• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I get back to IE7 ...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

QuietIce

Disabled
I recently had problems with our front page address links while using IE7. Don't know why there was a problem but there was. After several attempts to work around it someone asked why I hadn't upgraded to IE8. Well, I'm kind of a conservative when it comes to upgrading software - I've had waaayyy too many instances over the years where an upgrade not only killed the SOP but sometimes killed a whole program (in the case of an OS "upgrade"). But in this case I went ahead and installed IE8. Well, the address problem was fixed but now the main thing I liked about IE7 no longer works. It used to be that when a Favorite wasn't used for awhile it would disappear from the drop-down, which isn't happening in IE8.

In addition to the Favorites not being nice the download folder for pics jumps all over the place. I'll open a series of pics in new tabs from thumbnails on the same page. As I flip through the tabs to save the pics the download folder won't stay put. First it's My Pictures, then it's the last folder I used, then it's back to My Pictures again - back and forth and it's very, very random which will come up. I am SOOOOO sick of IE8!

- I've checked the box under options in IE8, it's set right.
- It's been long enough (more than two weeks) that this should have kicked in.
- I do NOT want to use Firefox because it's Favorite menu is even more screwed up (as are it's dl routines, IMO).

:cry: :cry: :cry:I want my old IE7 back ...!!!:cry: :cry: :cry:

I've gotten to the point I'd just like to uninstall IE8 and re-install IE7 (if someone here can't come up with a way to get IE8 working correctly).
- Is the cookie format the same so I can copy/paste after the switch?
- Is the Favorites folder the same format for back-tracking?
- Anyone have any explanation or work-around to make IE8 work the way IE7 did?

I recently had problems with our front page address links while using IE7. Don't know why there was a problem but there was. After several attempts to work around it someone asked why I hadn't upgraded to IE8. Well, I'm kind of a conservative when it comes to upgrading software - I've had waaayyy too many instances over the years where an upgrade not only killed the SOP but sometimes killed a whole program (in the case of an OS "upgrade"). But in this case I went ahead and installed IE8. Well, the address problem was fixed but now the main thing I liked about IE7 no longer works. It used to be that when a Favorite wasn't used for awhile it would disappear from the drop-down, which isn't happening in IE8.

In addition to the Favorites not being nice the download folder for pics jumps all over the place. I'll open a series of pics in new tabs from thumbnails on the same page. As I flip through the tabs to save the pics the download folder won't stay put. First it's My Pictures, then it's the last folder I used, then it's back to My Pictures again - back and forth and it's very, very random which will come up. I am SOOOOO sick of IE8!

- I've checked the box under options in IE8, it's set right.
- It's been long enough (more than two weeks) that this should have kicked in.
- I do NOT want to use Firefox because it's Favorite menu is even more screwed up (as are it's dl routines, IMO).

:cry: :cry: :cry:I want my old IE7 back ...!!!:cry: :cry: :cry:

I've gotten to the point I'd just like to uninstall IE8 and re-install IE7 (if someone here can't come up with a way to get IE8 working correctly).
- Is the cookie format the same so I can copy/paste after the switch?
- Is the Favorites folder the same format for back-tracking?
- Anyone have any explanation or work-around to make IE8 work the way IE7 did?

QI,

When I "upgraded" via Windows Update to IE8 some time ago, I received a warning it was not reversible. I didn't explore it further and took their word for it.

When you remove Internet Explorer 8, your earlier version of Internet Explorer is restored with your customizations (such as add-ins, Favorites, and your home page). However, Internet Explorer 8 is a part of Windows 7. Therefore, if you remove Internet Explorer 8, you will have to install a third-party browser to be able to browse the Internet.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Google results in case that didnt help: http://www.google.com/search?source...BR_enUS316US316&q=Remove+ie8+and+put+back+ie7

I was hoping some MS genius would know what to change (maybe in the register?) to get IE8 working right - or tell me the thing is just buggy - but thanks for the links.

Maybe all the good stuff will survive the change. That's my biggest worry. I backed up Favorites and hopefully the cookies haven't changed. I really hate looking up passwords and re-entering them. :(

I'll give this thread a couple of more days - maybe someone will know one way or the other or have some other advise. It would be kind of poetic to back-step on an MS product on New Year's Day ... :)

I was hoping some MS genius would know what to change (maybe in the register?) to get IE8 working right - or tell me the thing is just buggy - but thanks for the links.

Maybe all the good stuff will survive the change. That's my biggest worry. I backed up Favorites and hopefully the cookies haven't changed. I really hate looking up passwords and re-entering them. :(

I'll give this thread a couple of more days - maybe someone will know one way or the other or have some other advise. It would be kind of poetic to back-step on an MS product on New Year's Day ... :)

QI,

Photos showing here also vary, sometimes they are thumbnails, sometimes they are full size. This is the only place that happens so I'm not sure it's IE8. This happens whether I have posted my own from Photobucket or whether I'm reading others photos. I also waited for some time reading about the IE8 upgrade before I pulled the trigger and there have been no problems anywhere otherwise.

No issues with favorites, cookies or passwords whatsoever with IE8.

IE8 is buggy. And that link shows how to back out of it as your thread title suggests. Favs and such should still move right over.

QI,

Photos showing here also vary, sometimes they are thumbnails, sometimes they are full size. This is the only place that happens so I'm not sure it's IE8. This happens whether I have posted my own from Photobucket or whether I'm reading others photos. I also waited for some time reading about the IE8 upgrade before I pulled the trigger and there have been no problems anywhere otherwise.
I didn't explain that very well, did I?

It's not the size that's the issue, it's the save folder(s) IE8 is using. It should default to the last save folder but it doesn't always do that and which folder comes up is not predictable. As such the '68 Dart GTS pictures I'm saving sometimes end up in the My Pictures folder or the 70RR_B3 (B3 blue Road Runner) folder I was saving to 4-5 saves ago instead of ending up in the 68GTS_Red folder where they belong. :( Saving them to the wrong place isn't exactly IE's fault but I'm too used to it doing what it's supposed to do that I've lost the habit of checking the folder before I save the image. (I always double-check for apps and zips but I don't dl them 20-30 at a time.)

Favs and such should still move right over.
That's the important part ... :)

I believe there is an option within IE to 'ask before saving' as well as pointing to a specfic folder (sorry if I am being particularly dense on the question if I missed it). I know there is within Chrome.

I didn't explain that very well, did I?

It's not the size that's the issue, it's the save folder(s) IE8 is using. It should default to the last save folder but it doesn't always do that and which folder comes up is not predictable. As such the '68 Dart GTS pictures I'm saving sometimes end up in the My Pictures folder or the 70RR_B3 (B3 blue Road Runner) folder I was saving to 4-5 saves ago instead of ending up in the 68GTS_Red folder where they belong. :( Saving them to the wrong place isn't exactly IE's fault but I'm too used to it doing what it's supposed to do that I've lost the habit of checking the folder before I save the image. (I always double-check for apps and zips but I don't dl them 20-30 at a time.)

That's the important part ... :)

QI,

Now I understand. Yes, IE8 always wants to save to ITS default folder and doesn't always remembers where you saved a file last.

I believe there is an option within IE to 'ask before saving' as well as pointing to a specfic folder (sorry if I am being particularly dense on the question if I missed it). I know there is within Chrome.
You got it and RT's right. It does ask before saving but, regardless of the default folder setting it should stick - that is, use the same one all the time - while IE8 is just random. You roll the dice every time you save. If you roll 2-5 you get the My Pictures folder and have to navigate to the one you want; roll a 6-11 and it pops the last save folder (like it should); roll 12 and you get the save folder you used before the current one ... :-/

Im good at drinking games with dice, does that count? :shrug: :beer:

Are you in W7? Is it trying to put things in the "Library" by file type by chance?

We don't use dice, we use quarters! LOL! :beer:

XP Pro SP3 (installed before IE8, thank goodness!)
But in any event all the file types are the same (*.jpg) and all the links are from the same web page. Images linked are on the same site as the links page. :shrug:

The only difference in opening the links is the time it's opened (but within a few seconds of each other) -- and how I'm holding my coffee cup. Maybe that's it! I'll have to keep track of where my coffee is next time I dl some pics ... :p

N00b. Coffee cup is the answer!!!! Why did it take 13 posts for you to mention that?

Wow QI, that is an odd one. I think you lost me on this one. Just uninstall that bad boy. Copy the favorites folder first then dump it in the new one and all should be well just in case it doesnt come over initially.

Ya, I broke one of my own rules by installing an app that was really designed to be used with a newer OS than the one I have. I've seen the same odd behavior I-don't-know-how-many-times before when the OS at work was "upgraded" and an existing app no longer worked quite right. This is the same thing in reverse and I never should have done it. :-/ MS's eye is on Vista and Win7 - they could care less about perfect compatibility with XP at this point ...

Ya, I broke one of my own rules by installing an app that was really designed to be used with a newer OS than the one I have. I've seen the same odd behavior I-don't-know-how-many-times before when the OS at work was "upgraded" and an existing app no longer worked quite right. This is the same thing in reverse and I never should have done it. :-/ MS's eye is on Vista and Win7 - they could care less about perfect compatibility with XP at this point ...

QI,

You brought up some valid points that I had not thought of:

1. I'm using IE8 with Vista 64 with very little problems other than those I mentioned above.

2. I have another rig I use regularly with XP Pro SP3 and IE7. I have NOT upgraded to IE8 for some of the issues we have mentioned. I have only upgraded with MS updates for IE7/XP. IE7 incurs none of the problems mentioned above. I just had that "feeling" not to upgrade to IE8 with XP but had not considered that IE8 may really be coded better for Vista/Windows 7.

Back