• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I remove this Passive Heat Sink. I think it's glued on?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billstuck

and when I do get it off am I supposed to sand off the glue or will it come off with alcohol or something?

Thanks

Stick it in an anti static bag and throw it in the freezer for 20 mins.

Then just use some goof off to get the residual off.
Rob

Robbie said:
Stick it in an anti static bag and throw it in the freezer for 20 mins.

Then just use some goof off to get the residual off.
Rob

Heres some additional info:

Place it in a Anti Static baggie, then put it in the freezer for up to 20 min or so, then get a credit card and a butterknife.

Now place the credit card up against the heatsink, now place the butterknife on the credit card and gently place the knife under the heatsink a little bit. Now gently rotate or twist the butterknife and the Glued on heatsink will pop right off. The reason for the credit card is to protect the resistors and such on the video cards pcb.

Hope this info helps.

This is a good tip. Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a try tonight

I decided to leave the passive Heat Sink on and strapped a fan to it. I also chopped an old celeron 700mhz CPU sink in half and stuck it on the RAM. :)

fb201b13.jpg

fb201b11.jpg

Nice job, many people slap on fans to their passive heatsinks and thats a great alternative if you feel uncomfortable putting your card in the freezer with the popsicles :)

Back