• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hard is it to put the cpu in the mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coldashes

Registered
I am really nervous that I will bend the pis or ruin the contacts when I put it in the mobo. Is it easy to put it in without causing any damage? I know You just place the cpu on top of the pins lining up the corners, but something makes me ferl like ill screw it up. How fragile is the cpu? I woulf also like to mention that I am sorry to be posting on the forums so much lately its just that im more nervous now knowing I am ready to build my computer. Probably should mention the mobo and cpu are lga 1150

You will be hard pushed to damage the CPU, intel CPUs are much more user friendly to handle than AMD CPUs, so as long as you don't drop it out of a window or hit it with a hammer the CPU will be fine..... Now on the other hand the socket pins are pretty fragile and bend really easily but as long as you don't catch them on, say a thread from a shirt etc, you will be fine, and the lever to lock the CPU down sometimes need a good pit of pressure on it to lock down, this is normal and don't be afraid to push down a bit, as long as its in the socket with all the little cut puts from the CPU matched up with the raised dots on the socket you will be fine. :thup:

It's not hard I was really nervous too, you don't even have to push it, just hold the cpu with two fingers not touching the bottom line up the notches to the socket, hold it milimeters above the socket, and just drop it in.

+1 to what the two above me said, if you just drop it in with no force you are good to go. My main concern when I build my first pc was the was the pin of the holder. I could require quite a bit force of force. If the CPU is seated correctly don't worry there :)

Edit: I missed the word, pin of the holder means lever of course. No force on the pins. Poor English :/

Last edited:
One important t thing. It only fits in one way. If you need to force it you are doing something wrong.

Pulling the lever down to lock it in place sometimes takes more force than you would expect though.

There is an arrow on the cpu, and an arrow in the socket. Just line them up, and there you go.
It'll drop right into place.

It only fits one way. Make sure it drops straight down and in when you close the retention clip.

Yea wasn't bad at all computers been together for a week and so far so good :)

That thread from a shirt thing caught my eye, Keny. I have done that and it is n0 freeken fun. Now I only swap them in short-sleeves. Hehehe. Good warning.
RGone...

You will be hard pushed to damage the CPU, intel CPUs are much more user friendly to handle than AMD CPUs, so as long as you don't drop it out of a window or hit it with a hammer the CPU will be fine..... Now on the other hand the socket pins are pretty fragile and bend really easily but as long as you don't catch them on, say a thread from a shirt etc, you will be fine, and the lever to lock the CPU down sometimes need a good pit of pressure on it to lock down, this is normal and don't be afraid to push down a bit, as long as its in the socket with all the little cut puts from the CPU matched up with the raised dots on the socket you will be fine. :thup:

Back