• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many actually still use 38mm fans (or thicker) on a daily use rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you still run 38mm fans on your daily driver?

• Yes

Votes: 68 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 56 36.1%
  • Thicker

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • What's a 38mm fan?

Votes: 28 18.1%

• Total voters
DSC03160small.jpg

yes thats all i use apart from 1 fan. gotta say these things are amazing. and yes these fans will destroy any scythe gentle poofoon.
Nice setup..!

I sure hope that fan will beat out another fan costing half and 25mm not 38mm.....BUT its also a shed load louder. Different strokes for different folks. This isnt a contest. ;)

Welcome!

Oh c'mon guys. His comment was funny anyways. I'm finding my Delta's aren't too loud when in operation. Apart from when I turn the computer on initially they stay at minimum RPMs. I just let the controller in the H100 handle things.... They're quite bearable for everyday use.

I would use 38mm thick deltas on every part of my case but the fact that they need molex power is what turns me off from the idea.

I use 38x120 Panaflo's on mine. Got 4 on my H100 and 1 in the back. 25mm fans are just too thin :D I run em at different voltages depending on clocks and volts used, right now they are quieter than a whisper @ 4200mhz @ 1.3v :thup:

I USED to.

until I learned how to PWM mod AP-30 and AP-31
then all a sudden. no more. :)

HA, this is the exact thread Ive been looking for!!!!! I actually just had one of my old Scythe Flex Fan's bearing go bad and slam my H70Rad snapping off a blade. As you can see in my sig, Im running a mixture of a delta fan and a Scythe S-Flex G. I have actually been debating about slapping in a couple of 38mm fans on to my H70. Noise isnt an issue but the nidec fans seem like a nice option. Ill take some pics of my setup when I get home but thanks for the great info here.

My question is, do the 38mm actually make a big difference with air pressure? I have personally never even touched one. I was stuck in the 25mm range because I swapped out the fans on my old Cooler Master V8. I was never really happy with the performance with how big the damn thing was. Just as well, my current delta on my temps is roughly 21-23C with the H-70 with my current fan setup.

HA, this is the exact thread Ive been looking for!!!!! I actually just had one of my old Scythe Flex Fan's bearing go bad and slam my H70Rad snapping off a blade. As you can see in my sig, Im running a mixture of a delta fan and a Scythe S-Flex G. I have actually been debating about slapping in a couple of 38mm fans on to my H70. Noise isnt an issue but the nidec fans seem like a nice option. Ill take some pics of my setup when I get home but thanks for the great info here.

My question is, do the 38mm actually make a big difference with air pressure? I have personally never even touched one. I was stuck in the 25mm range because I swapped out the fans on my old Cooler Master V8. I was never really happy with the performance with how big the damn thing was. Just as well, my current delta on my temps is roughly 21-23C with the H-70 with my current fan setup.

Nidec BetaV? Those are enterprise level fans, not desktop :) And awesome, put them face down on the desk and play hockey. Or put them as top exhausts on your case and try putting anything on top and watch it blow off :)

that was my first 38mm fan. I went panaflo sanyace and scythe after that

Are them that good, blue?

within the zone of noise-comfort vs Performance, nothing really at the level of AP-30 and AP-31, their problem is that they don't come with PWM control, and at max, they are very noisey but at 150 CFM and huge static pressure. they perform better that the Ultra Kaze at 133 CFM.

but that's not the defining factor.
many 38mm fan drop in performance when you use FAN control, and I notice the drop is not linear either. at half the voltage, you will get maybe just 1/4 of the CFM. ( I am not trying to be exact, just sharing my experience in general).

Whereby the Ap-30/31 does much better at lower RPMs. the difference is so strong that there's a physical change in airflow when I use the AP-30 fans as intake over the ultra kaze, at mid-voltage, I can still feel air 'gushing' out, whereby the Ultra kaze is just a breeze out.

but I can only 'tell' you what I know.. you must see for yourself. :)

:comp:

It actually wasn't in a case...stupid enough to plug it in while holding it to see if I wired it correctly (it was a Delta, not a GT, but same idea). Dropped it, tried to catch it...yeah. :D

It actually wasn't in a case...stupid enough to plug it in while holding it to see if I wired it correctly (it was a Delta, not a GT, but same idea). Dropped it, tried to catch it...yeah. :D

I feel you. Fortunately in my case, the Ultra Kaze was weaker than my finger, for some reason. I completely destroyed two Ultra Kaze blades, but my fingers were intact.

Scythe America went under but Scythe is still going strong, and its products remain available. They will stand up a new distributor.

Back