• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do you fill/bleed a tube type resivor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

For those that have the tube type reservoirs....how do you fill and bleed the system when you use the fill port for the inlet? I have seen some reservoirs with two inlets, so that one is a no brainer.

What do you do, remove the tube, fill up the res, put the tube back on, run the pump, and continue until full? Even then how do you bleed it?

you should design your loop in such a way that you do not have that problem.

Which is why i say that you should use multiport radiator if reservoir is not highest point in loop. Otherwise, every loop should have a fill/bleed port.. a simple T+ valve or something a bit more complex, for example
ee1ec151_104_2441.jpeg

I used a simple T fitting (3-way hose barb) placed in a high spot in the tubing. The radiator was either upside down (fitting side up) or level in the bottom of the case.
Place a funnel in the open ended T tubing and fill. Gravity works.
Once you get no more bubbles up, "bump" the pump to make sure it's wet before turning it full on.
The bubbles find their way out through the T, and you keep the T tube filled. Running the system will get every last bit of air, though you may have to tip the system front to back because sometimes air gets trapped in the rad no matter what you do (with any type of res).

A T tube is a small reservoir, that just needs filling more often when you first get it filled. Not much difference from there on out, except they're cheap as a fitting, don't scratch, and don't take up space you have to plan for...and they aren't made out of Chinese acrylic that's seemingly allergic to every cleaner known to mankind.

Last edited:
The reason I stopped using T's and went to a res is the time it takes to bleed with a T. The difference is hours to minutes if you have the right res.

Very true. That's why I bought the Swifty radiator with the reservoir built in...handy darn piece of kit!

I've dinked around with reservoirs for some time, even had one that held over a gallon, but the res/rad has proven the least problematic.

Last edited:
I have a Photon 170 I'm thinking of using for the CPU/motherboard loop. Is it worth changing the 3.2 pump out for an MCP35X? It'll definitely be the EK bay res with dual MCP35X for the GPU.

The rest of my STH10 parts will be here tomorrow, so I can finally do something.

I have a Photon 170 I'm thinking of using for the CPU/motherboard loop. Is it worth changing the 3.2 pump out for an MCP35X? It'll definitely be the EK bay res with dual MCP35X for the GPU.

The rest of my STH10 parts will be here tomorrow, so I can finally do something.

170-1.jpg

From this image, you could use one of the threads as inlet and the other as outlet to the pumps and use the top as a fill/bleed port.

Oh, I thought were doing one whole single loop. Regardless that pump should handle the CPU loop.

I have one of these that I never used. It's a shame too because it is a beautiful piece. The way I planned on bleeding it was the large screw at the top. You can't see it in that pic but a piece of tubing should fit in there to help with filling. Put a funnel at the end of the tube and fill as you go. Fill, pump on, pump off, fill, repeat. I never looked but there might be a fitting that will screw in the hole so that might be something to look in to.

Oh, THAT kind of tube res..
Yeah, just mount it in your case with all the other cooling gear and use a tube and funnel to fill it as BugFreak suggested. Simple really once you get started, it'll all make sense.
All the fittings are at the bottom, so water isn't going to come rushing out the top when the pump is turned off as long as you don't run it empty while filling the rest of the system by pump...

A lot of people use the top for an inlet and plug off the pump inlet. THAT makes it hard to bleed.

Yeah, that sounds about right. The air pockets will just want to travel back to the top of the inlet for those than. There's ways to make it look good by using the bottom ports. My guess it looks better and easier to just connect it to the top and have it come out the bottom but there will be bleeding issues as you said.

I use this res. Pump is connected to the one hole. The inlet is on top. I have two blanks on top. To fill I connect a fitting with some tubing on top and use a funnel. To drain I have a small hose for a fish tank and drop in the res just siphon it.
BP-WTZM250P-BK.jpg

Back