• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i get rid of this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks! As far as the virus software goes AVG has found a virus but can't seem to fix it. Any ideas?

ToiletDuck said:
Thanks! As far as the virus software goes AVG has found a virus but can't seem to fix it. Any ideas?
Did you do what I suggested?

1. Restart in safe mode
2. Turn off system restore
2A. Kill anything in taskmanager that looks iffy.
3. Install and update Ad-Aware, Spybot, CWShredder and your virus defs. Install spywareblaser and update it
4. Run all of these until each and every one comes up clean.
5. Reboot, turn system restor back on.
6. Go to www.mozilla.org and download Firefox and use IE as LITTLE as possible.
7. Be happy!

I haven't done everything that you mentioned yet no. I already had 3 different spyware programs and I'll do that ASAP however i'm just trying to get this virus taken care of.
Duck

nikhsub1 said:
Did you do what I suggested?

1. Restart in safe mode
2. Turn off system restore
2A. Kill anything in taskmanager that looks iffy.
3. Install and update Ad-Aware, Spybot, CWShredder and your virus defs. Install spywareblaser and update it
4. Run all of these until each and every one comes up clean.
5. Reboot, turn system restor back on.
6. Go to www.mozilla.org and download Firefox and use IE as LITTLE as possible.
7. Be happy!

(not directed @ you Nikh... ;) )

Re: 2A above... It's a really good idea to familiarize yourself with what IS supposed to be there in the first place. ;)

The next time you do a fresh install, go into Taskmanager and see what IS running, and then what gets added along the way as you re-install your apps.

Then when something IS out of place, you'll have a good idea just looking at the list of processes running.

I got an e-mail once from some spoonheads try to hawk their "spyware, etc" proggie... The jist of the e-mail was "Do you have xxxxx.exe" running in YOUR Taskmanager? If so, OMG you've been haxored!!!!!!1111one111 Try to delete it, or stop the process. YOU CAN'T!! OH NOS!!! Download out stuff right away!!!!"

Oddly, within a couple days preceeding getting that e-mail, we had discussed the exact file in my Win 2000 Admin class, and I knew by name it was a legit (and required) file...part of W2K itself.

I think I sent them back an e-mail telling them to blow it out their arse, but I digress...that's not the point. The point IS, I was familiar with it, and knew it should be there. ;)

B.

Mr B said:
(not directed @ you Nikh... ;) )

Re: 2A above... It's a really good idea to familiarize yourself with what IS supposed to be there in the first place. ;)

The next time you do a fresh install, go into Taskmanager and see what IS running, and then what gets added along the way as you re-install your apps.

Then when something IS out of place, you'll have a good idea just looking at the list of processes running.

I got an e-mail once from some spoonheads try to hawk their "spyware, etc" proggie... The jist of the e-mail was "Do you have xxxxx.exe" running in YOUR Taskmanager? If so, OMG you've been haxored!!!!!!1111one111 Try to delete it, or stop the process. YOU CAN'T!! OH NOS!!! Download out stuff right away!!!!"

Oddly, within a couple days preceeding getting that e-mail, we had discussed the exact file in my Win 2000 Admin class, and I knew by name it was a legit (and required) file...part of W2K itself.

I think I sent them back an e-mail telling them to blow it out their arse, but I digress...that's not the point. The point IS, I was familiar with it, and knew it should be there. ;)

B.

good point, however, ending the task of something that looks iffy won't do any harm, except your machine might crash :D If it doesn't then no harm done. Once you are clean and reboot, only what should be there should be there.

Back