner and I use my old spare 'puter.

I was a real computer dummy and got a lot of help at TomsHardware and PCMag forum when I built it and learned early on the PSU is often overlooked as being a very important part of a system. I ordered a high end Enermax 350W so I don't think the PSU is causing my problems with MB's & the CPU. I reckon about all I can say is, "Stuff Happens . . . . " (Forrest Gump.) System protected with a APC 500V battery back up. Didn't OC anything either.

I had a ball building it and had no big problems. Just wish I could get one up and running that would stay up because the phone calls and sending things back is a hassel and time consuming, to say nothing of the freight expense. I'm not uptight bcecause that only makes for bad Karma and face wrinkles. Maybe I'll go to Best Buy and get me a $399. Celeron eMachine. (YIPES! GASP! HORROR OF HORRORS!) Just kidding . . . . ;-}

When I was here before with questions ya'll were very kind and helpful and I appreciate that very much. I'll let you know how all this turns out, and ya'll please keep your fingers crossed for this Old Bird. Have a nice week end.

You sure came up to speed on pc's pretty quick.

:)

I just want to make sure that you always use a ground strap.

It also helps to do all your work on some kind of grounded conductive workbench.

I've been building pc's from dirt since the earily days of Computer Shopper and I've never had one go belly up on me. I credit that to the fact that I'm absolutley paranoid about static discharge.

True.. newer stuff isn't as static discharge sensitive as the old stuff was.. but.. well..

Well.. I don't know..

Am I being overly paranoid about static discharge..??

:-/

Can't be to careful.

Nah, I don't think you're parinoid and yes, I am aware of ESD hazards and take proper precautions. I tried to rationalize a reason for the multipile failures but have to chalk it up to just plain old defective or "weak" components. One day runs like a champ then next day just won't boot for heaven nor high waters. Or leave it on and come back two hours later and it is completely dead, no kids and the wife doesn't use the computers at home.

Apparently AMD concured the CPU was defective and ASUS the MB because they sent me replacements, no questions asked. Hope googlegear doesn't drag their feet with the replacement Soltek. Wish I had your luck with home built. As for store boughts, they have problems to. My 1620 vprMatrix was nine months old and the HDD died, ran scandisk thru DOS and found 64 bad sectors. Best Buy replaced it free then a week later it wouldn't boot. I bought the 3 year warranty so they fixed it on site, new PSU and MB and runs fine now. Be all that as it may, I guess I should be glad they crap out while the warranty is still in effect, but pulling stuff out and sending it back then putting it back in is a hassel. Good thing I'm not depending on the home built to run a business.

I feel confident I'll get the right parts and put it together and this time it'll work fine for many years. I had fun building it and enjoyed myself, but I must be honest and say this continuing hassel-saga has put somewhat of a damper on the joy of a home built. 'Preciate the input and have a great weekend. Old Bird

Re: Can't be to careful.

huneycutt said:
..................... new PSU ...............

Just thinkin' out loud here.. but I wonder if crappy power could have anything to do with it.. Like a lot of power spikes and dips.. mayby some high frequency noise riding in..

Do you have any power conditioning equipment.. any ISOBARS... or TRIPP LITE stuff??

:-/

Protection

Yup, have a APC 500VA battery back up that protects everything.

Buch, I have racked my old brain and my neighbor is a computer pro and we can't come up with a thing that would justify the home built failures. This Matrix has run for a year now and for nine months it ran trouble free. Then the HDD went bad and a week later the MB crapped out. I had the power company come put a monitor on my house for a week and no unusual fluxations in voltage. All my neighbors have computers, like six I know of, and none of them experienced the problems I have with the home built. I tried switching PSU's but the Soltek crapped out anyway.

All things considered, nothing to chalk it up to but I just simply got bad components. Real pain in the wazoo but not much I can do but roll with the punch and try again, WHEN I get a MB that works . . . Soltek or ASUS. Can you believe ASUS sent me a P4 board when I sent them a AMD board? Someone was not paying any attention because the invoice said it was a A7N266 and the ASUS model numbers for the P4's begin with P4 - - - -. The board had P4-866C or something like that on it, so somebody at ASUS was not paying attention. I checked the web and it's an el-cheapo, like $72. bucks. So I'll sit here and twiddle my thumbs and hope I get the right one Tuesday.

Meantime, I'm gonna' throw in a CD and watch a movie and have me a good cold one, or two . . . . ;-} Thanx for your feedback & catch ya' come later. OldBird

Back