• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I keep a window always on top?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOKEU

If I'm trying to keep something always on top such as Adobe Reader or other such application to prevent it from minimizing whenever I click out of it, how do I do it in Windows 7? I've tried Power Menu but that doesn't do anything.

Windows 7 doesn't have that ability. You'll have to find and download some additional software that will allow you to do that.

Individual application settings may have the 'Always On Top' option.

If they don't then :shrug:.

The thing that I would also find useful is how to make individual windows not minimize when you click on minimize all button. This would especially be useful for dual monitor configurations. Please post back in this thread if you find anything that can prevent individual apps being minimized unless you manually minimize them, or always keep them on top unless you manually move them.

Individual application settings may have the 'Always On Top' option.

If they don't then :shrug:.

The thing that I would also find useful is how to make individual windows not minimize when you click on minimize all button. This would especially be useful for dual monitor configurations. Please post back in this thread if you find anything that can prevent individual apps being minimized unless you manually minimize them, or always keep them on top unless you manually move them.

On Windows 7 you can click and hold on the top pane of any window and then shake your mouse while still holding down the left mouse button. This minimizes all windows except the wind that you shake. If you do it again all the windows return to there previous sizes.

Yeah. But if you have a dual monitor config, what if you want one window *always* up while you work and minimize windows on the other monitor.

I'd like to lock in one window maximized so that nothing can minimize it unless it's done manually.

Yeah. But if you have a dual monitor config, what if you want one window *always* up while you work and minimize windows on the other monitor.

I'd like to lock in one window maximized so that nothing can minimize it unless it's done manually.

The only way you're going to be able to do that is by maximizing the window on one monitor and selectively minimizing windows on the other.

If you are not opposed to using free third-party software that runs in the background, I would suggest autohotkey, found here: http://www.autohotkey.com/ Simply edit the script it gives you when you first run the program and paste in on a new line this code:

^!U:: Winset, Alwaysontop, , A
return

This means when you press ctrl+alt+u the selected window will be set to stay on top. You can customize this command and many others in the script very easily using the documentation on the site. If you are opposed to using third-party software, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

OK I loaded it but CTRL+ALT+U does not enable any window to stay up after I click on Show Desktop link to minimize/maximize all windows.

Attachments

• AutoHotKey.png
    AutoHotKey.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 3,147
Well then... unfortunately I am not overly familiar with this script as I simply copy/pasted it into my autohotkey script from here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13784/keep-a-window-on-top-with-a-handy-autohotkey-script/

Nearish the bottom of the post he has the script code he used. The documentation relating to the command WinSet can be found here:

http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/commands/WinSet.htm

Other than that, is there a space in between the two commas that go in between the alwaysontop command and the A? There must either be a space, or it must say "toggle" like this:

^!U:: Winset, Alwaysontop,toggle, A
return

This code works on my system both with the toggle and the space... I am not truly sure why it wouldn't work on your system. The other option is to follow the first link I have provided and download his program to see if that works. It is a standalone version of autohotkey with a built-in and pre-compiled script.

EDIT: Upon re-reading your comment, I realized that I am a fool... :p No it doesn't stay up when you click on show desktop, sorry. However, if I understand correctly, this should still work for the OP's needs.

Last edited:
Back