• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

homemade reservoirs pictures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I want it to be clear, so acrylic looks like the way to go. is there a thickness that is better? Is there any specific type or brand?

You do need cast acrylic. Extruded is junk in comparison and is a serious pain to work with since it melts so easily.

I recommend 1/4" thick. If you go any thicker, it becomes too difficult to cut and work with, but 3/16" isn't quite enough to ensure good surface area for joints.

Dont forget the thickness should be chosen based on how large the res is, how much stress will that joint take? Is it thick enough to drill and tap will I have enough thread to eventually add a water tight barb?

I generally work with 8-10mm acrylic. I find most of the common wood working tools cut 8-10mm without too much trouble.

I dont buy any brand I just buy scraps as long as it has the waxy paper on them and its cheap im happy.

Plan it out properly before you start cutting:

Can the fill port be put in a more convinent place so its easy to fill?
If I add a barb here will the tube to that barb kink futhur down the track?
Can I design it so it will bleed better, Maybe I could put a 'divider' in?
I have to eventually screw this thing into my case but how and where because I dont really want to drill holes for screws after making it water tight!

Dont forget the thickness should be chosen based on how large the res is, how much stress will that joint take? Is it thick enough to drill and tap will I have enough thread to eventually add a water tight barb?

I generally work with 8-10mm acrylic. I find most of the common wood working tools cut 8-10mm without too much trouble.

I dont buy any brand I just buy scraps as long as it has the waxy paper on them and its cheap im happy.

Plan it out properly before you start cutting:

Can the fill port be put in a more convinent place so its easy to fill?
If I add a barb here will the tube to that barb kink futhur down the track?
Can I design it so it will bleed better, Maybe I could put a 'divider' in?
I have to eventually screw this thing into my case but how and where because I dont really want to drill holes for screws after making it water tight!

Good points. You definitely don't want screws going into the water area of the tank itself. If you use 1/4", it is way overkill anyway as aquariums use 1/4" or less, and with a res you are only talking about a litre or less of water.

I also have always bought acrylic from whatever Ebay auction that was cheap, but I must admit that I have a harder time doing so the last time I did this as the prices had gone way up. 1/4" can't be had locally here, so online is my only choice.

Thanks everybody for all the info. 1/4" cast acrylic it is. Now I have to come up with a design. Im thinking smaller is better since my case is going to get crowded when I add the second loop.

thats the best thing... just design it so that 1 res can service both loops.... ie you have multiple inlests and outlets... saves space...

Reservoir made out of 2-1/2" PVC rod using a machine lathe and a manual knee mill.
0108.jpg
0109.jpg
The bottom ports connect to each other and not to the inside of the reservoir.

hey what do you guys use to make those round clear tube style resevoirs?

1/4" thick cast acrylic tubing from ebay. I bought mine from Nova plastics and had them laser cut the round ends as cutting acrylic into a circle is a bear at best. It cost me about $35 for enough acrylic parts to make 3 reservoirs. I purposely wanted extra in case I messed one up. I made one, changed what I wanted to make the second one which I am currently using, and still have pieces to make a third should I need or want to.

Did captain make two of them or does he mean that they both join up together?

Or is it for a dule loop systme 2 inlets and 2 outlets?

I remember Diggrr had a pretty neat yet simple concept for a vortex style one .
Vortex.jpg

Reservior.JPG

"For tools, I used my dremel with a carbide cutter (looks like a flat tipped drill) to make the holes, then the bottom one was tapped with a 1/2" NPT tap for the fitting. The inlet was a pain to dremel in there, then I marine gooped the copper tube into place.
The rest was just patience and a small hacksaw and drill.

The center divider was made to press fit into place at first, so I could test it, pop it out using a hooked wire from the top, resize the hole, and reinsert to test again. I glued it when I was happy.
Bevel the sharp edges so that it doesn't scratch the inside of tube when removing it.

The larger the hole, the less downward velocity, the shorter the vortex, the less chance of air getting sucked down. In the pic, there's an air bubble hovering over the hole, but when it get's big enough, it just goes back up into the vortex.

You can color clear plastic with those "anodizing" paints called metalcast by duplicolor (pepboys, auto zone). But beware that scratching is pretty easy, and the color would come off.
I think tap MIGHT have colored plastics...don't know.
Maybe testor's model paints would work better, they have clear colors, and their paints rock.

For good visibility through the tube though, I just used a single 6" blue neon tube behind it that really looked cool.

I'd gotten the idea from a museum exhibit i'd found online. They had one that was 8' tall and about 2.5' across. I invented the divider plate to keep the tube sitting flat in the case without a fitting on the bottom (also made for a taller vortex that still fit in the case). The cube's aren't all that tall, like mid tower cases." - diggrr

I believe he still posts and is an active member , probably one of the most interesting ideas I had seen and was very helpful when I was "trying" to make mine .

I like...

1 Does it have to be a certain height? (How long is the one in the pic?)

2 Do you have to have a very powerful pump to create the vortex? (I think digger had a really powerful pump.... What pump are you usin?)

3 To create the vortex is it air tight at the top or is there an opening?

4 Is it difficult to bleed? (how long does it take?)

I like...

1 Does it have to be a certain height? (How long is the one in the pic?)

2 Do you have to have a very powerful pump to create the vortex? (I think digger had a really powerful pump.... What pump are you usin?)

3 To create the vortex is it air tight at the top or is there an opening?

4 Is it difficult to bleed? (how long does it take?)

1. unknown would have to ask him was a while since I made mine , Its also about the dia of the tube . mine was 2 3/4 ID by 11L .

2. Mine wasnt very powerful 158 gal hour ( eheim 1048 ) , I did how ever mess around with where to put the center hole disk so I was not sucking in water yet getting the largest vortex possible for the pump I had at the time. ( dig is a lot wiser on these sort of things I had a decent amount of trial and error , although build time was short since ive been building custom protien skimmers for some time now )

3. My fill plug was on top of the chamber so it wasnt air tight

4. not at all , although it depends on your setup .

hmm thats cool..

i made my res out of abs 2' piping from home depot ill post pics, it mounts directly on top of the mag 3.. the mag3 is huge anyways so i will have it externally mounted to the back of the case..

I jus need to get off my lazy @SS and finish my case, had it down about a week, I have my computer on the floor of my room hahahah...

The idea is kinda growing on me.

1 Can you make more than one vortex hole? Ie can you have more than one vortex in that res?

2 Who is a physics dude I think if he seals up the res air tight the vortex will be lost am I correct...??

1 Can you make more than one vortex hole? Ie can you have more than one vortex in that res?

2 Who is a physics dude I think if he seals up the res air tight the vortex will be lost am I correct...??

1;2 : This can be somewhat hard to explain , Because in a sense its not a true vortex / whirlpool . Its more of the effect of the venturi inlet spinning the water so the vortex is helped along similar to spinning a spin in a glass jar .

To put it simple if the diameter of the tube was large enough with 2 separate drains it would be possible without the need for the venturi being placed . Unfortunately you would not get enough down draft force for the vortex to be visible ( ie. there is still a vortex in a bath tub when it drains but you do not see it till its towards the end of draining due to the size of the outlet . if you had a constant amount of water and a gigantic outflow of water a vortex would eventually form to your eyes ( the spinning motion we see ) its a mixture of a free and forced vortex .

I would assume if you have a large dia tube that is short , with seperate drain chambers and something to help it along like a "cone" it would be possible in small settings . im pretty sure you would be sucking in air from time to time though as you would need a fairly decent sized pump ( on my reef sump and an Iwaki MD55RLT ( 1100gph @ 4' head ) I do not see a vortex untill its about 6 inches from the intake side ) . Would be much easier if you had 2 pumps ( and inlets ) and 2 seperate drains .

The "vortex" chamber is basically your fill point in the system as long as the loop is not air tight during the fill process i would assume this would still work ( the chamber does not have to be constantly "open" if thats what you are asking , you can seal it after filling your loop )

I suck at fluid dynamics. I am pretty good at spinning real fast in counter strike though when i put my sensitivity to 99 before the server boots me.

Unless you find some one good with fluid dynamics ( not fluid principles ) I would not suggest trying for 2 vortex's as there is a chance the vortex's could cross ( much like crossing the streams in ghost busters ) and basically it would be like dividing by zero. Causing your head to implode . Similar to whats going to happen when they turn on the Large Hadron Collider in switzerland some time in may. But thats whole 'nother can of crap I do not want to open ATM.

1...Yes
2...No

here's mine -
newest%20loop%20003.jpg

I put a drain ****/petcock on mine so I can either put a tube on the end to train into a bucket while keeping my pc on the desk. I also wanted to keep it outside so I don't have to fill it inside the case and also to visually see that the pump is working.

Back