• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How am I doing? AMD FX 8320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FievelJ

I placed a fan on part of the heat sinks surrounding the CPU.

CPU jumped to 66c for such a brief moment, that I hadn't hardly noticed. Should I worry?

Attachments

• CPU 3.PNG
    CPU 3.PNG
    46.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Sabertooth does that often, but even then you're right on the edge of the safety zone ?

Sabertooth does that often, but even then you're right on the edge of the safety zone ?
Okay. Well I would rather be on the edge, then over it. It means at the voltage I am at, I have a little space to experiment a little.
And as long as I stay at these numbers, I'll take it for now.
Suppose to be getting 1800 and some, so I am thinking about something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=AM3+_liquid_cooler-_-35-181-102-_-Product
Thinking about redoing the cooler I have for just the GPU of
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487079
And then maybe I have more to play with.

If it is overkill, *GREAT!*

Never stopped running Prime95. And the first temp listed never went over 63. The second hasn't hit 66 again.

The board and the temps jumping have nothing to do with each other. Its a function of the stress test. ;)

That said, you are at the limit. People say to keep under, what K, 55C(?) as stability tends to get wonky above that.

Tell us more about your "custom" water cooler. I note that the pump is exceeding 5k rpm. That's very high! Is it noisy? What kind of fans are you using on the rad? How thick is the rad?

The board and the temps jumping have nothing to do with each other. Its a function of the stress test. ;)

Not in my experience, only the saber did that, not the crosshair, not this one, not the crappy Gigabytes/MSI i had before. At the end of every test phase spiked HARD on temps ?

It is possible the different drivers made it do that, but not the board. Boards are, for all intents and purposes, dumb. Without drivers and a program, they don't do anything.

Well, after thinking a bit more, perhaps it was a BIOS setting, maybe the current allowed on the CHV was more than was set on the others hence a spike? But that is a BIOS setting... so if that thought is true, you could reach and call it 'the board' even though it can easily be mitigated by the software causing the spike...

but really, it could be anything, I have never, ever seen a board behave like that and I have reviewed and used dozens. Doesn't mean I am not wrong or it isn't possible, but in MY experience across exponentially more boards, I have not seen that behavior (and remember we use the same applications and stress tests in reviews. ;)

It is possible the different drivers made it do that, but not the board. Boards are, for all intents and purposes, dumb. Without drivers and a program, they don't do anything. ;)

Fair enough, always thought it had something to do with the "loose" LLC on the Saber :rofl:

Since temp is pulled and reported rather slowly by software....

Is 63c to 66c really a "temp spike"??

Tell us more about your "custom" water cooler. I note that the pump is exceeding 5k rpm. That's very high! Is it noisy? What kind of fans are you using on the rad? How thick is the rad?

Doesn't matter too much, as it is a cheaply placed together system.
Might not even overclock the GPU. If I do what I might do.

Could also get two of them other systems.
I know I can squeeze them into my case.

What kind of WC setup do you have? Looks like it really isn't doing much for you. 61° at 1.4v is too high IMO for any water system. It isn't one of those cheap ebay jobbies is it?

What kind of WC setup do you have? Looks like it really isn't doing much for you. 61° at 1.4v is too high IMO for any water system. It isn't one of those cheap ebay jobbies is it?

I is a crappy ebay build. But it isn't doing too bad currently.
I also took your advice, and turned down the vcore some.
It is not a success though, as the cores are dropping out.
I am probably getting a new water cooler, after I get this check of 1800 I am suppose to be getting.

4615. I believe this is the max I am going to hit with the equipment I have.
Still I am happy with it.

Last edited:
Ya know, if we ask, twice, what your water cooling system is, you should give some details. It wouldn't have been asked twice if we only wanted to hear "it doesn't matter" and "crappy ebay build". Help us, help YOU. :)

If you want WC XSPC and others make some decent "starter" kits. Just get something with a decent pump (D5) and at least a 2x120 (240mm) rad for that CPU 3x120 would actually be ideal.

If you want WC XSPC and others make some decent "starter" kits. Just get something with a decent pump (D5) and at least a 2x120 (240mm) rad for that CPU 3x120 would actually be ideal.

Noted, and thank you.
I'll look into it as soon as I have the $$

That's OK but you notice the ones listed that have the D5 pump are about $100 more. There's a reason the D5 is a much better pump IMO and will last you much longer. Either way the one you listed will run circles around the one you have now.

Back