• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I resue a copy of XP Pro that was on a computer already?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrank001

I want to use a copy of XP Pro that is currently installed on my laptop for my new build.

I then will install the copy of Vista that came with my laptop back on it. I'm only doing this to save money.

I'm not keen on Vista but It came with my Acer laptop and it's just doing nothing. I don't like proprietary either but oh well.

What is the process to do this? How do I use my XP Pro again on a different computer? Do I have to ask Microsoft?

Thanks

If it's a retail copy of XP, you can install it on your new rig but you will need to call to activate it. Just tell them you transfered it to a new machine and removed it from the old machine.
If it's an OEM (aka System Builders) edition of XP, you will have to get a little more creative when talking to them on the phone.
OEM versions are not suppose to be transfered to a new machine (at least according to Microsoft).

Is it a retail or oem copy of XP?

If its retail you can install it on whatever machine you want. If its OEM, technically its only supposed to be installed on one machine.

Sounds like you are just re-installing XP on the original machine it was on so it should be fine. Worst case scenario is when you go to activate it, you may need to call them for activation.

It is an academic upgrade version to XP Pro.

What I'll do is when loading onto my new rig I will install my old copy of 98SE and then install the XP Pro. The same thing I did when I installed it on my laptop.

Will it still work or do I have to call? Do you have a number handy?

Thanks Again

You will have to see what happens when you activate it. If you need to call it will provide you with the phone number and the code to give to microsoft.

You don't need to install 98 first.
Boot to the XP disk and start the install. When the XP setup asks you for a qualifying upgrade, insert the Win98 disk, let it read it, and after it's done it will continue to the next dialog.
Remove the 98 disk, insert the XP disk, and continue the install.
I wish the Vista upgrade disk will do that.

Good luck!

You don't need to install 98 first.
Boot to the XP disk and start the install. When the XP setup asks you for a qualifying upgrade, insert the Win98 disk, let it read it, and after it's done it will continue to the next dialog.
Remove the 98 disk, insert the XP disk, and continue the install.
I wish the Vista upgrade disk will do that.

Good luck!

I was almost sure that the Vista upgrade will let you install a "trial version" onto a fresh hard drive. From there you can do the upgrade install. I thought I had seen a thread around here about it. It seems to be a bit more time consuming, but from what I had read, it works. I will see if I can dig up that thread. It's really too bad that it doesn't work like XP did where all you have to do is just put in the older version disc.

Edit: Found it: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=498314&highlight=vista+upgrade+clean+install

Thanks.
I heard about something like that. It would be allot cleaner than upgrading from XP.
It's still time consuming though.
Most customers, who want to upgrade to Vista, usually want to retain there data so the normal upgrade path would be the only option.
That trick would work perfect on new builds or for customers who want a clean install.

Thanks again.

I thought about going the upgrade route, only because it is really a pain to move all of my data. I did some research, and it looked like it would install it like it was a fresh drive, keeping all your data, and putting it in a folder called Windows.old. It looked like it then deleted the WinXP folder, but in the process you lose your XP key. I don't think it is worth making my XP key invalid. I ended up just taking the drive to the other computer in the house, and plugged it in to an available SATA port and transfered all the data. The bad thing is, right after I installed Vista, the HDD started clicking, so I ended up digging out a spare 20 gig I had laying around, and installed Ubuntu. I will work on recovering the data once the new one gets here. I also know that it is better to do a clean install.

[off topic] 69 GTO? Is that The Judge? Probably my favorite GTO. [/off topic]

No Judge, just a standard '69 GTO although it's nothing to sneeze at.
They had five different levels of GTO's then:
Standard coupe/convertible w/400 2 barrel (290HP) auto trans
Standard coupe/convertible w/400 4 barrel (350HP) auto or stick< mine but my 400 puts out 400+HP
Standard coupe/convertible w/400 RAM AIR III (366HP) auto or stick
Judge coupe/convertible w/400 RAM AIR III (366HP) auto or stick
The RAM AIR IV (370HP) was available for all body styles w/auto or stick
My GTO is more a resto-rod than anything. It has aftermarket wheels, a Judge spoiler on the trunk lid, and a modified original 400/auto trans setup.
The color will be (it's getting painted as I write this) the original Palladium Silver.
It should be a knockout when it's done.

Microsoft can't tell if two computers have the same XP lic.... The activation is based on a predetermined number of activations per 6months(Its rumored to be 6mo)

Microsoft can't tell if two computers have the same XP lic.... The activation is based on a predetermined number of activations per 6months(Its rumored to be 6mo)

120 days per activation.

Somehow it wasn't the case. I was able to activate it on two different computers within a month.

Don't know what's up with MS.

The same copy made me to call to activate when I upgraded a few hardware like a few years back. But afterwards, it was always one click to activate, no matter how many changes in the hardware or even a complete different PC(talking about Intel and AMD, yeah that different!). Maybe they made notes to save themselves trouble, "this user keeps changing hardware." :p

Back