• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I switch the dual boot order?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TehYoyo

For anyone who has dual (or more!) booted, you know that you're given options of which OS to boot from.

I have two copies of windows, but my secondary copy appears first. This means that if I don't select my original copy, the secondary copy boots, which I don't always want.

How do I switch the order of the dual-boot?

Computer Properties -> Advanced System Settings -> Startup and Recovery (Settings... Button)

System Startup.png

Alright. Update: It worked.

New question:
Can I disable that screen altogether? Can I make it not give me any choice and just boot straight to the first boot device? It would be just normal (as if only one OS was installed) and then if I wanted to use the second OS, I could just switch boot order.

If you're confused - let me know :D

Thanks!

Use EasyBCD freeware.

Do not set Bootloader timout to 0, set it to at least 2 seconds, otherwise you won't be able to change OS at bootup by repeatedly pressing keyboard arrows to pause at the bootup OS screen selection so you can make a choice if needed at bootup.

Simply CHECKING default Operating System - saves default OS. There is no need to click on Save Settings to change default OS.

http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1
[Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]

Attachments

• EasyBCD.jpg
    EasyBCD.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 225
Use EasyBCD freeware.

Do not set Bootloader timout to 0, set it to at least 2 seconds, otherwise you won't be able to change OS at bootup by repeatedly pressing keyboard arrows to pause at the bootup OS screen selection so you can make a choice if needed at bootup.

Simply CHECKING default Operating System - saves default OS. There is no need to click on Save Settings to change default OS.

http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1
[Scroll Down and use any Name & Email to Download]

Seems useful - can I check that "skip boot menu" option that I see and then just boot from the hard drive like I wanted to?

Yes, I leave it on 2 seconds - that way I can have a chance to press the arrow keys to manually switch OS, if something goes wrong or if I just want to change my mind mid-boot which OS to boot into.

Back