• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many actually still use 38mm fans (or thicker) on a daily use rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you still run 38mm fans on your daily driver?

• Yes

Votes: 68 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 56 36.1%
  • Thicker

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • What's a 38mm fan?

Votes: 28 18.1%

• Total voters
I don't think I should be able to hear my PC from the other end of the house while I'm watching TV.
I pretty much stopped using serious-CFM fans when I did this rebuild. The PC's still not silent, but it's mostly quiet now. The noise of the old box was making me crazy, and temperatures haven't changed enough (other than the 920 being a tiny furnace) to warrant going back.

Seriously? I really need to look into that..
VVV

Edit: Forgot to add, I still have a SD 1011 because they rock on controllers.

Last edited:
@ grumperfish, I stopped using 38mm fans for this reason too, until I discovered that you can get PWM versions which will run at ~1000rpm and provide better airflow than expensive branded fans like Scythe, Noctua etc :D

I run my Deltas at full speed about 0.00000001% of the time, even when benching. Usually they are fine at min rpm, which is about 800-900. :thup:

Yes, i' using two of them. Having a small HP/Compaq-OEM-MicroATX Case, they fit either.

img_5632gqpe.jpg

First there's on the left as intake on that Corsair H70 a Foxconn 120x38 Fan 0.9A (Foxconn PV123812DSPF 01) which runns very quiet at 760 rpm. At full load it offers 150 cfm @ 3.500 rpm, sound profile is really pleasant. Only whoosshing, no screaming at all. Well done. Picture ist not actial at all, i rewired that fan and added black heatshrink and a 4-pin-PWM-header.

img_4488gm2n.jpg

In the back as an exhaust there runs a Delta AFC0912DE @ 840 rpm. At full load it brings up to 5.000 rpm and it is very very loud and screaming. Due to that PWM-duty 12,5 % it runs quiet with a slight ticking which doesn't matter.

Both fans are connected to the CPU-PWM-Fan-Header of MSI H57M-ED65, Power + Ground to molex. The whole PC runs as a very quiet working gaming machine and a HTPC in the living room. :)

Wherever i can use a 38 mm Fan, i would do. :)

rearrange the fans,
and here's what they look now :D

ilia0xfwha21j4bn696c.jpg

You are running really fast fans and you don't have the grills cut out? That is a huge chunk of airflow gone.

You are running really fast fans and you don't have the grills cut out? That is a huge chunk of airflow gone.

just got my rotary tool last week, so I'm such a noob on cutting the metal...
after some practice I'm sure that my case will loose some weights:p

Not currently. Did have a thicker 92mm Delta on my TT lanbox, but only using the 120mm fans that were already in this Antec. Got a couple scythe slipstreams on my heatsink, but once I OC this thing and find it's getting warm I may order something a little louder.

Recently added a new 80x38 Fan to my HP Datavault, which is no big boy in Size. But this fan has to fit, even with brutal force.With some luck and some ably fingers it fits now without to have cut out some metal. The cutout fangrills is for better airflow. Between backplane and fan you'l bring no sheet of paper :) Works fine, temp of the drive decrease about 5°C. No Problem with noise, the drives are even louder. Pics. Fan is a Everflow 120838. The upper one is the stock fan.

img_5660d7yq.jpg
img_5657e7k4.jpg

Daily? No, my daily is an ITX system. My gaming and benching rigs? yes of course. Nothing but the best for them

Id love to be able to afford a daily itx rig, and my gaming rig, but unfortunatly, my gaming rig IS my daily rig =[
That's terrible! I, for example, have my Gmail rig, my OCForums rig, my Minecraft rig, my general-purpose Chrome rig, a backup rig if I want to use Firefox, my folding rig, my other rig specifically for NOT folding... :D

That's terrible! I, for example, have my Gmail rig, my OCForums rig, my Minecraft rig, my general-purpose Chrome rig, a backup rig if I want to use Firefox, my folding rig, my other rig specifically for NOT folding... :D

Is that all? I am sad for you man.

Recently i added a 50,8 mm thick fan into my daily rig. Due to it's beeing PWM-equiped it runs quiet at 650 rpm, pumping up to 4.000 when needed.

img_59947k1sa.jpg

img_5999mwwm4.jpg

Quiet and strong.

I am actually a bit surprised and impressed with these results so far. It seems the consensus lately has been for Gentle Typhoons, but the numbers are showing nearly twice as many people using 38mm or thicker fans.

I don't think it's a particularly balanced poll. Everyone who uses 38mm fans sees the title and comes running to vote "yes". :)

I don't think it's a particularly balanced poll. Everyone who uses 38mm fans sees the title and comes running to vote "yes". :)

yes, indeed...
maybe it would be better if the title says something like this: "what kind of fans do you use inside your case?"

and the inside poll will be: less than 25mm, 25mm, 38mm, thicker than 38mm

cheers:popcorn:

I also think it's reflective of people who frequent the cooling subforum - many of us are fan fanatics, and no fan fanatic exists who does not have at least one 38mm fan in use. :D

I'm using a VA450DC on my H60 right now. They aren't super quiet at low speed, but not bad.
I'm hoping the Joujye fans are quieter.

Back