• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home intertainment center

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
not much difference in dvd playback between the two cards... i just don't see the need to spend an extra 52 bucks.
This is why I would go with the Xcard...'Progressive or interlaced component YPbPr video output, scalable up to HDTV resolution (DVD playback limited to 480i, 576i and 480p)' and ' Plays DivX™ video (version 4.02 or later), MPEG-4, MPEG-2 and MPEG-1 files '. My set has those connections and I may wan't to play with DivX. The set supports 480i and 480p and its also is a 1080i HDTV. It's obvious that the card dosn't play 1080i dvd (I'm not sure yet if hi end dvd players scan at 1080i) but do those specs mean it playes DivX at 1080i? I don't get it.
specs....here.

no divx isn't 1080i

and if you think 480i or p is worth more than double the price go for it. you can always run divx with a software player. btw divx is compressed so the image quality is already greatly reduced. so don't expect for it to look very good.

basically the difference in the cards is onboard mpeg 4 decoding and a little bit better resolution (you probably won't be able to see any difference) s-video is about 380-390 lines of resolution while the 480i or p is not much more.

But what of the lack driver support as Dieni states...
Hey maxwedge, you should get the following card instead of the Real Magic Hollywood Plus, http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/xcard.htm , Its much better. Plus Sigma Designs have stopped driver support for the Hollywood Plus.
This could be a problem, as I'm running xp, if true. The last drivers offered are dated 10/01 and are beta. Xcards drivers are dated 7/02.

maxwedge said:
But what of the lack driver support as Dieni states... This could be a problem, as I'm running xp, if true. The last drivers offered are dated 10/01 and are beta. Xcards drivers are dated 7/02.
but there's no problem since the current drivers work just fine.

i'm also running xp and i've never had any problem installing or running the card with those drivers.

i don't think they are beta? are they? oh well doesn't matter if they are. they are solid as a rock.

I encountered some problems with a file called Ctfmon.exe and the latest set of drivers. Ctfmon.exe gets installed with Office XP, by now if they where going to support the hollywood plus anymore, they would have fixed the problem with new drivers.

Dieni said:
I encountered some problems with a file called Ctfmon.exe and the latest set of drivers. Ctfmon.exe gets installed with Office XP, by now if they where going to support the hollywood plus anymore, they would have fixed the problem with new drivers.
ctfmon.exe? i have office xp and this has never popped up as a problem and i use just about all the office programs several times a week.

btw. your signature is way over the rules. i suggest you alter it.
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58341

I have a question. What would be the minimum video card you would need to mack a DVD, Divx player useing either the hollywood + or the xcard? The xcard comes with a remote doesnt it?

Overload said:
I have a question. What would be the minimum video card you would need to mack a DVD, Divx player useing either the hollywood + or the xcard? The xcard comes with a remote doesnt it?
just enough to run your computer. you could have a trident 1mb video card and it would probably work.

the video processing is completely on the decoder card.

And Sigma STILL wont do decoding of Dolby Digital or DTS audio tracks for playback on 4/5.1 channel sounds cards.:mad:

I was actually thinking of getting the XCard because of the DivX decoding, but after reading those 2 reviews, I definetly wont be purchasing it and would rather stick with software decoding.

Mpegger said:
And Sigma STILL wont do decoding of Dolby Digital or DTS audio tracks for playback on 4/5.1 channel sounds cards.:mad:

I was actually thinking of getting the XCard because of the DivX decoding, but after reading those 2 reviews, I definetly wont be purchasing it and would rather stick with software decoding.
i'm not sure what you mean. both cards decode dolby digital. i don;t know about DTS cause i just haven't looked.

Right from TechTV's article:

The Xcard includes dongle adapters to provide analog video output with composite, component (YPbPr), and S-Video options. DVD audiophiles can enjoy Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound output through a coaxial connection, besides stereo output via a minijack and included adapter cable

So, it decodes it, but its up to your sound card to proivde the 4.1/5.1 sound.:)

You gotta read Sigma's descriptions more carefully.

• Provides advanced audio output features such as Dolby® Digital or DTS® surround sound (through S/PDIF) high fidelity sound reproduction.

Meaning: It will pass the compressed audio stream through its S/PDIF output for use on a external Dolby Digital/DTS decoder. Unless your sound card can decode the signal, it does it no good.

And under the specifications tab:

• Dolby Digital (downmixed to 2 channels)

It will downmix a Dolby Digital track (but not a DTS track) to a standard 2 channel stereo signal. No surround sound, just normal Dolby Pro-Logic stereo. And since theres no Dolby Pro-Logic decoder that I know of built into a sound card, then again, you'll just get a stereo signal.

Of course if you have an external decoder you can just hook up a S/PDIF cable and enjoy true surround sound, but the rest of us who stick with our computers will be s-o-l.

And a couple of drivers ago the Hollywood+ did have 4 and 6 channel output for sound cards with Dolby Digtal tracks. But because Sigma didn't purchase a license in order to be able to decode the tracks from Dolby Labs, they had to remove the feature. What irks me is that a big company like that wont purchase the rights to use the technology, yet a small upstart company like Cyberlink can have a license almost right from the start.:mad:

Mpegger said:
You gotta read Sigma's descriptions more carefully.

• Provides advanced audio output features such as Dolby® Digital or DTS® surround sound (through S/PDIF) high fidelity sound reproduction.

Meaning: It will pass the compressed audio stream through its S/PDIF output for use on a external Dolby Digital/DTS decoder. Unless your sound card can decode the signal, it does it no good.

From Creative's Audigy Page:
Dolby® Digital audio decoding to 5.1 speaker channels in both analog and digital modes

And From Turtle Beach's Site:
DSP-enhanced digital surround sound fields provide spectacular home-theater sound on 2, 4 or 6-speaker systems.

So it all depends. If you have a home theater receiver or don't want one, the Turtle Beach is fine.

Back