• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How fast can you get an FX-8350?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rtpb5642

My rig:

CPU: 8350 @5.2Ghz
GPU: XFX HD5450
Motherboard: Sabertooth R2.0 990FX
PSU: Corsair RM 850w
Storage: 1 120GB SSD and 2 WD Black 1TB in RAID 0
Cooling: Corsair H100
RAM: 8GB 2x4gb GIEL @2133

So i have everything running well at 5.2ghz, i can get it to 5.3 but not stable, like it boots but can't do anything stressful. At 5.2 my CPU is at 1.62(or 1.61 I'm out so can't see now) so running well at 5.2, and id like to get it faster :D
This is not a gaming rig, just something i build to overlock the *** out of, how fast have you gotten an 8350? if so what specs like voltage etc. i want to go to Ghz.. lol I'm building a temporary cooling system that will run on live tap water just to see if i can get to 6Ghz... so far the H100 is holding up. At 5.2Ghz idle is 34C and i don't put much load on it other than prime 95 that got it to 60C so i stopped it, intel burn test works well until 5.2

Thanks

temp's are my issue. I can get 5.5 at 1.675(was really bored and had $200 set aside just in case) but that made it all of 2 minutes into prime before I was hitting my temp ceiling haha.

I had to bump it up a little bit if I remember correctly, but this was when I first got it. so I can't remember. I certainly don't recommend it unless you want to buy a new cpu haha.

I was prime stable @5.5, 2 hours with a lot more cooling than you, 5.0 is a very good clock with an h100i.
go dig very deeply into the just putzen around thread, that should take no more than a few months to dig through, and Rgones link will make great reading.

As Rgone says I've had the 9370 to 6.0 but and this is a big one you really need exceptional cooling and I had water at the time that was in the -20c range.. Like C_D says for the cooler you're using if you want good stability 5.0 is a good mark depending on the voltage needed to run that clock stable. What are you using to test stability and temps??

5.2ghz is a good number for these chips. Mine was pretty darn stable at 5.2ghz, nice cool temps. Not -20c like Johan's, but cool enough to get'er over 5ghz!

Good show OP!

Attachments

• 5.2ghz Cinebench R11 FX-8350.png
    5.2ghz Cinebench R11 FX-8350.png
    228.6 KB · Views: 1,826
  • 5.2ghz Cinebench R15 FX-8350.png
    5.2ghz Cinebench R15 FX-8350.png
    225.1 KB · Views: 1,799
you gotta find one that will do 5.0 at around 1.5 and then cool the crudd out of it.

This is as far as I can go with my cooler. I've gone out to 5.4 at 1.600 volts but needed cold weather to get there.

I want to add another rad to my setup but I may not now that I have a DICE pot.

Attachments

• 5330.jpg
    5330.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 1,795
Man you guys are ballsy with that vcore haha.

It's funny you say that but.....

Running a Prime95 on a 90nm Windsor as we speak at only 3.423Mhz and is using 1.5250 + 3% LLC to get there.

Now that same voltage nets 5ghz ++ on 32nm FX. It's kind of neat to watch it all go down, talking 1600mhz clock increase between the two chips.

The last time I went ballsy was pushing 2v at 7ghz :shrug:

Man you guys are ballsy with that vcore haha.

I would have gone further but ran out of thermal head room with a single 360 rad and needed very low ambient temps for 1.600 volts. I can do 1.5-1.520 volts but anything higher and it throttles hard.

I don't think you can damage these chips at ~1.6V. More likely it will be damaged because of too long work at too high temps. I actually checked that when you turn off every protection and power saving feature then FX can run at ~99*C and they're shutting down above 105*C.
Depends from cooling, when you see them in idle ~0*C then internal temp under load can still jump to 80*C+ but software not always registers it due to too long delay between read points. Then it randomly crashes.
My FX8120 was overheating above ~1.55V on SS ( -20*C idle ) and I simply couldn't set higher voltage for any longer test even though 1.55V was enough for ~5.5GHz. Valid was max 6.08GHz ~1.62V or something near ( long time ago ). FX8320 was much worse. My A8 6600K hates anything above 1.7V on SS so I guess I need LN2 as dice won't help much. One board already died when I was trying 1.8V+.

Overheating point can be lower than declared max temp. For instance it can be also ~30-40*C when you run at already high clock and high voltage. Also remember that temperature reading points are not showing all CPU temp and core temps are always lower than some other parts of CPU. When you are using sub 0 cooling then you are freezing all socket. When you use air or water then you are only cooling IHS so parts that are touching directly IHS.

Actually one funny thing is that good watercooling set is as good if not better than ss for these chips. They're simply overloading most ss units. You can see nice temps in idle but under load it spikes to the values your CPU is losing stability.

Last edited:
you gotta find one that will do 5.0 at around 1.5 and then cool the crudd out of it.

How about 5.3 and stable at 1.5V?

http://valid.canardpc.com/fbz7dw

I've long suspected that I lucked out on a nice chip and seeing the vitamin V everyone is using to get past 5.0 confirms it I think. Still having trouble with stability past 5.3 though although I've got rock-solid configs for 5.25. Any suggestions? It's -30 here in Manitoba and I wanna use it! :D

Back