• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many actually still use 38mm fans (or thicker) on a daily use rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you still run 38mm fans on your daily driver?

• Yes

Votes: 68 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 56 36.1%
  • Thicker

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • What's a 38mm fan?

Votes: 28 18.1%

• Total voters
I'm using a VA450DC on my H60 right now. They aren't super quiet at low speed, but not bad.
I'm hoping the Joujye fans are quieter.

I love the VA450DC but yeah it's got an annoying motor whine even at 800rpm. I'm using one of my FFCs at the moment and it is better than the Nidec at low speed, but nothing even comes close to the AFC sound profile.

I swapped the VA540DC out for a JouJye Twin Turbo Thingie. Looks and acts delta-ish, has full stop at low PWM, and is pretty nice at very low speed.
Further into the low-lowmedium range there's a fair amount of noise. At full blast they're remarkably tolerable, though loud.
I'll have more info on them in a few days if all goes well.
What is cool is that they have loooong cables, a molex for power and a 4p fan header for RPM/PWM on a motherboard.

:clap:

Bob, show us vid's and pic's, can't await to see a new callenger in the competition for the best high-cfm-pwm fan around here.

Got mail from guangdong/china with a fine fan inside: Delta GFB0912GHG (PWM). :thup: Had to rewire it because the cables were plugged in a server fan connector, but cable colours were strikt Delta-like. 3.3 A! Runs at the full range from silent to beastly. Will post further Pics and vids soon, esp. comparision between the GFB0912SHG -SP00 (1.56A) and this GFB0912GHG -7C90 (3.30A).

:clap:

Bob, show us vid's and pic's, can't await to see a new callenger in the competition for the best high-cfm-pwm fan around here.

Got mail from guangdong/china with a fine fan inside: Delta GFB0912GHG (PWM). :thup: Had to rewire it because the cables were plugged in a server fan connector, but cable colours were strikt Delta-like. 3.3 A! Runs at the full range from silent to beastly. Will post further Pics and vids soon, esp. comparision between the GFB0912SHG -SP00 (1.56A) and this GFB0912GHG -7C90 (3.30A).
I'm going to guess that your idea of 'silent' is not the same as mine. :)

Not sure, I can't say I can remember hearing it in the benching section.
Must be something like "stable". Except possibly not specifically banned, just irrelevant. :D

Just so long as you boys are having fun and no one gets hurt. :chair:

But getting hurt is half the fun... I stuck my thumb into the fan on the picture by accident... I loved my "ghetto rigged" setup from before I upgraded HW and bought a real desk and case.

Let's just say that fan blades spinning at 6K rpm will always win when confronted by finger nails.

wrjn0j.jpg
33kdis8.jpg

I have an aircooled rig that lives with my family, so it needs to be well behaved. The cpu and top intake fans piddle along quietly during low demand, but spool up when the cpu ramps up to 4GHz. Even then, it's pretty quiet.

So, although I have lots of 38mm fans, I'm using only 25mm fans on my rig. OTOH, if I ever took leave of my senses and put a rad in my rig, I suspect I'd slap my San Aces on it, or the PWM Deltas. No matter what, a 25mm fan won't scale up static pressure like a 38.

No matter what, a 25mm fan won't scale up static pressure like a 38.

+1 This is why I will always use a 38mm fan on my CPU heatsink.

If I had enough space in my case (which I don't), all my fans would be 38mm PWM fans on low speed.

Bob, here do you find a datasheet to that JuoJye Fan. With Conrad there's a large retailer in germany which is going to sell this fan in their shops beginning on Dec 23'rd. 2011. It'l cost around 27 EUR which is not cheap actually. Please post some pics and perhaps vid's of this if you can.

Two Panaflo FBA12G12H on my radiator along with a Delta WFB1212HE for intake duties. All three are being controlled via two Thermaltake fan controllers that came with their Volcano 7+ heatsink and set to low nearly all the time.

I have 3x Ultra Kaze 3000s. 1 is on my Silver Arrow, 1 is rear exhaust and the 3rd is at the back of the 5.25" bays

Hi Tw33k! Nice to see you. How is that UK3K working out on your SA?

Last edited:
Hi mate. I just joined here today. I ran a stress test yesterday CPU @ 4GHz never hit 40c

For me the need to use high powered Delta VHE fans disappeared as soon as LCLCs went mainstream. Especially now that you have chips that no longer benefit from voltage (sandybridge) there's almost no point to using the high speed fans of yore.

On the contrary, extreme air cooling enthusiasts benefit from these monster fans.

I have a TRUE, and similar coolers which have the fins very close together really like the high static pressure of thick server fans. The beauty of these fans is that many of them are PWM so I'm running them at 800 RPM when not benching, so virtually silent; and in the case of the San Ace monsters, 6000rpm/260 CFM at the touch of a button. :thup:

On the contrary, extreme air cooling enthusiasts benefit from these monster fans.

I have a TRUE, and similar coolers which have the fins very close together really like the high static pressure of thick server fans. The beauty of these fans is that many of them are PWM so I'm running them at 800 RPM when not benching, so virtually silent; and in the case of the San Ace monsters, 6000rpm/260 CFM at the touch of a button. :thup:

I agree, except that it isn't only air coolers that can benefit from the higher static pressure. About a year or so ago, I was running a Black Ice GT Stealth 360 in my setup, which is a high fin density radiator at 30 FPI. It started out with a set of 3 Yate Loon medium speeds moving air through it. Because it was winter when I had originally put the loop together, temps were great, and the rig was quiet, too quiet for my liking. When summer started coming around, load temps started pushing 60C, which was too high for me. When I swapped those Yates out for the Delta AFB1212VHE fans that I mentioned in the OP, I saw a drop of about 15C, at 7V. This could have been due to the increased airflow, but I think the higher static pressure had more to do with it.

Yeah, and the AFB Deltas have a really nice blade design (I use the PWM version, AFC1212DE, either on my TRUE or as an exhaust fan).

When it comes to high static pressure these Nidec and San Ace monster fans in the PWM controller thread really take the crown. The very popular and elusive San Ace H1011 has the same impeller design as the P1G01 (monster fan) which is probably why it always fared best as a CPU cooler or rad fan.

Papst might not have the best static pressure but are apparently the best noise/performance fans.

Back