• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i manage a vapochill (questions b4 buying)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you don't have a certification for it, it will be very hard to buy the gas. When you get the refrigerant, you might want to get it vacuumed. Local garages will sometimes do that for you. (for a heafty fee) To gas it, you would need a gauge set with hoses. Make sure you get one for r12 and not for r134a.

This looks like what you need.
http://www.toolrage.com/prodView.asp?idproduct=1729

What gas are you going to use?

Im just considering the stuff i have to do to keep it up and then i might buy 2, one for my CPU and one for my GPU, Vapochill Micro Extreme Performance Model.

So, how many times do i hav to regas it n stuff, and what gases can i use? how much does it cost and whats the best one and best value one?

-_{MoW}_-Assasi said:
Im just considering the stuff i have to do to keep it up and then i might buy 2, one for my CPU and one for my GPU, Vapochill Micro Extreme Performance Model.

So, how many times do i hav to regas it n stuff, and what gases can i use? how much does it cost and whats the best one and best value one?
you...dont have to regas a vapochill, which is a lot different from a vapochill micro, btw. the micro model should never need re-gassing, the full models should only need it if you break them, or want to modify them for colder temps.

-_{MoW}_-Assasi said:
ta, will it work for a GPU as well? the micro?

The Vapochill micro is only a heatsink as far as I know, and it wont work on a GPU. Its not an actual compressor>condensor>evaporator

shard said:
last i heard, now this is just hearsay, is that its just a air pressure sensitive freon in the micro, so thus it cant hit realy low temps at all
yeah, it's not a supercooling device, just a good heatsink

umm yeah, I was gonna say, it's a HS not a phase change unit (well, it is but sorta not)

as far as a gpu....would they even be able to make something like that? i mean the space and the fact that it would be upsidedown in the case. doesn't the gas have to rise for the fan to cool it? i dunno. just wondering.

I'm currently researching the VapoChill Micro. Yeah, I know, it's just a heat sink. That's all I need. I wont be taking my 4400 above 2.8 if even that and I'll be changing the air in the case enough to maintain 50 degrees and cooler. So how does this unit stack up to the heat sink competition?

I've seen reviews but nothing that pits it up against anyone else.

EDIT:
I should note that my 50 degree comment comes from having always used Intel. So I'm going to further assume that appling the same air cooling to an AMD will give much cooler results.

Last edited:
im thinking of getting a bbmodded vapochill ls .. after the holidays .. basically its a different compressor .. quieter and also colder temps .. people from XS said the vapochill ls should last a long time .. as in years .. before it could need regassing .. not sure though ..

madhatR said:
im thinking of getting a bbmodded vapochill ls .. after the holidays .. basically its a different compressor .. quieter and also colder temps .. people from XS said the vapochill ls should last a long time .. as in years .. before it could need regassing .. not sure though ..
is this a question or what?

I've seen the unit myself. It is basically compressor swapped vapo LS. (using mach compressor which is more capable). The compressor has more capcacity as well as being quiet while using same amount of electricity. (tad more expensive though).
In fact, I made few single stage with that compressor and get consistantly 10c colder temp under load than vapochill would and it is quiet vs vapochill LS.
As for original poster question, it is just a refrigeration loop. Unless there is breakage which leads to leak, it doesn't need recharging. How often do you recharge your fridge? :)
Mounting to GPU will need some creative method of mounting obviously as the evaporator wasn't designed for GPU. Also I would recommend not trying that on GPU as condensation will be major problem for daily rig. There is a reason why benchers can't just bench all the time. They freeze the card up than will have to thaw it up and wait for it to dry, etc.
Will be selling couple of my units in next week once everything is wrapped up :) (no not mach or vapo... but inside lian li v2000 case one hehe)

Back