• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How best to add gpu cooling to my loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rcoe

Well I have decided to add a gpu block to my 260. Just need to decide what is going to be the best upgrade to my current loop to deal with the added heat.

Right now I just have a single cpu loop with a gtz block, swiftech mcr220 rad and swiftech mcp655 pump. This loop works very well with my i7, but I know that adding a hot gpu will put added demand.

I am currently looking at 2 options.

1. Get a fesser 320 radiator and swap out the swiftech.

2. Add the antec top mount rad to my antec1200 case. this radiator mounts in the top of the case under the large fan. I would add this to my loop between the cpu and gpu.

The antec top rad is alum inside. Nono, bad move on Antec.

Getting a 320 rad is probably just fine. Under load your CPU temp will be higher than the 220 rad gave you due to the heat from the 260 even with a 320 sized rad. But it should be manageable. Fitting the Feser 320 in the case in front might be tough, so putting it out the back is probably your best option.

Since your looking at putting it out the back anyway? Why not this rad, very well rated and as good or better than the Feser brand.
http://www.jab-tech.com/XSPC-RX-480-Quad-120mm-Radiator-pr-4430.html

Your CPU temps will be at or maybe a bit better than they were before, even with the GPU in the loop. And you can run quieter fans to boot.

go with conumdrum's advise or get a second 220, the pump will handle it just fine, so long as the gpu block is low resistance. honestly though i think it would still handle it fine.

Thanks for the ideas.

I decided to add a xspc rx280 to help deal with the added heat. I am going to put on the back of my case where my swiftech is now with fans in a push/pull config and the move the swiftech to the inside top of my antec 1200 under the big fan with a couple more fans pulling.

While I have it apart I am also going to swap out all my smaller tubing that came with my original swiftech kit for fesser 1/2" stuff.

I would imagine this would be able to handle the added heat of my gtx260.

Now how should I run this loop, right now it is pump>rad>cpu>res. I was thinking of going pump>xspcrad>cpu>swiftrad>gpu>res. Is this going to be the best way?

Thanks,

Thanks for the ideas.

I decided to add a xspc rx280 to help deal with the added heat. I am going to put on the back of my case where my swiftech is now with fans in a push/pull config and the move the swiftech to the inside top of my antec 1200 under the big fan with a couple more fans pulling.

While I have it apart I am also going to swap out all my smaller tubing that came with my original swiftech kit for fesser 1/2" stuff.

I would imagine this would be able to handle the added heat of my gtx260.

Now how should I run this loop, right now it is pump>rad>cpu>res. I was thinking of going pump>xspcrad>cpu>swiftrad>gpu>res. Is this going to be the best way?

Thanks,

it doesn't really matter which way the loop order is, just make the loop as short as possible. if it works out that what you said (pump>xspcrad>cpu>swiftrad>gpu>res) works out to be the shortest length of tubing used, then do that.

I would just like to add that shorter tubing runs are not necessarily the holy grail. Bends are actually more restrictive and will have a more negative effect than a little extra tubing does. So it is a balancing act - you want to use as little tubing as necessary, but also keep in mind that the fewer and more gradual the bends are, the better.

I would just like to add that shorter tubing runs are not necessarily the holy grail. Bends are actually more restrictive and will have a more negative effect than a little extra tubing does. So it is a balancing act - you want to use as little tubing as necessary, but also keep in mind that the fewer and more gradual the bends are, the better.

correct, i thought that was implied/common sense. if it means saving an extra inch or 2 fora tight bend, use the extra tubing.

Well got it all finished and fired up today. GPU core temps dropped over 15 while running a folding gpu client and my cpu even dropped around 5 while running a pair of smp folding clients. The xspc radiator really gets the job done.

Will post some picts tomorrow when I get it cleaned up.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Back