• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many actually still use 38mm fans (or thicker) on a daily use rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you still run 38mm fans on your daily driver?

• Yes

Votes: 68 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 56 36.1%
  • Thicker

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • What's a 38mm fan?

Votes: 28 18.1%

• Total voters
I agree too, expecially users of those LCLC like H70, H80, H20 620 etc. benefit from these thick fans due to high static pressure at low speeds. I use a AFB1212HHE -4L15 (PWM) on my H70 rad. It runs always at 560 rpm, and under cpu-stress it goes up to 1.200 rpm short term.
I plan to use the new H70 core (rad is 38mm thick) with a delta GFB1212VHG compound fan, which is 50,8 mm thick :) The fan is expected to be able to cool enough by running at 450 rpm. Results will be postet here.

Recently i added a 50,8 mm thick fan into my daily rig. Due to it's beeing PWM-equiped it runs quiet at 650 rpm, pumping up to 4.000 when needed.

Quiet and strong.

My god, I've never seen anything like it! Whats the throughtput of that sucker and at what dba rating? :shock:

Since I've now 3x computers here I really only use my computer for gaming. Been thinking about replacing the stock fans on my Corsair H100 with something a bit beefier.

Currently looking to get two of these Delta fans to and will give those a try should my current setup not be up to keeping my rig cool in the hotter months of the year. Aussie summers always make things interesting.

Delta FFB01212VHE 120mm x 38mm - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300435389607?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hopefully these will run off the fan controller built into the Corsair H100 unit no worries. I figure these will keep any stray wires being sucked in and prevent damage should a fan come loose (had a 110CFM fan kill one of my systems back in the day when it came off the heatsink): http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290607200378?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Last edited:
Hello mjw21a,

this gfb0912SHG is a pwm-model, so you can run it between 560 and 4.000 rpm, using bios control or dedicated diy pwm-controller.

For Corsair H-series rad i recommend to take a pwm-fan like this one.
This Nidec is used in Dell rigs. It is able to run very very quiet at near 600 rpm, but also at 4.000 rpm pushing 160 cfm:
nidec_betav-ta450dc_1.dp4u.jpg
nidec_betav-ta450dc_1.urnf.jpg
They aren't expensive but high quality. Beware of the need to rewire the fan. Code is GND black, 12V+ red, tach white, PWM blue. It must be equipped with a standard 4 pin plug.

The two fans you've postet aren't pwm-fans, so it's difficult to control them. If you're searching for the real extreme superpower, take these nidecs.
Make shure to connect the power wires (GND / 12V+) direct to PSU (molex) and only the tach and pwm-wire to your mainboard. If you do so, you'll have a lot of fun with these fans. Other users also will recommend some good high-cfm fans i'm sure.

Thank you nothor for those links. This is a very nice fan you've found, and indeed not expensive. I love the blade shape.

I have some non-PWM Nidec fans which I believe are well built. These look to be the same. I'd like to pop a pair of them on my D14 when my wife clears the purchase.

Thanks nothor, I think I may get two of thpse Delta's. No rewiring needed, hopefully they're quiet at low speed. Should be just what I need to keep the heat at bay when gaming in summer..... I'm afraid the cost of shipping ($25) on the Nidec is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

It's weird when you're sitting there wearing just shorts sweating while gaming as the computer raises the temperature of the whole room. Floor fan just moves the heat around the room, doesn't cool things down.

Just out of interest, how noisy are these fans? A minimum fan speed of 1500RPM would probably be a bit noisier than my stock coolers but I'm curious about by how much.... The possibility of a full 253CFM is nuts. I feel like getting them just to see how it goes. :D

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140567023940?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Last edited:
I've been fine with using case-included fans, as I always buy a decent quality case. These almost always come with a 38mm+ fan inside.

I agree with the weird sweating, mjw21a. Sometimes when I game during the winter, in below 0°F weather, I open the window for free cooling. Family thinks I'm crazy then, but heat really builds with lights and the computer.

Lol, we don't get nice low temps like that in Australia. At this moment the outside temp is 33 degrees celsius and a reported humidity level of 70%. Inside with the computer on it gets even hotter. Winters better when it might get as low as 18-22 degree's but right now is horrible. The test of a stable overclock with AMD for me is whether I can game without the computer crashing/restarting. My problem these days seems to be that while I can keep the CPU stable (H100) the video card itself may sometimes overheat and crash, and I don't even overclock that.

I believe clock throttling occurs now with Bulldozer which means there's no longer a reason for me to stick with AMD anymore. Makes it more difficult to see when you've got heat issues. I know there are other ways to determine this though I really can't be stuffed running benchies to see if my sytem is throttling or not. I'm a lazy overclocker ;)

mjw21a

look at this vid at youtube to get an idea of the noise that Delta PFC1212DE brings.

Last edited:
Lol, we don't get nice low temps like that in Australia. At this moment the outside temp is 33 degrees celsius and a reported humidity level of 70%. Inside with the computer on it gets even hotter. Winters better when it might get as low as 18-22 degree's but right now is horrible. The test of a stable overclock with AMD for me is whether I can game without the computer crashing/restarting. My problem these days seems to be that while I can keep the CPU stable (H100) the video card itself may sometimes overheat and crash, and I don't even overclock that.

I believe clock throttling occurs now with Bulldozer which means there's no longer a reason for me to stick with AMD anymore. Makes it more difficult to see when you've got heat issues. I know there are other ways to determine this though I really can't be stuffed running benchies to see if my sytem is throttling or not. I'm a lazy overclocker ;)

Both intel and amd chips offer the ability to turn off the throtteling features if your that bothered by them. To double that for amd just make sure that your not installing the clean and quiet software, and you should be runninga constant cpu speed all the time. Sometimes this software is labled EPU software.

That airflows so good I just want it. I wear headphones whenever gaming anyway so it should be too much of a problem. I don't think my intake fans on the case will be sufficient to keep up with the two fans on my rad then though. A good thing there's a fair few openings in this case I guess.

Hmmm, I got rid of Turbo boost. Prefer a constant speed boost across all cores, then enable CnQ from there on to drops temps and poer useage.

Last edited:
Ok, I've ordered the 253CFM Delta's. Hopefully these will arrive in a week or two. No chance of overheating in summer now, maybe I can overclock some more....

I find that a 200+ CFM server fan lowers my CPU load temps by up to 10C, and coupling that with cold winter air lowers my temps by a further 30C - this is why I was able to get 48C load on my 4GHz 920 last winter :D

Depending what CPU I buy for "fun" this time round, expect more ridiculous chilled air cooling with muchas 38mm fans :thumb:

I find that a 200+ CFM server fan lowers my CPU load temps by up to 10C, and coupling that with cold winter air lowers my temps by a further 30C - this is why I was able to get 48C load on my 4GHz 920 last winter :D

Depending what CPU I buy for "fun" this time round, expect more ridiculous chilled air cooling with muchas 38mm fans :thumb:

What're you looking at getting. My understanding is that Bulldozer can give some impressive clocks, even it that doesn't go hand in hand with actual performance. You going for clocks or performance this time around?

BTW, trying to convince one of my mates to go with one of these Delta screamers now too. He's running a Phenom II 955BE with stock cooling, needless to say its not stable. Going to give him my old Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and get one of those Delta's on it. Should be sweet :D

Now to convince him that overclocking is a good idea

Last edited:
Heh - I just bought an i7 980 (non-extreme) and hope to have it by the weekend. Current temp outside is just below zero C, so overclocking conditions simply could not be better! :bday:

Yup, my mate ordered one of these fans for his rig. Will chuck it on a good on a Xigmatek HDT-S1283. Should keep his rig nice and cool through the summer months. I've ordered 3x extra fans which I'll sell to other at a slight price premium over the coming months.

I would be jealous of that i7 though I'm still quite happy with my X6. Nothing really pushes it even close to 50% most of the time so I figure its good for another 2-3 years.

Yeah - I've had a 12-thread CPU before (i7 970) and they are just so powerful it's ridiculous, but if I was doing a lot of video production then I'd definitely get one for keeps.

This one is for some 3D benching at 4.5+ GHz, and if the chip is good enough I might also be able to achieve 5GHz Super Pi with air cooling. :D

Heh - I just bought an i7 980 (non-extreme) and hope to have it by the weekend. Current temp outside is just below zero C, so overclocking conditions simply could not be better! :bday:

you bought an i7 980 just for fun :shock: :drool:

should be interesting to see the temps result though :thup:

Yep, but I'll probably sell it soon as it was very expensive - a few days/maybe two weeks of overclocking, then onto a new owner. :D

I had to sell the i7 970 for the exact same reason, even thought it was golden :rain:

Bulldozers are cheap and put out a ton of heat, good for Big Fans :D
Too bad performance is dubious at best, but whatever!

Not really an issue Bobnova, I'll not be upgrading for a while. My upgrade bug is tingling hence upgrading my cooling and so on. Thing is, I won't really gain anything in going to a faster CPU. My current setup is just fine, run faster than my mates i7 due to the SSD and overclocking brings it within spitting distance on other things.

Because of the SSD my rig feel faster all round. I'm going to try wait for the successor to Trinity. If AMD pulls off the whole vectorised GPU architecture with full integration with x86 then theoretically this will be the biggest jump in performance we've seen in years. With their constant failure to keep up on manufactuing process though I'm not sure they can pull it off. It's a good thing they're moving off SOI though (change to TSMC) as I think this has been holding them back. Intel made the right choices regarding manufacturing. If AMD can't come up with a significantly better architecture in the next few years I don't think they'll continue to exist.

Back