• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many actually still use 38mm fans (or thicker) on a daily use rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you still run 38mm fans on your daily driver?

• Yes

Votes: 68 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 56 36.1%
  • Thicker

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • What's a 38mm fan?

Votes: 28 18.1%

• Total voters
I think this is significant to the entire industry. AMD has failed to continue to compete with Intel in recent years and it doesn't currently look like they can catch up short of changing the market itself. If Intel has no competitors then we'll return to the bad old days with very little improvement from Intel.

Mind you, I also believe that the majority of desktop and notebooks for corporates will end up being ARM based units. Microsoft developing Windows 8 for ARM is significant to the industy. Intels makor competitor is no longer AMD, but rather ARM, and they're bringing the fight to Intels traditional markets, the desktop and notebook segments.

As far as 38mm fans go, do you guys think it'd be worthwhile to mount my 2 Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000s on my Xigmatek Gaia, use my Yate Loon mediums, or go with the fan that comes with the heatsink?

As far as 38mm fans go, do you guys think it'd be worthwhile to mount my 2 Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000s on my Xigmatek Gaia, use my Yate Loon mediums, or go with the fan that comes with the heatsink?

By all means try at least one UK2K. They're good fans.

Turns out the Ultra Kazes didn't fit over my memory heatspreaders, so I'm rocking the single Xigmatek fan for a while.

I was going to ask, can the 38mm fit ? My current 25mm goes very close to the memory and I don't think I have another cm room either.

Can you mount the heatsink sideways? Its something I'm considering

Will that not slow the memory down? I'm sure my manual specifically told me what slots to use

They need to be in alternating slots, like this:

x 2 x 4
or
1 x 3 x

As long as the memory are in the x slots, then it'll run in dual channel mode. Being in slots 1 and 3 isn't any faster than slots 2 and 4 to my knowledge.

Turns out the Ultra Kazes didn't fit over my memory heatspreaders, so I'm rocking the single Xigmatek fan for a while.

And this, dear children, is why Daddy says to always buy low profile RAM, no matter what the salesmen might say.

...or buy Corsair Dominator GT, which not only is amazing memory but also has removable heatsinks :D :thup:

The G.Skill Sniper memory I bought has fairly small heat spreaders, I didn't think they'd get in the way. Sadly...

... the heat spreaders were not small enough.

Well, you can buy 3d-party low profile RAM heatsinks. Or, with the price of memory these days, just buy more memory and put the Snipers in a non-OC rig.

Do you think a fan will fit above the Vengance RAM with heatsink removed?

I'm tempted to get some 3000rpm 38mm fans for the CPU but there is absolutely no room right now with the heatsinks on.

And does the memory actually need a heatsink?

Do you think a fan will fit above the Vengance RAM with heatsink removed?

I'm tempted to get some 3000rpm 38mm fans for the CPU but there is absolutely no room right now with the heatsinks on.

And does the memory actually need a heatsink?

That would depend on the RAM's Voltage. If it needs 1.6v a low profile heatsink would probably be a good idea. If it needs 1.5v or less you probably don't even need a heatsink.

Look at some of the RAM sticks sold without heatsinks and see what Voltages they need.

You can buy replacement low profile heatsinks for the sticks that are directly under the front fan.

I am running some server class 38x119 24v fans on my 12v headers, they are super quiet, and let me run my cpu at 4.1 comfortably with my old true. Offhand I am not sure of the model numbers of them, but they have an agressive looking pitch(?) so at 24v they would probably be insanely loud and move some serious air..

When I tried some 24v fans I ran into hideous clicking. You had a better experience.

Back