• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many actually still use 38mm fans (or thicker) on a daily use rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you still run 38mm fans on your daily driver?

• Yes

Votes: 68 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 56 36.1%
  • Thicker

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • What's a 38mm fan?

Votes: 28 18.1%

• Total voters
Id love to be able to afford a daily itx rig, and my gaming rig, but unfortunatly, my gaming rig IS my daily rig =[

That's terrible! I, for example, have my Gmail rig, my OCForums rig, my Minecraft rig, my general-purpose Chrome rig, a backup rig if I want to use Firefox, my folding rig, my other rig specifically for NOT folding... :D

Dont hate me cuz i'm beautiful

I don't think it's a particularly balanced poll. Everyone who uses 38mm fans sees the title and comes running to vote "yes". :)

tru.dat

But getting hurt is half the fun...
33kdis8.jpg

Been there done that in fact it was on this fan (look down)

GREAT fans

Had my first nidec betaV lke 10 years ago :)

FYI: they are made for industry not for enthusiasts. they are loud, suck a lot fo power and move a ton of air at very high pressure.

There really needs to be a "sometimes" option for this, it varies widely for me :D

It's not an extreme computer build if you didn't shed blood for it. I remember the first time I installed my TRUE120 I sliced my finger open on one of the fins. I left the blood on it as a trophy for the cooler.

I hate my TRUE. Thing is cut me open more times than I care to remember.
Still use it though cause it performs nicely :D

Delta FFC1212DE on my copper TRUE, which for a few hours was cooling my 980X - now it's the Nidec BetaV that Bob also has, which is IMO a much better fan!!

980xcooling.jpg

I love those Beta V fans, though the JouJyes are my new favorites.
One of the things I like about the nidec is that there isn't any slow startup nonsense. PWM says 5000RPM? Nidec says WHAM5000RPM!

I love those Beta V fans, though the JouJyes are my new favorites.
One of the things I like about the nidec is that there isn't any slow startup nonsense. PWM says 5000RPM? Nidec says WHAM5000RPM!

Agree with your observation on 38mm fans, among them the Nidec Beta V 38mm families, it feels like they react to pwm signal pretty fast and very responsive, and looks like it has a really strong stator and magnet. Although I haven't measure it in detail using scope, but it just feels its really agile and strong.

What are the attributes of fans that make them play nicely with PWM fan controllers? I had an old PWM fan controller that caused audible clicking in my Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000s that doesn't happen in my non-PWM fan controller I'm using now. Is it the bearing or the motor or something else?

I just ripped the heatsinks off my Vengance RAMs to make way for some 38mms on my CPU cooler. Gone a little mad with the fans at the moment. I'm going for a PB of 12 fans inside a CM 690 II case

I did some reading that the RAM is not going to generate that much heat at 1.5V anyway, plus there is a lot of airflow . Hit 59 Gflops with the i7-950 on air , max temps 69 after 20 minutes of Intel burn test.

how good are the Delta AFB1212VHE

Compared to my Panaflo ultra highs, they move about 15 more CFM, but at the cost of twice the noise. If you aren't too worried about noise, I would say go for the Deltas. If you want a little less noise, go for the Panaflo ultra highs. As far as performance is concerned, you aren't likely to notice the difference.

Delta AF series fans are beautiful - I have an AFC1212DE which is the PWM version of the AFB1212 fans. The beauty of the AFC1212DE is that it goes down to about 1000rpm so can be very quiet but has performance when needed.

@TsunamiJuan, deadlysyn is right - it is indeed a Thermalright HR-03GT. One advantage of the Palit 460 is that it uses a non-standard hole spacing which is exactly the same as the G80 graphics cards (8800GT, GTX etc) so the HR-03GT fits perfectly without the need for a modified bolt thru kit. :thup:

Now running two 120 x 50.8 mm fans in the front of my new case: Silverstone PS07: The two knobs at the front are the PWM-Control for them.
img_61052kjd8.jpg
img_60995tj8m.jpg
img_6093rokuc.jpg

nothor - you did what I want to do: mated a Powercolor SC3 6850 with a 120mm fan. Which fan did you use? How is it working out?

Back