• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many fans on your Heater core or Radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How many fans on your Heater core or Radiator?

• One

Votes: 45 26.5%
  • Two

Votes: 81 47.6%
  • Three

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Four

Votes: 22 12.9%
  • Five

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Six

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • More than Six

Votes: 9 5.3%

• Total voters
sunrunner20 said:
Are all of those running air though heater cores/rads?
No. I have 2 Sunbeam controllers, for 7 fans and my cold cathode. One controller was not enough, but 2 is more than enough so what can I do? Each fan is on it's own channel; 6 on the rad and one more next to the rad which is a panaflo M1A. The 8th channel is the on/off dimmer for the cold cathode lights I have. The beauty of the Sunbeam controller is that you can turn the devices OFF all the way... I used to have to shut the machine down to dust bust the fan grilles in front, they get dusty quick, now I can just turn off all the fans and vacuum away. Normally I run my fans full tilt, noise is not an issue for me, this is at my office with tons of noise anyway.

nikhsub1 said:
No. I have 2 Sunbeam controllers, for 7 fans and my cold cathode. One controller was not enough, but 2 is more than enough so what can I do? Each fan is on it's own channel; 6 on the rad and one more next to the rad which is a panaflo M1A. The 8th channel is the on/off dimmer for the cold cathode lights I have. The beauty of the Sunbeam controller is that you can turn the devices OFF all the way... I used to have to shut the machine down to dust bust the fan grilles in front, they get dusty quick, now I can just turn off all the fans and vacuum away. Normally I run my fans full tilt, noise is not an issue for me, this is at my office with tons of noise anyway.

Nihksub1 is to modest ;) Check out his BEAST II (About 20 pics )

front.jpg

I have one 120MM Titon in a pull configuration on my 86 chevette heatercore. It is relatively quiet and pushes a nice amount of air. It gets the job done (gets rid of annoying high pitched CPU fan noise and keeps a consistent temperature).

My only complaint is dust that accumulates on and in the heatercore fins. The only quick way of removing all the dust is to remove it and blast through the fins with water- but that's a pain.

Two 120mm fans push-pull on a JR-120 radiator. I'm using about a 2" deep custom steel shroud on each side. It's all sealed up with soft foam weather stripping.

One Delta FFB1212VHE at 3-4V. Had two at one time on my BIX but one in pull config is quieter and still pulls a good amount of air.

When not considering the price, I like this Delta model more than the Sanyos in terms of noise/airflow and build quality, but the Sanyos are still pretty nice, better built than Panaflos.

My setup is very similar to nikhsub1 but I set my fans to the controller up in pairs. The front and the rear on each fan is tied together. I thought this was a better setup as both fans are running the same speed getting the same voltage. I didn't want to run into the front fans fighting with the rear fans. Guess it's just preference.

Here's a pic before I finished the wiring.
attachment.php

Give it time, its been 3 days only! I am changing my w/c setup but now I have 1 fan blowing out on the rad. And ChuckS whats your room temp? Those are some nice temps! And does having fans on both sides of the rad help a lot in temps? Like a 2-4*c difference? I know it depends on your setup but what have you guys experienced? Thanks and sorry to get a bit off topic

Then you have two options. 1. Get 100 posts and buy from the classifieds, 2. Find them on eBay (his eBay name is "dockshardware" I think)

Im using 2 of the Sanyo Denkis on my 2-302 HC, pushing through.

One question though, about what rpm are they at on 7v? What about 10v? Cuz I have mine at about 1600 rpm according to my aerogate II, but I cant tell what voltage that is. Anyone know of a way to measure the voltage, or know about what this is at? I ask because its not LOUD, but it is noticable. Mind you, much quieter than my 92mm tornado before, heh.

You normally measure Voltage with some sort of meter. I happen to have access to a nice $300 Fluke Digital Multimeter, but you can probably find a suitable meter at a local electronic supply store for <$50

Edit: And you measure the V while its under load. (aka, measure it while the fan is on)

Last edited:
So many CFM junkies! ;)

I use one fan, but it's a decent 120x38 80CFM model. I did 7v it though.

The poll is somewhat imprecise as there is no real output specification. Are 2 80mm's better/more than 1 172mm rotron? Probably not...

The point of the poll is not to find out how much airflow each person has but how many fans they are using on their heater core. The results of the poll will affect how I design a fan controller.

Back