• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how can i get another 100mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

subzero

ok before i sell my current 2000+ (itll be gone within a week) i want to get 2500mhz out of it, currently it does 2420mhz no probs i did prime95 for 3 hours last week and did sandra burn in yesterday for 3 hours (id do it longer if i could go without my computer for that long) 2460mhz runs fine for about 2 hours then i get random crashing 2480 boots into windows and runs for about 30mins max but 2500mhz wont get me into windows now i dont are if it is stable or not i just want a screenshot of 2500mhz so my question is what can get me that little bit extra? ive tried giving it 2.2V but the system crash's cuse of to much vlotage.. i read in a post a few months ago that to get an extra 100-200mhz out of a chip u need to lower to lowest multi and FSB possible and give lots a Vcore and burn it in for 24hours. is this right? or can i just burn it in for 24 hours at my max stable o/c and then get a little more. thanks for all replys

read in a post a few months ago that to get an extra 100-200mhz out of a chip u need to lower to lowest multi and FSB possible and give lots a Vcore and burn it in for 24hours. is this right? or can i just burn it in for 24 hours at my max stable o/c and then get a little more. thanks for all replys

The reason you want to lower to the lowest multi and FSB while burning in is because high temperature is not the goal of burning in. If you burn in at your max stable OC then your temps will be too high.

If you would like more thorough explanation or understanding, then follow this link:

http://people.freenet.de/s.urfer/conditioning.htm

I found that page from here:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=190168

Bigdogbmx said:
Put it in the freezer and boot it up quicksharp then take it out before it gets condensation on?

There is no need to post if you have no idea what you are talking about. You will only confuse someone asking a real question looking for real answers. ;)

lmao i have actually thought about that but heat is not an issue at max overclock i have never gone over 45c heres an example.. my 2000+ 133x12.5 with all fans on fully is 31c full load and at 166x12.5 1.6vcore its 33c full load and thats with an ambient temp of 20-24c and case temp of 24c

Heat probably is still actually an issue at max overclock. The colder your chip is the better it will run. Even with identical settings, if you are unstable at 33C, you might be stable at 15C for example.

ok well theres nothing i can do about heat since i cant afford any other cooling.. so lets just put everything aside except the CPU itself if i was to run it at 11x5 at 1.8v for 24hours of prime 95 do u think i could get an extra 50-100 mhz more from it?

heh.. oops i meen 100x5.. anyways for the last hour i have been running 100x5 @ 1.9v and doing prime95 now if generating some heat is what does the burn in then this wont work cause all my fans at 1500rpm the system is at 27.5c and with em on full its 21c its currently 16c ambient but when the sun comes up it will go up a bit so will it still do burn in at under 30c or do i need the temps to be in the 40ish area?

No, don't associate "BURN" with heat in this case. You run the cpu with a high core voltage with lowest possible temperature, ie best cooling you can do.

I don't think you took the time to look through the information I linked you to. I sentence you to 50 lashings with a slimy trout. It would have been worth your time... I mean who wouldn't want to know this:

(This explains what's happening when you burn in, why it is good, why it is bad, and why you want a lower temperature.)

One effect that occurs during the actual using of the transistors is the hot-electron-degradation of the gateoxide.
This degradation starts as soon as the transistor is used and will eventually lead to the failure of it.
you can actually make use of this degradation for your overclocking.
The fun part of this kind of degradation is, that regarding to speed, it makes 50% of the transistors in your CPU a bit worse, but the other 50% would get much better.
the PMOS usually being the speedlimiting factor, the CPU at whole, which consists of NMOS and PMOS transistors, would be able to run faster.
Anyway, you can speed up this degradation process with the Burn-In.
The hot-electron effect is sensitive to voltage and temperature. The higher the voltage, the higher the effect, the higher the temperature, the lower the effect. Thus, you would run your CPU at minimum clockrate, maximum voltage and minimum temperature (remember, voltage and temperature are dependent of each other). The time needed to incorporate a sufficient number of electrons varies widely. It depends on the specific CPU and what you expect out of it.
Due to manufacturing variances, some CPUs may be more susceptible to Burn-In than others from a different production run. It may even be different with chips from the same wafer.

To make this learning experience less painful, I tried to highlight the most directly applicable portions of information while removing everything in between. If you still find that your head hurts, take two advil and call someone else in the morning. ;) :beer: If you don't have a headache, follow that link and you can read the full information.

You are also asking about what results you can expect from the burn in, and the end of this excerpt explains that it is unpredictable from chip to chip. (Man was that link I gave you useful, I would have to run everywhere to find this information if it wasn't all right there.)

Luckily however, many people around here burn in their chips and there have been numerous accounts of people beings stuck at XXX overclock, and then after burning in they have achieved better overclocks. If you would burn in and then reportedly achieve 100mhz more, by no means would you be the first to ever report such a result.

Often times, people do not report being able to achieve higher overclocks though. However, they do often report being able to achieve identical overclocks with less Vcore, and hence, better temperatures.

You will also want to use more than just Prime95 to stress your chip, as noted here:

(This information is also found through the previous link I presented)

What to do during the Burn-In [back to index]
Since not every instruction or data will use the whole CPU, you will need to stress your CPU with a wide variety of tasks during the Burn-In. If you just let it sit there and idle, only the parts needed for the halt instruction would be stressed...
You can use several programs to stress your CPU. Usually, a high CPU usage is desired. Programs that can do that (and/or stress other components in your PC) would be 3dMark2000, BurnInTest, CPU Stability Test, ctRAMtest, Docmem, Dr. Hardware, Heavy Load, Linux Make, MemTest86, Prime95, Quake Demo Loop, RC5des, Seti@Home, WinZip, etc. pp.

Best, use all of them.

CAUTION! Most of above programs can crash your computer, if it is not perfectly stable. I would strongly reccomend, to make a backup of all your files before running them. A crashing computer might corrupt your filesystem and render all your data useless!

Last edited:
If you are getting ready to sell it I probobly wouldn't try because if you mess it up... you can't sell it. Well, you could, but that wouldn't be very nice :).

hehe yeah i know if i kill it i cant sell it but i think its worth the risk just to get 2500mhz out of it.

IMOG>sorry for not taking in all that info. i did go to the link but when i seen the amount of stuff there my head suddenly started to hurt so i just did i scan over the page and took in some of the stuff. thanks heeps for pointing out the improtant parts i think i got the idea now :) but 1 question still remains how long would i need to burn in for?? im guessing its gonna need atleast 24hours for some sort of result and possible a few days maybe? thanks again IMOG you help me heaps here :) now off to burn out i meen in my CPU.. ill report back with any results i get :)

I'll let you guess where this came from... Here's a hint though, it was two paragraphs below where I got my first quote from and one paragraph below where I got my second quote from in my last post. ;)

How long to Burn-In and what's next [back to index]
After a couple of hours or weeks, depending on what your CPU is capable of, you could try the machine at the desired overclocked speed, with lower voltage. When you're lucky, it'll run smooth. You could test the stability with the same programs you used burning it in.
If it still hiccups, you may either need further Burn-In, or you need to re-evaluate other aspects of your machine (cooling, voltage, clockspeed etc.).

Simply put, if a couple of weeks of Burn-In didn't help, a couple of months probable won't either.

If problems persist, you can either go hard-core and try some funny stuff like submerging your computer in mineral oil or get a can of liquid nitrogen to pour over your CPU, or you may have to face the hard truth of overclocking:

Nothing is guaranteed in overclocking.

For a comprehensive list of overclocking successes and corresponding voltages, cooling and production dates, visit www.overclockers.com.

Back